Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been somewhat controversial information on this... Do you think neglecting physical health is related to subtypes? I tend to "forget" to eat, sleep, etc. properly when I'm into something (good).

For example, when I'm doing something (reading, writing, arts, whatever) I'm really interested in I won't stop even when I might realize I'm actually hungry and that I haven't been eating much... Then I eventually realize how incredibly hungry I am and how much my body aches and wonder how did this happen again... I just wonder if this is an unhealthy use of sp variant or just having little sp variant or perhaps neither. Share.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
There has been somewhat controversial information on this... Do you think neglecting physical health is related to subtypes? I tend to "forget" to eat, sleep, etc. properly when I'm into something (good).

For example, when I'm doing something (reading, writing, arts, whatever) I'm really interested in I won't stop even when I might realize I'm actually hungry and that I haven't been eating much... Then I eventually realize how incredibly hungry I am and how much my body aches and wonder how did this happen again... I just wonder if this is an unhealthy use of sp variant or just having little sp variant or perhaps neither. Share.
ROFL... I do that all the time. I'm doing it right now, matter of fact.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heheh, poor you - poor us.

I'm thinking this is related to the need to get stimulation... It's worst when I'm spending my time online, it's too much for me, constant stimulation, 15+ pages open and my head nearly EXPLODING. Also, it could be related to having quite undeveloped Si and Se too, I don't notice my hunger before I'm very hungry O.O

·
Registered
637 Posts
lol @Staffan thats the name of my dad.

Ok sorry to the topic: YES! I do neglect my physical needs at times. Normally I have a very strong hunger for example, but when I'm into something it's like I can go on forever and ever. I get obsessed very easily with doing soemthing, and I can't stop. Could be anything really, even cleaning.
At that time, I don't feel if I'm tired or hungry or what ever. I can also neglect sleeping.
Staying up too late makes me feel overly energetic instead of tired (not the next morning though). Drinking alcohol never makes me tired either, just energetic and in the mood for bad stuff.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts

I usually forget to drink water or I get home from work and have something interesting to do...i'll forget to eat.....quite common thing. It isn't like I don't feel hungry or thirst, more like "I have better things to do then eat XD". Its sort of not that important in that moment. Getting sucked up into interesting things and forgetting to take care of myself has always been the norm for me....I should keep an alarm going for food and water times lol.

...I also stay up late till morning sometimes, because I lost track of time. The next morning I'll feel like death thou.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
I think it is related to instincts. Sp primaries and secondaries are better at taking care of themselves than sx/so or so/sx.

The one person I know who seriously neglects his health is 6 sx/so. Being a 6 he has a lot of anxiety and being sx/so he frequently forget to take care of himself, lives in a poorly heated place so that every winter he gets several colds and also overdoes it on the drugs. Another person who is so/sx has just gotten a surgery and the next day she was up like nothing has happened. She often minimizes her own physical ailments like they are nothing important.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Heheh, poor you - poor us.

I'm thinking this is related to the need to get stimulation... It's worst when I'm spending my time online, it's too much for me, constant stimulation, 15+ pages open and my head nearly EXPLODING. Also, it could be related to having quite undeveloped Si and Se too, I don't notice my hunger before I'm very hungry O.O
Lol... with me, I always have to pay special attention to making sure I'm not neglecting myself; it's pretty easy to forget about how hungry/tired/stressed I am if I'm fully absorbed in something. It's like I find it easier to occupy my mind and interest than I do to pay attention to more practical needs. I'm practical when it comes to getting something, but not so much if practicality is needed to maintain myself.

It might also have something to do with being Si-last.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
I do neglect my physical health because of two reasons, mainly:
- while doing something interesting, I forget about eating, sleeping etc.
- I don't like feeling weak or needy, so I tend to disregard any health issues.

Reactions: zallla

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yup, it happens all the time but I never 'forget'. I always know it's happening ... just too lazy to deal with having to eat or 'troublesome' sleep =\. Funny thing is I'm sp but that doesn't seem to help.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
Yup, it happens all the time but I never 'forget'. I always know it's happening ... just too lazy to deal with having to eat or 'troublesome' sleep =\. Funny thing is I'm sp but that doesn't seem to help.
Exactly. When I get into one of my unhealthy times, I rarely forget. Take staying up late... My thought process is more like, "Oh, it's 3 AM, I should go to bed... But I'm not really tired enough to easily fall asleep, so it might be better if I stay up longer 'til I'm exhausted, and I am mildly entertained by what I'm doing." That was my take on how unhealthy sp works, that it's basically making excuses on why not to do something. Laziness and "it's not worth it" is also a common theme, yeah. Point is, I'm still very aware of these things, just not doing it.

We all lose track of time, though, so things like that aren't really indicative unless it's a reoccurring, very common, problem. The question is, where is most of your attention? If you don't actively think about sp-related things (which aren't always about health or materials, since it varies from person to person), then you're probably not sp-first.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I think it is related to instincts. Sp primaries and secondaries are better at taking care of themselves than sx/so or so/sx.
I don't know what my stacking is but I'm not very good at taking care of my health. I don't enjoy working out and detest most food that is considered healthy. That said, I can't actually tune out hunger or thirst--they make me quite irritable. My need for sleep is something I have an easier time ignoring. I always saw the need for sleep as a "pain in the ass." I was raised in a theistic household and I can remember wondering to myself as a kid why God would be so cruel or dumb as to create beings who actually required sleep in order to function. I could understand sleep as an enjoyable indulgence on occasion, but as a biological requirement? Why? What was He thinking? Why didn't He just make us so that we didn't need sleep (or food for that matter) in the first place?

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
I don't forget to eat, sleep, or drink. Just the quality and time I spend on each goes way, way down. When I'm on a project I'm obsessed with, my sleep goes from 7 hours a night to two or three 35 minute naps (on a couch or floor or office chair). My food devolves from meals to candy bars and my water becomes Sprite and Dr. Pepper (carbonation burn helps keep me focused). Hygenie goes out the window entirely.

So while I'm still doing all the basic things, I'm not doing them as a service to myself. More a "get it out of the way" sort of thing.

Interestingly, while neglecting my personal needs doesn't bother me, it pisses off a lot of close family and friends. I can't tell you how often I've been chewed out for doing this to myself at the cost of finishing something.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I'm sp/so in stacking.

·
Banned
318 Posts
If you tend to forget about your sp variant, you probably just have it as your weakest preference. Not all people who have sp as their last have this tendency though.

I think carelessly staying up very late when I have to get up at 7 am is my biggest problem.

I generally tend to like to workout and eat healthy, but my goal here is to be toned and look good.

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
I do the same thing as y'all are talking about: I get so focused on whatever I'm doing that my physical needs are not a consideration. I certainly do feel them...but I'll push ahead despite feeling hungry, too tired, whatever. Then the sensation will go away, and I'll realize I "forgot" to eat dinner or whatnot.

I'm definitely sp-first, and when there's nothing else for me to focus on, I must follow the dictates of my body. I can only ignore it when something interesting overrides that.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I do it too. I get caught up in doing something and until i finish nothing matters.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts

yes, keeping up with physical health is strongly correlated with Self Preservation. I often wonder how Sp last types even survive

Reactions: Arrow
1 - 20 of 24 Posts