Personality Cafe banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The lessons for me were:
1) set realistic goals, its easy for an ambitious ENTP to get caught up in some new idea and attempt to take flight without learning how to fly.
2) think things through thoroughly and in more detail before you take a leap.
3) ENTPs have a tendency to take big risks, be aware of this risk taking side of yourself when you make your decisions.
4) If you decide on something and are certain about it, then COMMIT! to it.
5) One step at a time, one thing at a time.
6) Find out what motivates you, do a SWOT analysis on yourself. Efforts to attempt feats which I lacked motivation to complete always left me dejected and disappointed.
But the problem with me is HOW do you commit... LOL

·
Registered
36 Posts
But the problem with me is HOW do you commit... LOL
I'll tell you what my father said to me when I said "I can't go to college, I don't know what I want to do".
He said "just pick something for crying outloud! Just take a class or two that interests you and if you don't like it, pick something else."
I have a son ( an INTP, I think) in college now. Last semester he had a class in art, a class in computers and a class in criminal justice among others. He got bored and flunked all but the art class. At one time he thought he wanted to quit school and go work at FedEX. He will figure it out and so will you. I did suggest to him that he go back to a local and cheaper tech school and take prerequisites there until he gets an idea what he wants to make a committment to. Try out a few things and when you find stuff that holds your interest do like someone else posted and try to figure out what elements of it really draw you, then maybe you will be able to narrow down what does and doesn't really appeal to you. Maybe college itself doesn't appeal to you. There are still a few career choices out there that require little or no college. Some even make really good money. It may be that, what will peak your interest is something you have never been exposed to until now. Do the exploring now before you have kids and responsibilities that make it hard to explore.

Just go take something and if you don't like it, take something else. It's the only way you will ever know that it does or doesn't interest you and there will never be a guarantee that it will keep interesting you forever because you are an ENTP and that is a wonderful thing!! Be proud. :tongue:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hmm my poor grades when I have them are a result of being too lazy to do my school work like essays or what not. Tests are generally easy, I just listen to the lectures (provided I don't fall asleep) then just maybe read a page or two of the textbook before the test. Anything I don't know then I usually get by inference, or an educated guess. What I did was changed my major several times, then went to my advisor "what will get me out of here with a degree the fastest?" lol. My personal conviction though is if you take a normal career, working for a normal company find a nice girl and settle down to live a normal life... you will be bored.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Above person. That is true. I tend to have gotten bad grades because I just don't find the work interesting. I actually had a little game that I forced myself to play. Two semesters I'd fail and then the last two I'd get my grades to As.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am a senior in college and am 22 years old. I know I am an intelligent individual but my GPA has been around a 2.0 since I've started my freshman year. I never failed out, just get C's like no one else's business. Usually my goal is to put enough effort in a class to achieve a C.

I started out majoring in Computer Engineering, then switched to Music Open Studies with a minor in Psychology, then I switched to majoring in Marketing. So far I have found Marketing to be the major that really gets me excited. I actually have no trouble at all doing the work and getting A's and B's in my Marketing classes.

As for homework, it is what gets me the poor grades. I got a D in a class last semester because of attendence and homework scores. I got nothing less than a C on every exam in the class. Homework has always been my biggest problem. My advice to other ENTP's would be to make sure you can get all of your homework done if you want to get decent grades.

I also found that going to class and sitting in the front row right where the teacher would see me everyday and recognize my face helped me to skip class less. I felt like this made things more personal and I felt guilty if I missed class.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Your other choice would be restaurant manager or something like that? If I were you, I'd become an architect. But that's because I'm me. The world needs architects.
This is exaclty what I am going to school for because of all of the options it can incompass and all the fall-back plans that it creates for lack of final complection in grad school... lol

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
This is exaclty what I am going to school for because of all of the options it can incompass and all the fall-back plans that it creates for lack of final complection in grad school... lol
I'm doing web design for the same reason...

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
First, take a breath. yeah, whatever JUST DO IT.

anyway, yeah, a lot of ENTPs have this problem, the thing is it'll take some time before your Ti starts shaking you to tell you a good plan. just be your ENTP self and just adapt to everything, laughing along the way. so don't focus on your problem, focus on the possibilities, and then narrow them down. then take some time to procrastinate, then think about those possiblilities and put them into real-world time of if you would be satisfied with those choices or not later.

I have never changed my major once, because I realized just in time (sr in high school) that I didn't want to do my last major, so it took me a few years to figure it out. Also, don't psyche yourself out to follow other people's timelines. Take your own time to how it's best shaped for you. Right now I'm taking a break from school for financial reasons, and when I do get back to school, I have my main interests, and then have my changing obsessions on the side. The whole key is adaptability and to not be so hard on yourself.

Go ahead and talk to other people, get stories, read, etc, and try to get some different perspectives on different approaches to the decisions you are facing now.

Good luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey buddy,

When I was in University I found it really hard to focus. I took up Engineering becuase I initially liked the Practical Sience part without being that crazy (Nurdy) Physist. Long term I wanted something that I can use. So once you start the short term goal of studing something interusting really becomes short time. As an ENTP you can study anything. In that respect it is the same if you study socioligy, physcology etc. You will get bored easily from any thing. If you went in for short term game then you will keep changing and wont stick to anything. But for me when I had a longterm aim that I wanted a degree theat is useful for me. Not even that I wanted to be an engineer although the prestigue is quite tempting. I wanted to be able to use my skills anywhere which as an engineer I can.

During college I tried to vary my interusts rather my subject. For Instance I was in football team, Hocky team, UOTC (British ROTC), great social life, Friends, Student support, Subwarden etc etc etc. I have to say UOTC kept me focused a lot. But still there were times when My lecturars were surprized who I was when I rocked up in the exams. One even thought I was sitting an exam for one of his students. But all the resits, powering through perserverence, last day going through exam papers etc etc really paid off when I actually got the degree. When ever I write BENG, IEng etc it is really impressive, but the reward is the self believe and confidence that you will get when you finish such a big task and also the few extra brain cells.

Please excuse my Spellings. I would already be hanged if incorrect spellings was a crime.

Keep focused at the long term aim. Id say you will be very lucky if you dont hate your subject at times. But thats the challange. I think you should give up studing and get a mop and clean the streets. Now GO>>>

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Success is achieving your dreams. It's not achieving societies goals, it's not achieving your parents goals, it's achieving your goals. As long as your not mooching off other people then it's your life and you can do whatever you want with it. Some people are content with living as a vagabond, some people aren't content unless they have a million dollar mansion. As long as a person can find their own food and shelter without burdening others then who cares. Figure out what your goals and dreams are and go for them.

As for college degrees start with the basics, figure out your major later. Like @Thnkr917 said take some classes and see what you like. Milk those classes for everything you can get out of them. So many people look at school as a requirement (well high school kinda is, but kinda isn't), but in reality it's your time to get what you want out of it. Who cares what your degree is in as long as you earn one. Just pick something that you enjoy and roll with it. If someone says something about the degree you pick tell them they can get their own degree if they're so concerned about it.

Keep in mind that when you get done with college that a lot of people don't even use their degrees. When they hand you that piece of paper saying that you have a degree it tells the world 2 things - 1) what you studied (not necessarily what you know) and more importantly 2) that you're capable of learning and applying yourself to a goal. Unless you're determined to get a specific job in science, technology, or medicine then it really doesn't matter what your degree is in. When it comes to getting a job it's not always about what you know, but a lot of times it's about who you know. Just because a job pays a lot doesn't mean a thing. Money can buy you happiness, but it doesn't guarantee it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I dont agree with @affezwilling apart from Para 3, lines 1 to 4.5. A College/University is a means to go to the next level in life and to grow to the next level of personal intellectulism. It is passport to the world if travel is your thing. It is a means of living your life the way you want to, weather it be changing peoples lives round the world or being your own boss or being valued for the contribution that you make, whatever your thing is. It is a silent confidence. You can have your own business, but if you have a degree you will know you have something to fall back on if your business goes tits up.

My parents used to say it is a shortcut to life. Now I think it is a life line itself.

Yes I agree with the part college educaiton is a means to prove you have capability to think, write reports and adapt mentally. But again you cannot be an a professional without going to college. No one will let you handle the national Electric grid if you have been flipping burgurs all your life. And it is just as blunt as that.

I agree with @affezwilling happyness dosent comes from money, it comes from personal completeness and college education brings you closer to that. I had a great time at University but studing was not always the most enjoyable exprience, I wanted to quit many times but I kept at it. Many of my friends were in the same boat. Its something you have to go through inorder to be able to choose what you want to do with your life. If not you can flip burgurs in McDonalds, or shelve at Wallmart for most of your adult life. Unless you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and million dollars in your pants.

http://personalitycafe.com/members/affezwilling.html
http://personalitycafe.com/members/affezwilling.html

·
Banned
541 Posts
Take Adderall/Vyvanse, and a lot of it.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I just completed my degree in engineering and am finding it to be completely irrelevant to where I see myself in the future. So following through with a degree is not all it's cracked up to be. Success in school =/= success in life.

If you want to be successful in life, find a few things that you're good at and that interests you and charge money for it. Set your goals high so you don't get bored. It is also important to have numerous large goals so that when you get a bit bored with one of them at a point you can work on another one until the initial one has regained your interest. For me this means having a few businesses I run at the same time.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I find I needed to get my degree because I spent most of my life being told I was stupid, or slow, or not good enough, so I got it as a morale booster. I don't see me using it ever, although I did enjoy my studies since they were a challenge but I didn't do it for me as a path to success or anything like that. It was mostly out of spite and a little bit because I needed a challenge to stick with it. If you know where you want to go in life follow that path. I had no idea where I wanted to go and I was tired of being called stupid.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I more or less agree with @JBANg. Having the right degree is good, but in my experience it's only really important if you're going for your graduate or doctorate. The important part is not necessarily what your degree is in, but the fact that you have a degree. The higher the degree the better, but even having an associates is better than nothing. IMO a bachelors is nothing more than an associates plus two years of crap that you will probably never use.

Honestly I see most people looking at college as a means to an end. Most people study in order to gain a better job / more money. Having been through college I now see it as an ends in and of itself. I say studying as a means of learning is a much better attitude. It's not about what is taught in your degree, but about what you learn from having access to the knowledge that the college teaches. After all money comes and money goes, but having a knowledge of things is a real commodity.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts