Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in college - or I was in college. I'm currently on academic suspension because I started to get bored with the whole thing, and decided that I didn't want to do it any more... Ha... Now I regret that decision...

Needless to say, now i'm having a bit of an early-life crisis. I want to be successful, I want to have goals that I complete and I want to have an impact on the world, or at least some sort of impact on some extension of the world.

But how in the hell am I supposed to stay focused on something? I literally jump from enthusiasm to enthusiasm all of the time: getting excited about something and doing it pretty well for as long as it captivates my interest (that amount of time varies from days to months). It blows.

Do ANY ENTP's have any idea or tips on how I can stay focused on something, or am I just screwed from the get-go due to the fact that I am, an ENTP...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well I'm about the have that crisis over moving out, getting a job, going to college, and finding a major. It is all so much fun.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just wait. It's difficult, especially for an ENTP, cause I've switched majors like 12 times (realistically, 3 times).
& moving out isn't a walk in the park either while the economy is like it is... it seems like for you to get a job to be self sufficient you have to go to college, even if it's just a measley job to get by while going to college.

Unless you're a mine worker or something. But then you don't have time to go to college.

Go figure :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
Don't sweat it. You'll be fine. Being an ENTP (at least half the time anyways), I can relate. I've already changed my major once because I got bored of it. And even in my new program, while I do enjoy it, I'm always thinking of other majors I want to do instead..."as well" only in a perfect world I suppose. Just try not to do too much of one thing at once is all I can really say - balance. I tend to do that, I get really excited about something and then do it just enough so that I gradually fall into boredom quicker than I expected to.

And I REALLY want to move out of my parents' house, but there's no way I could afford it right now. I'm not working [became unemployed about a week ago] so it be impossible without help from my parents - which is the main reason I want to move out. I like to be independant in terms of finances and such, so I feel less of a person receiving help when it's within my power to be able to do it on my own.

And so, I must bide my time until that time comes...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm in college - or I was in college. I'm currently on academic suspension because I started to get bored with the whole thing, and decided that I didn't want to do it any more... Ha... Now I regret that decision...

Needless to say, now i'm having a bit of an early-life crisis. I want to be successful, I want to have goals that I complete and I want to have an impact on the world, or at least some sort of impact on some extension of the world.

But how in the hell am I supposed to stay focused on something? I literally jump from enthusiasm to enthusiasm all of the time: getting excited about something and doing it pretty well for as long as it captivates my interest (that amount of time varies from days to months). It blows.

Do ANY ENTP's have any idea or tips on how I can stay focused on something, or am I just screwed from the get-go due to the fact that I am, an ENTP...
Try to think about the successes that have made you the most happy in the past. Or else try to pinpoint exactly what it is about each new idea you turn to that attracts you and choose something that correlates.

I know it's hard to commit to one thing (seriously it sucks) but try to find something that encompasses a wide range of things, or else maybe you'll find yourself coming back to the same thing (that's what happens to me :))

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't sweat it. You'll be fine. Being an ENTP (at least half the time anyways), I can relate. I've already changed my major once because I got bored of it. And even in my new program, while I do enjoy it, I'm always thinking of other majors I want to do instead..."as well" only in a perfect world I suppose. Just try not to do too much of one thing at once is all I can really say - balance. I tend to do that, I get really excited about something and then do it just enough so that I gradually fall into boredom quicker than I expected to.

And I REALLY want to move out of my parents' house, but there's no way I could afford it right now. I'm not working [became unemployed about a week ago] so it be impossible without help from my parents - which is the main reason I want to move out. I like to be independent in terms of finances and such, so I feel less of a person receiving help when it's within my power to be able to do it on my own.

And so, I must bide my time until that time comes...
Thank you so much and do NOT feel alone I definitely can relate to you about the independence thing. I REALLY want to be a self sufficient individual, I do not really feel comfortable when I'm relieving on people - not because I don't want to, but it just feel against my nature to be dependent.

My parents keep making subtle comments about me moving out and such but they do not understand, as soon as I can move out - I will be out a week earlier than that :p Hahahaha. I just don't want to do things wrong and completely impulsive - gotta think things through and make sure I can deal with independence properly.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try to think about the successes that have made you the most happy in the past. Or else try to pinpoint exactly what it is about each new idea you turn to that attracts you and choose something that correlates.

I know it's hard to commit to one thing (seriously it sucks) but try to find something that encompasses a wide range of things, or else maybe you'll find yourself coming back to the same thing (that's what happens to me :))
I do that. & I have a recurring answer to those questions that always pops up in my head whenever I ask myself those questions. I love MUSIC. BUT the problem is, every time I even try to mention that as my goal or some sort of ambition (not to be a "famous" musician but to work in music as some sort of consultant etc) my family supports but its a shallow support.

Now if I were to tell them I wanted to be a doctor or lawyer... They would do whatever in their power to push me toward that and support the hell out of me.

Anything artistic (which is what I feel I truly am, an artist) I get this almost, "oh puhlleeeeze" from people and a pat pat on the head like "we'll support you because you need to learn your lesson to do something 'real' with your life, and not pursue meaningless frou-frou"

But I haven't learned that yet... lames.

·
Registered
23 Posts
lol howwww about music business? or do a double major? Is it mandatory that your fam approve? If you're not interested in the lawyer/doctor thing it's not going to be worth your time to pursue something like that especially because you'll probably change your mind sooner than later. Something businessy would open a lot of doors (because you can do pretty much anything with a business degree) and keep your options open. But Id definitely look into majoring in Music Business Management or an equivalent.

·
Banned
738 Posts
First off, let me just say dude, I hear ya.

This is what I have learned. Contingency plan your fuck ups and all will be well. In any given system, there is a myriad of possible points to exploit. It's a healthy vent for any narcissitic feelings you may have. That said.

For school, here goes.

www.excelsior.edu

This is an online college, one of the big 3 transfer schools. Am I boring you yet? Good then. You can credit bank here. The beauty is that you can go to 5 different schools at once if you want to and transfer them into this school and graduate from here. It's also online. So you can sail all over the world as long as you turn in most of your assignements on time. You don't have to stay anywhere. If you find out this system, you can up and go and do your thing.

Your other choice would be restaurant manager or something like that? If I were you, I'd become an architect. But that's because I'm me. The world needs architects. If you have rich parents, then take up painting. The world needs painters with rich parent's. Laters.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Well I'm about the have that crisis over moving out, getting a job, going to college, and finding a major. It is all so much fun.
This should actually be fun for you though. Think of it as a game, and a game in the middle of chaos no less. It'll be easily accomplished.

·
Registered
570 Posts
This should actually be fun for you though. Think of it as a game, and a game in the middle of chaos no less. It'll be easily accomplished.
Yeah, totally a game.

Trying to figure out new ways to do everything you used to do is fun :) You might actually enjoy doing your laundry... for one week, until it becomes routine again :p

It also gives you an opportunity to improve upon all the things you used to do. Find out how to cut things out of your life and improve the efficiency that your NTP craves.

·
Registered
75 Posts
lol howwww about music business? or do a double major? Is it mandatory that your fam approve? If you're not interested in the lawyer/doctor thing it's not going to be worth your time to pursue something like that especially because you'll probably change your mind sooner than later. Something businessy would open a lot of doors (because you can do pretty much anything with a business degree) and keep your options open. But Id definitely look into majoring in Music Business Management or an equivalent.
Good idea :) Thank you. I'll definitely do some research into that field and see if I could handle the math-ness and accounting classes :p

First off, let me just say dude, I hear ya.

This is what I have learned. Contingency plan your fuck ups and all will be well. In any given system, there is a myriad of possible points to exploit. It's a healthy vent for any narcissitic feelings you may have. That said.

For school, here goes.

www.excelsior.edu

This is an online college, one of the big 3 transfer schools. Am I boring you yet? Good then. You can credit bank here. The beauty is that you can go to 5 different schools at once if you want to and transfer them into this school and graduate from here. It's also online. So you can sail all over the world as long as you turn in most of your assignements on time. You don't have to stay anywhere. If you find out this system, you can up and go and do your thing.

Your other choice would be restaurant manager or something like that? If I were you, I'd become an architect. But that's because I'm me. The world needs architects. If you have rich parents, then take up painting. The world needs painters with rich parent's. Laters.
Brilliance. This really opens up alot of possibilities... How does it operate as far as federal loans and stuff? Do you attend this college?

Just wondering.
& hell no to architect. I can only build decent houses in the Sims. & I think i'm the 3rd worst math student in the history of the universe.

Yet again, even though this wasn't directed at me - was it? - still awesomeness. That could definitely help me with the whole looking at it so seriously like it's life or death or some crap. Thank you good sir. I will also look at the situation as if it's some game to keep me focused on the edutaining aspects of the event and not on the fact that i'll probably so hungry and fat i'll want to die :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is difficult for me to relate to this seeing as I am a person who has absolutely no problem sticking with something, especially if that something is benificial to me. ( didn't mean to sound pretentious there, if I did I am sorry)

Neverthelss, I think you should try and look at things, not on a grand scale like, a masters degree, but rather on a smaller scale like, one class. Break things down into manageablegoals and attack them thusly.

Not sure if this will help at all but take it from someone who has an ability to accomplish things. ( again not trying to sound like an egotist.)

:happy:

Reactions: Berdudget

·
Registered
2 Posts

I finshed college a couple of years ago. What a years they were. Parties, intresting clever people around you, one year as an exchange student abroad. I was actually heading towars P.Hd. studies, but then suddently I felt that there was no use for such an degree. I didn't want to get stuck in the uni.

Anyway then I got a programmin job that was really not my field of business either. Further, I managed to get a dream job of mine in a micro company. I can really try to create something new. There has been moderate success so far, but the future looks like a good one.

Anyway, I dunno if I comply for the similar crisis but I anyhow feel so restless all the time. Success in the job seems to have already come to me but what then. As I am a single and in such an age I think about family life. However it feels quite a bit distant at the moment. I dunno if some nice lady would like to stick with my extremely outgoining and independent nature.

What are the goals from now on? I can't really answer to this one, neither can the starter of the thread. I ask how do other people cope with this kind of restlessness?

Ps. I'm a newcomer to the site. I have found a lot of relevant info from here. Thx.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I finshed college a couple of years ago. What a years they were. Parties, intresting clever people around you, one year as an exchange student abroad. I was actually heading towars P.Hd. studies, but then suddently I felt that there was no use for such an degree. I didn't want to get stuck in the uni.

Anyway then I got a programmin job that was really not my field of business either. Further, I managed to get a dream job of mine in a micro company. I can really try to create something new. There has been moderate success so far, but the future looks like a good one.

Anyway, I dunno if I comply for the similar crisis but I anyhow feel so restless all the time. Success in the job seems to have already come to me but what then. As I am a single and in such an age I think about family life. However it feels quite a bit distant at the moment. I dunno if some nice lady would like to stick with my extremely outgoining and independent nature.

What are the goals from now on? I can't really answer to this one, neither can the starter of the thread. I ask how do other people cope with this kind of restlessness?

Ps. I'm a newcomer to the site. I have found a lot of relevant info from here. Thx.
Welcome!

& I could definitely deal with being in college for awhile, but the problem that I have with being in college is my grades. It's like the ENTP personality descriptor says, I don't feel the need to show my teachers what I've learned in their class - I rarely study - therefore I get not up-to-par grades.

ARGK! How did you manage to get/keep good grades? Or did you? And if you didn't, how did you manage to get a degree.

& by the way, exchange student sounds AWESOME. I would love doing something like that...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well I keep thinking that if I take a wrong turn the game will end with terrible consquences.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
The game doesn't end just because you lose one match. The game only ends when you die.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome!

& I could definitely deal with being in college for awhile, but the problem that I have with being in college is my grades. It's like the ENTP personality descriptor says, I don't feel the need to show my teachers what I've learned in their class - I rarely study - therefore I get not up-to-par grades.

ARGK! How did you manage to get/keep good grades? Or did you? And if you didn't, how did you manage to get a degree.

& by the way, exchange student sounds AWESOME. I would love doing something like that...

Well, I didn't feel the need to show anything for anybody - exept myself. Doing good grades is relatively easy, at least it was in my university. It just took a lot of work and some dicipline.

I love math so studying something like engineering was natural for me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The lessons for me were:
1) set realistic goals, its easy for an ambitious ENTP to get caught up in some new idea and attempt to take flight without learning how to fly.
2) think things through thoroughly and in more detail before you take a leap.
3) ENTPs have a tendency to take big risks, be aware of this risk taking side of yourself when you make your decisions.
4) If you decide on something and are certain about it, then COMMIT! to it.
5) One step at a time, one thing at a time.
6) Find out what motivates you, do a SWOT analysis on yourself. Efforts to attempt feats which I lacked motivation to complete always left me dejected and disappointed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Welcome!

I'm not a studier either. It bores me, and when I DO study, I have to try really hard to not be distracted. This is the major reason why I didn't do as well in high school as I could have: didn't study. Also didn't do much homework after grade 11. I was always distracted by something not school related...

I wonder if I'd succeed at uni given this attitude...I want to go, but will have the discipline to sustain a solid grade?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts