Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know that life sucks sometimes when you are an INTP (and we do moan a lot ;)). But in what ways did your INTPishness help you succeed in something? How can you use your strengths to be fulfilled in life despite the fact that the world seems to value extroverted types and conforming to social rules so much?

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
I've recently become socially competent and such, but I remain an INTP.

My success story is that I managed to become a "rockstar" amongst a lot of people, I managed to become charming, I managed to do all the things that always plagued my mind before as impossibilities.

This "rockstar" remains lost in thought, always searching for more data to put up for analysis. I suppose I'm not your typical Ozzy Osbourne... :wink:

·
Registered
749 Posts
The mirroring ability is something I use quite a lot in social settings. People see me as a warm and open person who also has a spine and will tell you when something is wrong in a tactful way or is willing to stick up for you or support you when an injustice has occurred. I've also been able to realize through agonizingly awkward situations what makes certain kinds of people laugh so I can very much offer a lot in the ways of relationships. I feel like I'd be a good infiltrator for ATF or something.

My vivid imagination has helped me out a lot as well. It enables me to simulate job interviews and other interactions to come up with many different plans of action to best go about achieving what I want.

My ability to convalesce on my own when I get hurt has also given people the sense that I'm invincible. I got laid off recently and outwardly I just laughed it off and went out and got a new job the next week. Internally it hurt and felt a little personal but I was completely over the whole thing after a 4 hour walk. The only comfort I need is me so people start to feel like I'm just above the whole world and it's my play thing. I'm the guy who does something stupid just for the experience of it and then shows up last minute to ace a test and show how smart I am.

In reality I'm just as vulnerable as the next guy; but, because of being an INTP I've been able to manufacture something for everyone that they love while being an ambassador for my principles, and I love that I can entertain people while making them think. Do I really know who I am? Not really, but I do have my principles, that's for damn sure. This existence is absurd enough without that question so I'ma just roll with it and smile when I make others happy and achieve the things I want in life.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The mirroring ability is something I use quite a lot in social settings.
^ This definitely :).

I also use my analytical skills to consciously learn the behaviour patterns expected from me in given situations (and I do learn from my own mistakes). It helped me a lot to gradually build a healthy relationship, even though I always thought I'd be a complete disaster of a girlfriend.

Career-wise, the specific INTP traits allowed me to be a really good student without exactly exerting myself ;). I think I'm also a good translator due to my personality type, since I can grasp the general message and feel of the texts in a flash, I'm creative and I pay a lot of attention to small details in language.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Changing jobs is a nightmare for me, and unfortunately I'm going to have to face this next year. The reason for this is I'm picky about who becomes my friend and can't bullshit small talk, so I come across as aloof and reserved. This makes my managers pick holes in my faults.

After about a year, though, I usually become the guru of the office and everyone loves the fact I have an answer for most things...or know someone who does.

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
After about a year, though, I usually become the guru of the office and everyone loves the fact I have an answer for most things...or know someone who does.
Guru is a word I can relate with. I've been called a guru several times, though generally unrelated to work.

Everyone also loves the fact that I have an answer for most things. :tongue:

·
Registered
432 Posts
I had a lot of success in high school debate.
INTP wit and analytical skills + developed social skills = domination.

In fact, the few other INTP's that I know IRL I met at various debate tournaments.

Still waiting for my next success story. Dammit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There's this thing called the national geographic bee, its sort of like a spelling bee except you are asked questions pertaining to things like geography and history. I got up to the state level in 7th grade, all the absorption of random facts that normally gets me nowhere really came in handy.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hurrah for random facts. We all know they'll come in useful one day, despite those that mock.

(why do our random facts never come up in pub quizzes when it counts, hmmm??)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts