Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My people it's 4/20. (doesn't really mean much to me)

Are you part of any subcultures? Or come from one, or relate to any? Or have been influenced by any?

Here are some things I would consider, I guess, some common sub-cultures:

Hip-hop
Dance rave psychedelic
Rock tatoo situations
Country and or red neck
Ethnicities (optional)
Religions (optional)

etc. anything else

Discuss your experiences.

Personally I have come from some south american influences, although I haven't really been fully emersed. I have a group of friends that were very into the rave scene and do a lot of drugs. I never really liked that (then why did you hang out with them?). Well I don't really hang out with them anymore. They just sort of became that way in high school.

One of my best friends, who was just really outgoing and stuff and everyone likes him, got into all of that stuff. He's a pretty successful dubstep DJ. I don't know if any of you know Bassnectar, but he plays some of my friends music in his sets.

I also had some korean friends in high school who were very apart of hip-hop culture. So I had some interesting experiences with getting to know about their cultures. I also had a friend who was really into screamo/hardcore and I went to some shows with him and met some people.

Anyway, just curious if you have any experiences with sub-cultures.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I feel like I've gotten a pretty good sample pack of the subcultures.
Most recently, I can relate to your experience. I was in a friend group that was really into the rave/drug scene. I guess I was pretty naive going into it. There was a few things I liked about the subculture and style. But after a while. I realized that those kids were really into drugs. And I stopped hanging out with them for that reason.

The longest subculture trend I adopted was probably punk rock. I love old school punk rock when I was in high school. I loved the fashion, the music, the attitude. I got into the whole "straightedge" thing for a while, went to a lot of shows. It was a lot of fun. But eventually, I decided I should try to look more like a normal person if I wanted to have a serious life and get a job.

I never got into anything really Southern or ******* though. Which is kinda weird because I technically live in the South so I've come across a lot of those people, but I just never liked Country music or Country food, really didn't like anything about anything Southern.

Growing up, one of my best friends lived in a house behind me with her grandmother who was Japanese [fresh off the boat]. She didn't speak English very well. All her clothes and things in her house were Japanese. Maybe because of that, I've always had an appreciation for and felt comfortable being around Asian cultures. I've had a lot of Asian friends. I'm just attracted to their cultures very much.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Not sure if I fit into any subculture per se. But I am 2nd generation Korean American and we are our own breed; many of my friends who happen to be 2nd generation KAs and I don't relate much to Koreans born, raised, and living in the Motherland, or the 1st generation KAs living and/or naturalized in the States, yet I also think we don't relate entirely to American culture either. Growing up I found my Korean and American sides clashing, but nowadays, thanks to good ole' age on my side and a lot of self-acceptance, I'm learning to appreciate the richness and uniqueness that my being a 2nd generation KA provides in my life. I benefit from and appreciate the intermingle between the Eastern and Western schools of thought and see much value in both.

Since we are on the topic of subcultures though, I do sometimes lament that I wasn't born earlier because the punk era really resonates with me. I've met a few individuals who were deep into that time period/movement, and they exuded effortless cool and individuality. I have a soft spot for punks, rebels, anti-establishment trouble-makers. Doesn't help that my dad was also quite the maverick in his time (before the punk era btw); his stories of his youth are classic!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I guess I was part of the artsy crowd though I never considered it a subculture, just friends with similar interests. Everyone was generally laid back, fun loving, and kind of eclectic. Definitely didn't follow current fashion and marched to their own drum. I'd guess most of them as xSFP and I knew one was ENFP. Some of us did the mural backdrops for the prom. A group of us were also asked to paint the ceiling in the student affairs building, but local laws prohibited us from getting up on scaffolding to do it.

Wow, memory lane.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Since we are on the topic of subcultures though, I do sometimes lament that I wasn't born earlier because the punk era really resonates with me. I've met a few individuals who were deep into that time period/movement, and they exuded effortless cool and individuality. I have a soft spot for punks, rebels, anti-establishment trouble-makers. Doesn't help that my dad was also quite the maverick in his time (before the punk era btw); his stories of his youth are classic!
LOL I played in a punk band in Liverpool.......we once supported the Damned at Eric's Club (which was on the site of the Cavern, where the beatles started out) and regularly supported a band called Half Man Half Biscuit who are still going strong! I remember punk....'cos I woz there!!

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
LOL I played in a punk band in Liverpool.......we once supported the Damned at Eric's Club (which was on the site of the Cavern, where the beatles started out) and regularly supported a band called Half Man Half Biscuit who are still going strong! I remember punk....'cos I woz there!!
Lucky you! *bows*
Did you sport a mohawk? Sorry for lapsing into stereotypes, but those mohawks are difficult to up-keep...now I'm thinking of AquaNet hairspray (80s baby here, afterall).

·
Registered
142 Posts
umm... a "gamer" since the nes days.. i do celebrate 4/20. under 30 business owner. 2nd generation mexican american (first american in my entire bloodline on my dads side) umm... in school as in life i am a bit of a chameleon. classic rock fan?? i dunno lol. i never dressed in a way that would me part of a "sub culture".

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Lucky you! *bows*
Did you sport a mohawk? Sorry for lapsing into stereotypes, but those mohawks are difficult to up-keep...now I'm thinking of AquaNet hairspray (80s baby here, afterall).
No! Brit punk was rather different from the US offshoot......We were more like the Ramones and Wire than Souxie and the Banshees.....band was called 'The Lawnmower'....we never 'made it' but we had a few laughs along the way!

·
Registered
NiTe 549
5,321 Posts
One of my best friends, who was just really outgoing and stuff and everyone likes him, got into all of that stuff. He's a pretty successful dubstep DJ. I don't know if any of you know Bassnectar, but he plays some of my friends music in his sets.
I know and enjoy-very-much Bassnectar.

Subcultures? I have generally considered myself a culture of one. My life has shaped me in some ways, but I think I've shaped myself just as deeply.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Great thread idea!

I don't know how extensive our subculture is, but I'll put it here anyway. I think it's sort of a cocktail of *******, rock & roll guitarist, superhero, and intuitive playboy ;)

My Green Beret best friend (who's also an ex-Marine) calls us "Barrel Chested Freedom Fighters". We're a little on the ******* side, we probably have on dusty boots, jeans, and an old RATT concert t-shirt, and most of us play something in a rock and roll band, but just as a hobby. We're good at making money at unconventional jobs. We're Ns who live in a very S way, and people are usually intrigued (we're also a bit narcissistic ;). We have forearm tattoos and we're married with kids. When we drink we drink too much, and we'll probably hit on your girlfriend just to make her smile. We'd do anything for anybody, stand up for people who need it, and there's probably been at least one old Camaro in our past.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Actually... online message boards count as subcultures... so, I will say I have participated in those in the past and they all developed their own unique forms of etiquette, inside jokes, etc...

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually... online message boards count as subcultures... so, I will say I have participated in those in the past and they all developed their own unique forms of etiquette, inside jokes, etc...
Yeah perC is it's own subculture

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
As an introvert and having lived primarily in a rural area, I really haven't been a part of any subculture. :eek:P None come to mind, anyway. I guess if PerC counts, then this is it. *shrug*

·
Banned
956 Posts
I grew up with family members who were and are still very much into the rave scene, so that kind of music is sort of familiar. Even my mom was into it for a little while. Alice Deejay's "Better Off Alone" reminds me of her and that era every time I hear it. I went to raves and stuff for a little while and I liked it because of the adrenaline and 'togetherness' I felt. But that was just a little phase, I guess. It makes me feel weird now thinking about how artificial/superficial it was, for me at least.

I come from a Vietnamese background but I never really felt I picked up anything from my family's culture. I don't even feel the pride that most people have with their culture to be honest. I just never really thought about it, I'm just familiar with it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm a gamer (I do enjoy WoW), I love philosophy (usually time and reality), science (quantum mechanics especially), anything relating to humans (preferably studying them lol), different cultures (previously implied), music, cutting-edge technology, art (especially sculpting and anything with color), and just researching things in general. In school I was part of the "brains", but I had one or two friends across all cliques (except the athletes, the ones I went to school with were too shallow).

I also have this thing where I need to understand how everything works, no matter how simple or complex, I just need to know what it is and how; even if at a general abstract level.

what sub-culture would you put me in? :)

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
In high school I would have been considered a Metalhead; long hair, heavy metal T-shirts, a still abiding love for Iron Maiden. I was also on the periphery of Hippiedom (attended some local and one national Rainbow Family gathering of the tribes). Bit of an iconoclast and rebel in high school...but in a nice way...:). Still a bit like that, actually.

Can Shoestring Budget Backpackers be considered a subculture? Also Role-Player; various pen and paper versions in junior high, now mostly limited to occasionally participating on certain role-playing forums (shared stories), namely the old Adellion forum...not much anymore, though I still enjoy it. Was a bit of a Gamer in my youth; Atari 2600, Nintendo, Apple II, and had a brief online stint back in 1996-97 when Ultima Online was released.

The subculture I feel that most suited me, however, was the Linguist career field in the military. I truly felt that I had found my group, and still form an almost instant rapport with most military linguists or ex-linguists.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Rolling deep on the wolfpack here, bromeo... It entails howling like a wolf/drinking excessively/ and there was something else... Its a lot more fun than it sounds.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts