Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Banned
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it more common among infps to have suicidal thoughts? Ever since I can remember I've had suicidal idealization thoughts and recently they have become more prevalent. I am just wondering if this is normal?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've certainly pulled myself back from the brink, so to speak. It was during my teenage years, so that may explain it, but I would bet that INFPs in particular would put a certain attractive spin on the idea. After experiencing those feelings for so long, however, and knowing some people who took their own lives, I no longer idealize it in that way.

INFPs are probably ones to be less judgmental about the idea, as well. Since it's natural for us to empathize, it makes sense that we'd try to understand the pain of a suicidal person instead of passing judgment. We also tend to base our identities off of our emotions, which means that if we were constantly experiencing emotional turmoil, we might turn to suicide more readily than some other types thinking something along the lines of, "It's just my personality to feel this way all the time - I can't take it anymore," rather than, "I am a person going through some terrible thoughts and feelings - they are present, but they are not me. They will pass."

·
Registered
473 Posts
I don't think I've ever been suicidal, at least in the traditional sense...I don't want to kill myself, but sometimes I want to just stop existing?

I can't seriously contemplate suicide because I know it would hurt people I know too much. >< I had a big scare last year where I though one of my friends committed suicide and it was probably one of the most hellish times of my life. I'd hate to put anybody through that.

Maybe if I were in a situation where I knew nobody was there to care I might consider it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
always heard that INFPs have them ... but think its stupid ... i maybe have more melancholic moods, depressions, take more stress ... but suicide ? INFPs have sort of more global, overview thinking, theyre not stuck with their knowledge and awareness of the outer world in just their little selfish minds ... that leads to fact that i just simply wont allow myself to think about suicide because of my knowledge and my values ... there are far worse situations to be at at this planet ... suicide seems like the stupidest thing from my point of view ... i would rather just drop everything on spot and escape on my own to other far away place if extreme action would be the only option ... for example
its like to imagine i dont know .. a lion ... to go jump from the cliff ... such a things dont happens ... for me ... principles of nature and our planet are the only truly good ones ... not those human-related

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I'd be lying if I said I had never thought about suicide. It's usually when I feel like I'm backed into a corner with no way out. But in reality I would never do it. I know how much it would hurt the people around me and I just couldn't do that to them. I've been on the emotional blackmail end of somebody threatening to commit suicide and it's so painful. I couldn't purposely bring that pain into the lives of others.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I havent ever really seriously contemplated suicide. I have run it thru my mind in various "dark" times in my life but only as a 'what would life be like for my friends & fam if I was gone' type of thing. I could never actually do it. I seem to always have a glimmer of hope no matter how bad things may get or SEEM to get.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have tried to kill myself.

It's fucking shit waking up in hospital, and STILL wanting to die.

Get help NOW, before it gets out of control. I wanted to die so badly, I was afraid of myself. I was barely in control when I did it. That is scary, and you in no way, want to let it escalate to that so please help yourself now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
When I am sad and depressed, in my weakest times, I think a lot about suicide though I don't think it's serious, not yet. The most thing that stop me from doing it is I don't want to break my patents heart, they will be devastated and I would never do that to them.

And I think I am afraid to do something that I can not undo and is forever.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yeah, I thought about it alot in my teenage years. However, I don't credit my INFPness for it, allthough being INFP certainly makes it easier for thoughts like these to enter a mind. Nowadays? I go with some quotes (I love quotes!):

"Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem." - Phil Donahue

“Anyone desperate enough for suicide...should be desperate enough to go to creative extremes to solve problems: elope at midnight, stow away on the boat to New Zealand and start over, do what they always wanted to do but were afraid to try.” - Richard Bach

At least that's how I try to look at it. I could write a book on this topic, but I guess it's easier to just point you to my favourite book instead: Veronica decides to die by Paulo Coelho.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Suicidal idealization? No :) Idealization of death - yes. There is something really fascinating about death itself, as a great wonder of something unknown. For some time I saw death as an ultimate prize, when striving for something undiscovered, but existent for a FACT (not like UFOs, gods, etc). We know it's there, wee all die, but we don't know what is after (even, if there's nothing)!
As far as I remember, I see suicide as an option, a decision person can make, considering(or not) all the consequences within his/her own perception. I don't name it as wrong/right, good/bad. Just sad...maybe.

·
Registered
365 Posts
“Anyone desperate enough for suicide...should be desperate enough to go to creative extremes to solve problems: elope at midnight, stow away on the boat to New Zealand and start over, do what they always wanted to do but were afraid to try.” - Richard Bach

A very, very dear friend of mine gave me that quote one night and I can't believe I'd forgotten it. What wonderful advice. It's a great thing to remind yourself of every day, no matter what kind of emotional state you're in. Thank you for sharing it.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
It is for me, but I would never act on the feelings. And too, I never considered myself normal. I have seen hell and lived to tell about it. INFP's that have never seen hell my not have the same issue. I hope not anyway.

Hm...what do you mean you have seen hell?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have suicidal thoughts at least once a week and it's been that way ever since I was a young teen. But I would never do it; I'm a stupid schmuck but not that stupid of a schmuck. In those periods music gets me through the day. And the thought that there actually are people in this world who love me and would be devastated to see me go away.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Are you willing to spend your whole life searching for what feels right? Take control of Fi and create your own meaning.

~

I have met many young infps who have seriously considered suicide. Very gifted, intelligent, kind people who have no insight into how special they truly are. They are sick of fighting both life, and themselves.
Having unique knowledge of human character, and this constant need for meaning; creating both 'positive' and 'negative' emotions does not make for an easy life. Meaning is somewhat fragile, and infps seem to be more in touch with that more than any other type. They are self referential; 'something exists, but what does it mean to me?'. If the 'me' isn't working properly, then the tendency to make value judgements is never in favor of the potential of the world.

I know mainly young infps and they (especially enneagram ones), feel burdened by an internal need to be like Nietzsche's 'Ubermensch' : a type of superman whose morals and behaviour are seemingly beyond this world. Add to that a world which does not seemingly allow for such a person to subside (even condemns it), or that does not pertain to a certain idealism, and the infp is subject to a turmoil where there is seemingly no respite. Because everything is experienced within, and the inside cannot be 'escaped'.

“Gonzales beautifully explains and explores the paradox that must be absorbed completely if one is to live through a catastrophe--which is that to survive something, you must surrender to it, basically fall into it, accepting all the pain and suffering, if you're ever going to get out of it.
He explains the paradox so well--that in order to survive, one must surrender, yet at the same time not give in. There must be a sheer raw determination to win the game, yet an acceptance of possibly losing it as well, which paradoxically, gives you an edge”

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" - Kurt Vonnegut

“Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned"

“positive inner psychic transformation occurs where children and youth do not have all the things necessary to fulfil all their basic needs and where conditions do not lead to the feeling of complete security.
The transformation is more likely to occur where the individuals have only partial satisfaction of their basic needs and where stimuli exist which provoke at least partial dissatisfaction, hierarchization and postulation of an ideal” (I would like any struggling infps to go look up Dabrowski's theory of positive disintegration)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Been there. Did that. To be more precise, sixteen years ago, I did something appallingly stupid and selfish with the intention of ending my life in a violent and dramatic manner.

The method I chose had a very high likelihood of success. By a freak chance of about 1%, what I did failed to achieve its aim and I walked away without a scratch externally. The internal stuff took a lot longer to sort out.

The fact that I ultimately put my life on the line, only to see as affirmative a message as I could expect that it wasn't my time, pretty much changed my outlook in retrospect. Call it a sign; call it anything. It worked. I have had some dark nights of the soul since, but not in that way again.

NatalieAnne's quote pretty much sums up my attitude:

"Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned."

·
Banned
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Get help NOW, before it gets out of control. I wanted to die so badly, I was afraid of myself. I was barely in control when I did it. That is scary, and you in no way, want to let it escalate to that so please help yourself now.

How did you get help? I began seeing a therapist, but it hasn't been that much help. If my parents weren't alive still I think I would've done it, so I guess I can credit them I am alive.

To be honest, I'm too scared to commit suicide, but if I were to die in a car accident or by some other way than suicide I would not be opposed to that happening.

Reactions: AllorNuthin
1 - 20 of 58 Posts