Personality Cafe banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested....

What is keeping you from being successful? Can you isolate it? Is something standing in your way?, or is it just your own self-limiting behavior that is keeping you from becoming successful?

Think twice before you speak, because your words and influence will plant the seed of either success or failure in the mind of another.
Napoleon Hill

·
Registered
343 Posts
I spend half my time imagining awesome things I will do, and then I'm like "Nah." For example, I promised myself I would study for the SAT in October over the summer aaaaaand I've done nothing but play video games and work. I have lost weight from exercising though. But that's only because my dad signed me up for a workout class without my consent.

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
For the most part, severe depression and anxiety.

I don't think I know what else is wrong, aside from fear of course and people intimidating me way too easily and too much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am a young idealist, and it's hard to be successful in a predominantly left-brained, corporate world. That said, I have had my fair of success in the working world, and find that I thrive best when I work with the values I treasure.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think for the most part it is the thought that when I do put in all the effort and time required to gain success, it won't feel worth it and like I'll be happy I spent my time in such a way. Trying to find the type of success that works best for me, and perhaps overthinking it, seems to be the main problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The way I start things and never finish them unless someone angry is nagging me (thanks, dad!).
My own fear of not being perfect. I'm lazy, but also a perfectionist. My fear of failing is holding me back too. I can't fail if I don't try. I'm also pretty shy. I need to be more assertive. I get sucked into my own feelings and just become a doormat.

·
Registered
354 Posts
My body and the constant threat of pushing myself too hard.
As I have a nerve disease as well as twisted hips and a curved spine... my dream of being a musical theater actor is a little hard.
I won't give up, but I struggle with dance.
And It's not even like I can just push myself harder, as I might do permanent damage to my body.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I could go in two different directions right now, but I'm scared to follow either path in case it's the wrong one. So I'm kind of just sitting here, waiting for the right answer to come to me. It's not working. I need to make a decision, but I'm finding it nearly impossible to commit myself.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Procrastination and being a perfectionist

Reactions: Lady Lullaby

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fear that the thing I want to succeed in is the wrong decision and that if I spend time on it, I'm wasting time, which will ultimately lead to wasting my life, and when I die, I will regret the time I wasted working on my so-called passion because I didn't end up succeeding at it and I could have spent that time with my family or doing something that I WOULD succeed in. Stupid, I know, but this holds me from doing anything toward my dreams, which are probably fairly well attainable. (Caveat, I probably feel this way because I spent a lot of time and money getting my dream job only to realize I didn't like anything about it, and I would have known that if I had thought it through instead of chasing a "dream.")

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
I'll tell you who's standing in my way, brother! Guys who think they can bowl around and run the place, guys like King Kong Bundy, Andre the Giant, "The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase, that turncoat Sgt. Slaughter, that maniac Sid Justice, that smarmy Jimmy Hart, and that weasel Bobby "The Brain" Heenan! But never fear, Hulkamaniacs, the power of Hulkamania shall rise above all these obstacles and threats, and together WE SHALL RULE! WHATCHA GONNA DO, BROTHERRRRR???

·
Registered
95 Posts
My morals.

·
Registered
126 Posts
change of course

Myself. It's myself that's standing on my way.

And I guess the same is for a lot of you too. So lets do something else. Write down what is it that you want to achieve, no matter how crazy or impossible it sounds. Write it for the rest of us to see.

I'll go first.

My short-term aspiration is to have the strength and perseverance to get through a matter that involves me, some of my family, and bureaucracy.

My mid-term aspirations:

a) get the knowledge to reposition myself professionally
b) gain more understanding about myself, develop further and become complete, reveal the truth about it all
c) realize what is my purpose, my mission

And my long-term aspiration is to make the world realize that we are missing this great wonder that life is - after I experience that in full myself, which is my (b).

Big things have small begginnings. Start today by doing something you can and avoid. It can be something very very small. Like the dishes. Or fixing that broken chair. And when you finish with that, do one more thing. And one more thing. And keep going. It's easy to keep going once you're "on fire".

I just did something I prepared myself for so long. I went against my fear and made this little leap of faith in myself. And it felt really good.

Cossack said:
I am a young idealist, and it's hard to be successful in a predominantly left-brained, corporate world.
If it's hard to be successful in this world, then change the world! They are left-brained people - get in there and teach them one thing or two about your view. You've got secret weapons in your right brain, man! Convert, what you see as weakness, into a strength. Talk to their hearts.

But don't tell me that somehow you can't do it or it's too difficult, 'cause I aint buying it! There is always a way. Find it. And if you can't find it, create it.

Here is a little something for all of us:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[/QUOTE]
If it's hard to be successful in this world, then change the world! They are left-brained people - get in there and teach them one thing or two about your view. You've got secret weapons in your right brain, man! Convert, what you see as weakness, into a strength. Talk to their hearts.

But don't tell me that somehow you can't do it or it's too difficult, 'cause I aint buying it! There is always a way. Find it. And if you can't find it, create it.

Here is a little something for all of us:

[/QUOTE]

Amy Cuddy is fantastic!! I get choked up when I watch her Ted Talks presentation. I utilized that technique in my last interview, and it felt extremely liberating and changed the way in which I approached an otherwise constraining, stifling experience.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts