Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure it's obvious there are some ISTPs out there that are probably some CEOs of the large companies, but it looks like it's much more difficult for ISTPs than ENTJs, ESTJs, ESFJs, or ENFJs to name a few. Simply put, EJs are naturally drawn to lead and manage companies. So how difficult is it for ISTP to do the same? Is it a bit of a stretch?

Personally, I'd like to do something like that, but haven't live up to that standard just yet. But it's good to know a little forecast of what's to come.

Any ISTP leaders out there?

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
In a year I'll be a naval officer, and in 5 years I might be in charge of a division of 100+ people. Public speaking made me a little anxious at first, but now that I'm used to it its not so bad.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I was in charge of a small project for one of my uni courses, and according to the tutor was the only group leader (out of several groups) to not get complained about.

Leading doesn't come naturally to us, but if we show competence, and take credit for that competence*, we'll do fine.

* before an ExxJ takes it for you! They will, trust me.

Reactions: Ikari T

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
my dad (istp, even tho he never spent time with me, everyone says i am an exact copy altho i learned -nothing- from him) was vice president in a telecom company before he retired. Before that he had a few jobs as a lead engineer/inventor in various companies.

As for leadership... I am a born leader, like my dad. Ever since i started playing online i ended up leading the groups and we got quite a few notches on our victory belt, even traveled around the world a few times. Shame those "achievements" are completely worthless tho. Besides gaming, took up the charge in college when the project called for it and we did great.

All it takes is the nerve and competence. Even if you dont know what to do, if you stand strong and give off an aura of absolute confidence, it will work. But... as our Military advisor said in school. "You are born a leader, you dont learn to be one"

Reactions: Ikari T

·
Registered
547 Posts
I never wanted to lead anything because it requires so much TALKING. I'd enjoy the freedom of being my own boss but I'd get pissed if people couldn't manage themselves to some extent.

On the other hand, I bet we'd be the best boss ever from an employee standpoint. heh

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
There is a difference in leading and supervising others. Leaders generally do little supervising instead they delegate, unless as most of the examples given they're lead of a project or a small group. I do not want to be responsible for others, in particular the day-to-day aspects that go with having to motivate others or worse having to deal with non-job related issues such as absenteeism due to problems at home, personal differences within your team.... These are not probable, they're inevitable. It has been said that I am either a leader or a loner. I agree with that notion. Like INTJs, I don't think the ISTP type wants to lead unless they find it necessary to take the helm. I have done this when necessary and after the crisis is over, go back to doing my own thing. Can we lead, absolutely. Do we aspire to be leaders, ummm it's not in the make-up of our type.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool. I can relate to all these posts in a certain way. Thanks everyone for a word of inspiration! :laughing:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts