Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have any odd (well to other types) sub hobbies or fascinations in which you can hardly be described as an expert, just an enthusiastic amateur?

For instance, during the Atlantic hurricane season I love reading about them and following them. I barely understand much of it, but hurricanes, in fact, natural disasters in general have me like a moth to a candle. Volcanoes, mass floods, earthquakes, tornadoes...... (Needless to say I loved films like Twister and The Day After Tomorrow, despite lacking in plot) I just think it incredibly mindblowingly awesome that nature can create stuff hundreds of times more powerful than anything humans can make. I know these disasters can cause massive devastation and incomprehensible heartbreak everywhere (and I can't begin to understand this, living in the UK) - yet still there are stories of triumphs over these disasters, again, must be a great feeling to know that you've survived something and learned to rebuild. Also outside my understanding and experience.

Any thoughts, or odd hobbies?

·
Registered
472 Posts
To anyone not on this forum: my recent fascination with personality types.
This. Also, different kinds of diseases and how they ruin/ruined peoples' lives (especially composers like Mozart), animation, blogging, penmanship, botany, marine biology, film, fashion through history, and learning how to be a fop. All kinds of fun stuff. <3

Editpls:
I forgot to mention that I'm developing an interest in weaponry (mainly old guns) and genetics!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ha. Actually, I think I can count that one in as well. Although it's research here, practice elsewhere, and no-one else IRL knows I'm doing it.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
My recent fascinations: dressing like a girl and putting on makeup. I'd always thought girls who spent too much time on themselves were shallow and dumb. But it's surprisingly satisfying :laughing:

Then, there are reality shows that I enjoy: Top Chef and Project Runway... It's fun to take a breather from all the serious stuff like psychology :wink:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This. Also, different kinds of diseases and how they ruin/ruined peoples' lives
Interesting. So another fairly morbid one...

Reactions: nim and Fiddler

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My recent fascinations: dressing like a girl and putting on makeup. I'd always thought girls who spent too much time on themselves were shallow and dumb. But it's surprisingly satisfying :laughing:
I had to quickly check your gender then.:laughing::crazy::blushed: (sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone:tongue:)

Then, there are reality shows that I enjoy: Top Chef and Project Runway... It's fun to take a breather from all the serious stuff like psychology :wink:
My escapism stuff is Top Gear and Grand Designs. Reality type competition shows just frustrate me.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Currently I am enjoying Naval information, reading David Webers Sci-Fi series to get a futuristic look on naval ships, playing a semi-realistic naval game, and planning on doing indepth research on naval ships, naval terms, naval anything :laughing:.

·
Banned
140 Posts
Well, Carl-Jung and his work with personality types intrigues me alot at the moment.

Some topics always lights me up like anthropology, the study of human races, and the many differences between the human races, currently I am curious as to why the people in northern Europe are the only ones who can blush, or has blonde and red hair colours, and also the only ones with different eye colours than brown. I also love to read about Homo Neanderthalensis, Homo Habilis or any other human race.
Also ancient history really intrigues me and always have, I love reading about ancient Greece or Rome, and I love even more to read about the ancient tribes and the period of the dark age where the barbarian tribes moved and settled new lands, lands which often followed them throughout history till this day, I like you can see that where they settled back then still roughly corresponds to where their descendants are today, im also always curious as to what made a certain tribe settle a certain place.
Thats the two major ones for me, anthropology and ancient history.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
This, and any language. I adooooooore languages. I want to know them allllll. Alllll of themmmmm.

(I've got the sudden urge to study now.)

(And like magic, it's gone. Goddammit.)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"Sub hobbies".

sigh... ONLY an INTP... :laughing:
Of course. The Kings and Queens of making up language? Or to always have something that is still important but lower in the priorities? Either way...

Hey now. I work with an XSTP. You've always got a bee in your bonnet about something. Come on. Tell us the truth. Out with it. You can do it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have my skecthbook, which isn't that odd, but what I write on the last pages of it is latin and greek words I can find from my textbooks, this has helped me understand many word combinations better, even the word century makes mores sense now...
There might be some other odd things aswell, which I can't recall right now..

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've thought of a very old hobby of mine - code writing. You know A=1, B=2, or Z=A, Y=B, but I used to do more complex ones. I also loved attempting to break codes (simple ones, mind, I was never Einstein)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I like illnesses,, ever since I was a child. Not getting them, of course, but reading about them and think about how, as it affects them physically, how it effects them emotionally. Sort of like, how do you feel knowing that you shall die? The process of dying is intriguing too. How does it feel as you're dying? Do you just black out, or do you simply start fading off? How does it make you feel? Mental illnesses and emotions by themselves count too.

I also enjoy reading about kings and queens and empires, and the tragedies at happened within them. Natural disasters and aftermaths, also. :3

(Doo~Doo~Doo, ignore me; just being creepy. :crazy:)

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Of course. The Kings and Queens of making up language? Or to always have something that is still important but lower in the priorities? Either way...

Hey now. I work with an XSTP. You've always got a bee in your bonnet about something. Come on. Tell us the truth. Out with it. You can do it.
...what...(the f are you smoking)? lol

and can I have some?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I like thinking about social patterns. This could be predicting outcomes or trying to develop a better solution. It's like a lifelong desire that draws me to everything. Politics, Project Runway ( my favorite show) , and speculating on Pro Wrestling winners.

So I could read a news story then think about possible outcomes months from now based on the story. I guess that I would call this a hobby but it may be more of an obsession.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts