Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imagine this scenario two ways: I'm a long time good friend of yours vs. I'm a short time acquaintance of yours in the workplace.

What would happen?

What would be your emotion immediately afterwards?

What would be your reaction (verbal, outwardly emotional, physical etc.) ?

How would you feel about things afterwards when you're alone?

--These may seem like meaningless, trivial questions, but my guess is, a few answers will lead to something of a profound understanding about INFPs (for me at least). Kindly help me out if you would?--

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I've been lurking for some time, and took the time to register just because I'm intrigued by your unusual questions of INFP's. Are you asking questions of other types, or just this one? Is there a particular person you are trying to decide if you want to get closer to and you are trying to figure her (or him) out in a hypothetical way before investing in the actual relationship? Is there someone you already know who you are trying to understand better and don't want to ask these questions of that person? Did you have something go wrong with someone who happened to be an INFP and you are trying to understand? Are you trying to type someone you know for some reason?

Anyway, if you were someone I knew from work and you did this AT work, my psychological interest would be replaced by the practical "Do I need to report this to HR?" I mean, how sharp is the object ? Did you throw a pencil or a butcher knife? Did you hurl it at my head or say "Here, catch" and toss it gently?

If you were a recent workplace acquaintance and you did this outside of work, this would probably be shorthand for me to add you into the "potentially dramatic, not worth getting to know" category. There are a lot of things that can land people in this category, unfortunately. This better than many.

If you were a good friend, my inward and outward initial reaction would probably both be "What the HECK?? are you thinking?!" That would overwhelm all other possibilities in the moment. I'm assuming this is uncharacteristic of you (or else why would you be my good friend?) so I would need some input from you to determine why you did it. Airhead moment? Not thinking? Bad judge of my horrible reflexes? Without input from you, I'd have to go home and mull over everything I could think of that might be going on to cause you to do something so thoughtless. I mean, this is far enough out of the realm of accepted behavior that the infinite possibilities of reasons why are difficult to even narrow down to a few working possibilities. But because this clearly is no reflection on me, my emotional response would be mostly concern for your well-being if it seemed anything other than a moment of temporary stupidity.

If I had any reason to think your intent was to test me with something where failing the test could cause me harm, you'd be out of my circle. Intent to cause harm does not warrant a second chance (and is about the only thing that is a one-mistake-and-you-are-out situation). If you were just so distracted that you were not thinking and I could understand your distraction, I might just chalk it up to "Eh, people do stupid things." But really, more data needed and if you weren't forthcoming I might try some lines of questioning over time to get you to open up your thinking to me, especially if I was already invested in the friendship.

·
Registered
902 Posts
What would happen?
I would jump and step away from the object. The object will drop on the floor.

acquaintance: confused as why they threw it and why they thought it was a smart idea to throw it to me, not give it straight or to anyone else. Why me? and why did it have to be thrown?
friend: confused as why they threw it, probably will find it silly and laugh

acquaintance: Stop and stare blankly. Laugh. "Sorry about that." Pick up the object and ask for the purpose of throwing it to me.
friend: I would apologize for not catching it, but will state, "You know, what do you expect? I like my hands uncut." Ask for the purpose of throwing it to me.

acquaintance: extremely confused if they did not answer my question, if it seemed ill-intended, probably offended. If it was a careless event (as they just wanted to get it organized, but didn't think twice that it was sharp) then I don't think much of it.
friend: Meh, probably wasn't thinking.

--
I am curious about the intent of these questions as well.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Suddenly I threw something sharp at you expecting you to catch it...

What would happen?

Either way - I'm startled but try to catch it. Generally, I think throwing things to people is fun and funny. I usually enjoy the challenge of someone throwing something to me.

If I catch it, pleased with myself.
If it just flies by, amused or irritated, depending on the person and the situation.
If it stabs me, vocally peeved, unless it's my fault from a poor attempt at catching.

What would be your reaction (verbal, outwardly emotional, physical etc.)?

Verbal - probably some comment on the throw or why they're throwing it.
Outward emotional - animated, having been aroused from the interaction.
Physical - also animated, same reason.

That would depend entirely on the relationship between myself and the other. If a good friend - probably that it was funny. If a work acquaintance - either funny or annoying, depending on how I feel about them and their interactions generally.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What would happen?
I would try to dodge it but I'm so bad with reflexes it has a 50/50 chance of hurting me.

Confused and outraged. No matter who you are to me, I wouldn't be able to understand how dare you do such a stupid violent thing to an innocent person.

I would yell with my face all red and eyes sticking out "WHY THE FUCK DID YOU DO THAT FOR???" Maybe cry outta scare and rage.

Short-term acquaintance: review the event in my head, talk it through with some other people, probably conclude that you're batshit crazy
Long-time friend: go through all I know about you in my head that could make sense regarding this action, try to fix you, think about it for months until I finally understand your motives or forget about it (even if I probably wouldn't ever stop being bothered by the non-sense nor being worried about you).
Those aren't feelings I'm sorry lol

·
Administrator
14,150 Posts
Your question is kind of vague since idk what the sharp thing is, so I think it would be a good multiple choice:

1) Catch the sharp thing and throw it back at you.
2) Pick up a bigger sharper thing and throw that at you.
3) Pepper spray.
4) All of the above.

I think the most appropriate response would be 3)Pepper Spray since it's a good non-lethal defense and requires less exact aim.

But really--I would wonder why someone would choose to do something that was potentially hazardous to my health and might also cause me pain.

I might think that they didn't understand what they were doing, and wonder how they grew up to not get that principle, and also worry about whether they are a danger to themselves (such as, do they also run with scissors on the edge of a pool?) or just how they missed that vital piece of information that they could hurt me.

I might think they did it on purpose, in which case I will assume that they are possibly sadistic psychopaths who are trying to scare me and injure me (or both) and wonder what they will do next.

Your question is super vague--but it really boils down to that. Why did they think it was a good idea to (possibly) hurt me, when they did not need to? Most likely leading to 'what is wrong with them?'

If neither seemed to fit to my satisfaction, and the person meant a lot to me, I might attempt to demand to find out why they did that until I had a more satisfactory answer.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Would dodge it both times and ask why.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I've been lurking for some time, and took the time to register just because I'm intrigued by your unusual questions of INFP's.
My aim is to understand INFPs in their totality. Isn't that the purpose of these typology forums? But you and others questioning my intentions is valuable information too. Or how you react and word your responses. Oh, now you feel cold and hostile towards me? Like I'm a lab technician seeing you as lifeless meat? So now you understand the reason for "unusual" questions.

Questions are unusual because if I asked "what's your relationship with Extroverted Sensing" in a theoretical manner, none of you would give the answers I seek. Either you are going to have the wrong Se theory in your head or you will go on a different tangent which will have nothing to do with what I'm looking for. I have to personalize the questions to get what I want efficiently.

So now that I made clear my intentions, I wonder how many of you will engage in discussion with me. "Why don't you just ask us," indeed. Not many I imagine.

But I got what I need from these few answers and that's sufficient, so no matter. Se in INFPs is a very negative vulnerability. It will make them feel like a fool and stir up deep anger in them. My conclusion was this from the start and I see it was the right conclusion. See how my process works? I'm destroying every doubt I have in my theoretical framework with the help of you helpful INFPs all the while providing you with interesting questions to ponder on, which is a good Ne exercise. Good for me, good for you, wouldn't you say?

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
No need to differenciate between short-term, long-term person, I would react the same way in both scenarios.

Premise ---> "Something sharp" = Scissors or a Knife

What would happen?
My brain would process your body language in a nanosecond, it would understand that you're about to throw that thing my way, inside I panic, outwardly I dodge the thing.

The aftermath of panic, which is anger in this case. Why anger? Because you did this on purpose with something extremely dangerous that could've killed me.
I will think you're either stupid (stupid = ignorant of the fact that the object can kill) or malevolent (you know this can kill and still did it). In both cases I will be furious cause I can't stand stupid or malevolent people.

1. Scream "Are you fucking crazy?????"
2. Look at you with a mix of hate and disbelief. My anger contains confusion.
3. I will be paralyzed physically because I will go inward to my brain, as it is scanning the chain of events that just happened, trying to identify any missed cue from your body language that can clarify to me whether you did this on purpose or whether you're just stupid.
4. Maybe I'll ask you "Why the fuck did you do that?????" cause my brain is consumed by wanting to know your intentions (malevolent vs stupid). But maybe I won't ask anything, I'll just decide that you lack a brain and leave it at that.
5. Physically walk away, if there's the possibility. If I must stay, I'll just ignore you. My anger will last about three minutes, then it's processed and gone, back to normal. I'll speak to you as normal, however, my idea of you has probably gone down, as now I think you lack a brain, and I look down on stupid reckless irresponsible people. So the emotions are gone, but now I have information about you, and so my idea of you contains new information (and not in your favor. I probably think you're below me in intelligence or morality or maturity). Probably, not 100% sure, depends on what you do or say next, but that wasn't stated in the post so I can't know your side of the story.

All of this 5-step process will take about two minutes, it's super quick.

I won't think about it when I'm alone. It's not a big enough scenario that would make me spend my time wondering about that. I already decided earlier on, in your presence, that you are either stupid or malevolent. There's nothing else to think about, and without thought there is no feeling.
If you're wondering if I would hold a grudge, the answer is no. It's not a big enough event. But even then, I just don't hold grudges, it's a waste of energy.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
My aim is to understand INFPs in their totality. Isn't that the purpose of these typology forums? But you and others questioning my intentions is valuable information too. Or how you react and word your responses. Oh, now you feel cold and hostile towards me? Like I'm a lab technician seeing you as lifeless meat? So now you understand the reason for "unusual" questions.

Questions are unusual because if I asked "what's your relationship with Extroverted Sensing" in a theoretical manner, none of you would give the answers I seek. Either you are going to have the wrong Se theory in your head or you will go on a different tangent which will have nothing to do with what I'm looking for. I have to personalize the questions to get what I want efficiently.

So now that I made clear my intentions, I wonder how many of you will engage in discussion with me. "Why don't you just ask us," indeed. Not many I imagine.

But I got what I need from these few answers and that's sufficient, so no matter. Se in INFPs is a very negative vulnerability. It will make them feel like a fool and stir up deep anger in them. My conclusion was this from the start and I see it was the right conclusion. See how my process works? I'm destroying every doubt I have in my theoretical framework with the help of you helpful INFPs all the while providing you with interesting questions to ponder on, which is a good Ne exercise. Good for me, good for you, wouldn't you say?
Why do you ask INFPs about Se? They don't have Se.

I personally didn't understand at all how your process works and how can you be even more confident in your conclusions now. What I see instead are a some glaring mistakes in the setup of the experiment. The context of the question is undefined which leads to every person supplying their own context and answering accordingly. To me this signals that you can't summarise the answers and I do indeed find the responses to vary a lot not only in terms of reaction, but in terms of the context too.

I have to conclude that your experiment failed. Not only it didn't provide any useful data, but it didn't make you question your preexisting bias in any way. You appear to be even more biased now, so I'd suggest that the experiment has a net negative effect for you. The INFPs did get to exercise their Ne though, so we agree that it was good for them.

It was good for me too, because the way you explained your motivation suddenly animated the INTJ stereotype of arrogance and social clumsiness for me. Now the only thing I'm curious about is weather the lack of Fe in the INFPs will prevent them from being offended by your explanation.

I hope my reply will be beneficial for your understanding of Fe, because Fe is the reason I bothered to comment at all and my language of choice was also coloured by it.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Now the only thing I'm curious about is weather the lack of Fe in the INFPs will prevent them from being offended by your explanation.
When I was younger I might have been offended, but I have come to realize that how people behave is mostly about them and very little about me (or us, in this case). So no offense taken. I remain curious about OP's thought processes, based on some of the same things you pointed out. I am curious if he understands that his set-up was so vague as to not generate the responses he thought he was getting (my point was that sharp object could be anything from a pencil, which is kinda stupid to throw but no big deal; to a knife, which would indicate either aggression or mental illness).

I too don't understand why OP thinks this is an exercise in seeing how iNFP's use SE. I mean, every INFP who answered was more concerned about what this said about the mental state of the thrower than about the physical aspect of it. Other than "duck" or "try to catch" which are pure animal instinct, SE has very little to do with this thought experiment. How do INFP's use extraverted sensing? Very poorly; it is well known that we spend most of our time inside our own heads and most of our sensory perception goes right into our internal state.

I don't type people in real life and so I can't say I have much experience with INTJ's that I know for certain are that. However I work in a field with a lot of engineers so my guess is I know quite a few. And truthfully many of them are sort of charmingly aware of their own lack of people skills. I don't think most of them would pretend to understand a whole group of people based on a few thought experiments (or pretend to understand groups of people, period) which is why I think that the OP has a specific person in mind when he posts this, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Imagine this scenario two ways: I'm a long time good friend of yours vs. I'm a short time acquaintance of yours in the workplace.

What would happen?

--These may seem like meaningless, trivial questions, but my guess is, a few answers will lead to something of a profound understanding about INFPs (for me at least). Kindly help me out if you would?--
You seem to be very interested with infps. Im flattered at the same time intrigued.. Why? I wish i know you in person

Initially i was about to respond that it depends on the object thrown at me but my initial reaction would probably be surprised and frozen? I don't know and i cant answer as accurate as i can cos this never happened to me, afaicr.

What would happen?

I dont know really but probably --

Close friend : "what the heck" i would be my initial reaction. I'll be more confrontational since we know each other well and we don't get hurt that much when we're Close friends (we should have some level of understanding already)

Acquaintance : ill be civil but will still ask.

On both circumstances, if it's a knife, my initial emotion would probably be "do you want me dead? What's your problem?"

Reaction : i don't know probably mad at first if it's something deadly.

I always reflect on my actions afterwards. It comes innately. It's not something i do consciously.

If i acted negatively like shout or yell, i may feel bad afterwards. If i believe that it's my fault, i will sincerely apologize. If it's both our faults, ill still apologize but will try to justify my actions and explain my side. If it's not my fault at all, i will talk to that person and defend my position. If that person is someone i love, ill make a way afterwards to "make up" for my actions and I'll help that person with his/her problems.

To be continued... I'm so sleepy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,465 Posts
Provided I survive this, I'd be furious, maybe crying or having a panic attack (depending on my mood) cause I'm scared too much for my physical well-being. I'd probably think you are completely crazy or immature and I'd probably avoid you until maybe you seriously apologise to me and vow to never pull such a stunt again, then I might keep you as acquaintance until I see adequate redeeming qualities that will make me feel safer (it's not a matter of logic here, but truly, feeling safer). If you were a close friend of mine and you did this I'd be shocked cause I wouldn't expect you to be do such a thing, it would probably lead to some withdrawal from me, but I'd come around, likely. Again, with apology and the promise and I gotta see real remorse there (I can tell).
It's not about holding a grudge really, it's more like a necessity that I withdraw, like an automatic thing, like a veil is lifted and I know I must put distance.

What @entheos said too, covers the thinking process nicely

There's also a chance I visualize this scenario differently than you, if you were to throw the thing at me like you would a dart or a knife or something (like when they try to kill people in movies xD) then the above would be my reaction. If we're just standing somewhere close and you like throw it up in the air softly and expect me to catch it then I'd probably not feel so horrible about it, just maybe think your brain screws went loose. I'd chastise you for sure cause that behavior is still dangerous and you might get someone hurt one day (did you not learn this in school young man? etc)

Anything that puts me in physical danger and I feel it, I avoid. Tis the curse of Se-PoLR xD

·
Registered
779 Posts

I'm a bit concerned what you are planing to do with this information?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I don't type people in real life and so I can't say I have much experience with INTJ's that I know for certain are that. However I work in a field with a lot of engineers so my guess is I know quite a few. And truthfully many of them are sort of charmingly aware of their own lack of people skills. I don't think most of them would pretend to understand a whole group of people based on a few thought experiments (or pretend to understand groups of people, period) which is why I think that the OP has a specific person in mind when he posts this, but I could be wrong.
Hmm, your hypothesis that it's about a specific person fits very well with the hypothesis that the whole experiment is purposefully set up with the goal of confirming existing bias.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Why do you ask INFPs about Se? They don't have Se.

I personally didn't understand at all how your process works and how can you be even more confident in your conclusions now.

I have to conclude that your experiment failed. Not only it didn't provide any useful data, but it didn't make you question your preexisting bias in any way. You appear to be even more biased now, so I'd suggest that the experiment has a net negative effect for you. The INFPs did get to exercise their Ne though, so we agree that it was good for them.

It was good for me too, because the way you explained your motivation suddenly animated the INTJ stereotype of arrogance and social clumsiness for me. Now the only thing I'm curious about is weather the lack of Fe in the INFPs will prevent them from being offended by your explanation.

I hope my reply will be beneficial for your understanding of Fe, because Fe is the reason I bothered to comment at all and my language of choice was also coloured by it.
I'm now going to be more arrogant now because you have pissed me off by not only having no idea what you're talking about, but you are also trying to "put me down" purely out of a notion of a childish compassion which has no place here.

- Every type has every cognitive function, but I'm not gonna enlighten you here, do your own research.

- Yes, you don't understand how my process works. Makes no difference.

- Context or different answers don't matter, only the underlying, indivisible mechanics matter, but I don't expect or want anyone to understand that. Also I don't need to explain it. Take it up with the mods if you're offended. You don't seem to get the purpose of individual threads in forums.

- This wasn't an experiment. My goal is to intuitively understand personality types and I can reach detailed conclusions from little to no data which again, I don't expect you, an ISTP to get. My understanding is built upon years of deliberation and research. I only needed a few different comments to confirm my ideas. If you are not capable of understanding that, and if it hurts your Fe sensibilities to witness a discussion about people's weaknesses, why you would read through threads like this in the first place is beyond me. Your goal oriented logic needs more attention.

- "INTJ stereotype of arrogance and social clumsiness." I chuckled at that. You apparently haven't met many INTJs. I can be such an angel if I need to, you would think me an ESFJ. People are not static in their cognition or emotional states. Do some more research into human behavior. I've been a victim in my life of people like you who perceive honesty and foresight as arrogance and attempts to solve problems through logic as social clumsiness. I'm glad I've found Jung, otherwise I wouldn't understand the irrational attacks I've endured over the years were coming from people like you, exercising their own childish emotions on other people about whom they have no idea about. And also, people like you, who have no idea about the damage you do and what kind of suffering you're laying the foundations of down the line. But it is understandable of course, you lack the ability to foresee any kind of possibility whatsoever.

-I most probably know more about Fe than you. And how it manifests when it is weak. Your language of choice makes no difference. It was already obvious to me from the first sentence that your precious connection to Fe was hurt and you had the instinct to attack me to balance the scales but in the end you've decided to try and make it a polite-as-can-be post in order not to seem like an hypocrite. But of course, theory and practice are different things. Not all of us have good emotional control to hide our true dispositions to situations. Not you in the least bit. And before you ask, no, Fi is not the "emotions" you have.

-The INFPs in this subforum have the capacity to decide for themselves what thread to respond to and not. I'm being honest with them about my intentions about starting my threads. All this is normal. Don't dive into a savior attitude, hiding behind a childish mask of compassion, trying to hypocritically "scold" me for inconsiderate behavior. I care about people and healing them way above the level of your small imagination. I care about healing the healers first, and that means understanding what's going on with them first. Work on your dominant logic before you try and differentiate your inferior feeling.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
- This wasn't an experiment. My goal is to intuitively understand personality types and I can reach detailed conclusions from little to no data which again, I don't expect you, an ISTP to get.
Hi Insentient. I don't think INTJ's in general are arrogant (some people of any type are). So that isn't where my response is coming from. But I have to say, that this is not how intuitive thinking works. Intuitive thinking relies on processing large amounts of already-gathered data rapidly and jumping to conclusions where we can't always follow the logical process. However, the logical process IS there, it is the underpinnings of intuitive thinking.

"Intuitive" leaps based on limited data aren't true intuition at all, but rather guesswork.

Again, my concern is the data you are gathering might be better with more context as we INFP's are trying to be helpful (it's our nature) but the scenarios are vague enough that we might not be responding to the scenario you have in your head. You are thinking "I've tossed a letter opener" and the receiver is thinking "He threw a machete!"

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Insentient. I don't think INTJ's in general are arrogant (some people of any type are). So that isn't where my response is coming from. But I have to say, that this is not how intuitive thinking works. Intuitive thinking relies on processing large amounts of already-gathered data rapidly and jumping to conclusions where we can't always follow the logical process. However, the logical process IS there, it is the underpinnings of intuitive thinking.

"Intuitive" leaps based on limited data aren't true intuition at all, but rather guesswork.

Again, my concern is the data you are gathering might be better with more context as we INFP's are trying to be helpful (it's our nature) but the scenarios are vague enough that we might not be responding to the scenario you have in your head. You are thinking "I've tossed a letter opener" and the receiver is thinking "He threw a machete!"
Your understanding of introverted intuition or extroverted thinking is not accurate, but I'm not going to debate it.

The scenario is not vague. I intentionally leave out details so that you can imagine them as you please and respond according to your own imagination, not what you percieve to be my imagination, is that understandable for you? You're automatically assuming that what I'm saying or not saying is arbitrary, which is not the case. My imagined details are not important, your imagined details are important. Because they tell me more.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Not at all. Cold and hostile? Not sure where you got that from; I said I signed up just to respond to this, did I not? And since you are questioning us it is only fair to question you in return. Right?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts