Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This always happens to me and I don't know why. I'm a freshman in college, and at the beginning of the year, I'm super interested in my studies and I participate in class. Then halfway through the year, I lose interest super quickly. I stop listening and don't study. Usually the good grades I get at the beginning of the year carry me through, but I'd like to keep my attention the whole year. I can also usually bs my way through but barely. It happens with all of my classes and every year. I get stuck in my head and excited about other things instead of school.

It's weird. Something just switches in my head halfway through and I don't care anymore. Has anyone experienced something similar? My theory is that halfway through the year, I see I already have really good grades so I don't feel stressed so I get really lazy.

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,660 Posts
I kind of struggle with the same thing, but not necessarily to that extent.

As MsBrightside suggested, I think some goal setting can be a cure. You have to realize that there is more to learn, and there are deeper things to learn. If you know what you'd like to do when you graduate, think about how your classes are preparing you for that.

Another trick(that I personally can't do, but it seems like a good idea) is to take care of your least favorite assignments soon after class, just as soon as you can. Then you can do whatever you want for the rest of the day. Work hard so you can rest harder.

And how do you know that this "always happens" to you? It's just your freshman year! Don't accept a potential pattern of slackery from yourself. Do better next semester! You might not be motivated this semester because it is the farthest semester from your end plan. There's still plenty of hope and a bright future for you, and you can be a motivated achiever.

Maybe you can find some friends in the meantime who love class, and maybe they'll rub off on you!:laughing:

·
Registered
980 Posts
It happened to me in every degree that I have taken. In the final year I just cannot be asked to go to class, I hand in essays late, miss tutorials, I get bored with core reading and everything is such hard work.

I think like you I sort of know that I have done enough and I am not challenged by the work in front of me. I used to think it was studying too hard and not creating a study/life balance but I can get lazy if I get bored

·
Registered
22 Posts
Same as me, I always like that in any kind of studies. I used to set goals but I lost motivation to follow them afterwards.
I tried to study new things, but then bored again. So I ended up with many unfinished personal project.
I was a diligent and a highly ambitious person several years ago, and I became like this lately.
I have no idea for the solution, but I think I'll keep trying new ways because I'm very easy bored.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts