Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some suitable careers for INFPs? I've looked on similarminds and other sites, but I want to hear it from an actual INFP.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am studying to become a Speech-Language Pathologist. As a male, I am definitely a minority in this field, and the job market couldn't be higher for SLP's.

I am not sure what your interests are, but for me, I am in love with this area of study.

I know that I will be able to make a difference in someone's life by helping them to communicate with their friends and loved ones - and actually get paid well to do it.

I am really excited to get into my career, but I will have to get my master's before I can send out my resume.

Anyways... I'd suggest any care-taking type of position would be most satisfying for an INFP...

Teacher, Counsellor, Therapist, Interpreter (since INFP's tend to have a gift with language), anything in that area comes to mind...

(I hope this helps you! Good Luck :D!)

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Yeah I'm testing out the waters of teaching. I'm not happy about the admin, though it's admin for a child's benefit so I can push through.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm studying to become a community educator. I am specializing in special education and non-governmental organisations and have liked it very much so far. I used to work as a fundraiser,recruiter and educator for UNICEF Finland and really liked the fact that I was working for a cause I believed in 100%. I think the ngo field might be a good shot since there is so much variety and causes to choose from.

·
Registered
39 Posts
INFPs get bored too easily, this helps to keep things changing and fun.
how true. The "what are you doing with your life" discussion has happened far too many times in my house. I'm really into music and theater, but I don't really know what specifically I want to do. I can't teach, cause I don't work well in that situation and I would get soooo bored. I'm hoping to just kinda take things as they come, do a little of this and a little of that, cause I would get mucho bored with just one set job.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm currently working at my first "real" job as a Program Officer with an immigration NGO. I'm working with immigrants to help them settle into society - eg. find jobs, housing, immigration paperwork, coordinate language classes, etc. I absolutely love working with newcomers and taking them out on field trips to familiarize them with Canadian society like taking them skating, curling, to a maple sugar shack, snowshoeing, skiing, etc. I've been trying to organize community events like recognizing International Women's Day and trying to promote multiculturalism. My job is a lot of fun and I love helping people, learning about different cultures, and practicing my french and spanish, but it's hard sometimes because I live in a rural area and people here are very close-minded about accepting newcomers. I would move away from my small hometown if I could but as a recent graduate with an enormous student loan, I have to live at home for a little while.

I've always wanted to work for the United Nations in some foreign country, or with an NGO or the Canadian government in international development. Lately I've been thinking about going back to school for education, and my current dream future would be working abroad for a few years while I'm young and then teaching social studies at home in Canada. I really wish we had more civics classes here, because I have a lot of moral problems with the world today and I wish young people were educated more on the importance of being a citizen first vs a consumer first.

Raakakaakao, your past job with UNICEF sounds awesome.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
So far I am planning on being either a research physicist or a social psychologist.

Reactions: idego and Zegaray

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am not currently doing this but I have really given serious thought to getting an MSW and becoming a Clinical Social Worker. My mom does this and she spends most of her time counseling clients which really appeals to me. The whole profession is about helping people and it seems like all the peoplel she works with are on the same page.

·
Banned
369 Posts
It seems like most of the INFPs I've heard from on this topic are 'thinking about' doing something. (Of course, there's nothing wrong with that lol).
As for a concrete example, my INFP aunt was a mail carrier for most of her professional life.
Since I'm only 17, I can't really have a career yet... but, I'm going to college to pursue a career in psychology. Basically, I want to help other people sort out their emotional issues.

·
Registered
187 Posts
maybe musician (i want to write some music, that can make other feel comfort when hear it) and graphic designer (it's fun to manipulate image)

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm currently working at my first "real" job as a Program Officer with an immigration NGO. I'm working with immigrants to help them settle into society - eg. find jobs, housing, immigration paperwork, coordinate language classes, etc. I absolutely love working with newcomers and taking them out on field trips to familiarize them with Canadian society like taking them skating, curling, to a maple sugar shack, snowshoeing, skiing, etc. I've been trying to organize community events like recognizing International Women's Day and trying to promote multiculturalism. My job is a lot of fun and I love helping people, learning about different cultures, and practicing my french and spanish, but it's hard sometimes because I live in a rural area and people here are very close-minded about accepting newcomers. I would move away from my small hometown if I could but as a recent graduate with an enormous student loan, I have to live at home for a little while.

I've always wanted to work for the United Nations in some foreign country, or with an NGO or the Canadian government in international development. Lately I've been thinking about going back to school for education, and my current dream future would be working abroad for a few years while I'm young and then teaching social studies at home in Canada. I really wish we had more civics classes here, because I have a lot of moral problems with the world today and I wish young people were educated more on the importance of being a citizen first vs a consumer first.

Raakakaakao, your past job with UNICEF sounds awesome.
Really loved your post but wait..what..curling?really?You sure that's the first things you wanna show newcomers? :laughing: just kidding :laughing:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm working on becoming a Midwife.
It's the perfect career for me because it fulfills my need to take care of and help people. It's something I'm incredibly passionate about and it add's so much purpose to my life; which as an INFP I need! :proud:

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
An INFP can be anything you want to be. Since we tend to be mentally bright, there should not be much of anything that we "can't" do. It may be that we "don't" want to do some things but we have the ability to do almost anything. I know I "can't" ever be a runner because my legs are to short. But I can and have been a computer programmer. And that is typically not something an INFP wants to do. But in my case I did want to become a programmer. I have to deal with difficult people and I don't fit in but I can still do it.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It seems like most of the INFPs I've heard from on this topic are 'thinking about' doing something. (Of course, there's nothing wrong with that lol).
As for a concrete example, my INFP aunt was a mail carrier for most of her professional life.
Since I'm only 17, I can't really have a career yet... but, I'm going to college to pursue a career in psychology. Basically, I want to help other people sort out their emotional issues.

i used to want to be a psychologist, and i may still want to do something with therapy, but i think teaching high school is my real calling. but i don't know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been looking into the teaching field; frankly, nothing makes me much happier than knowing I helped illuminate just a little bit more knowledge for someone else.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am not currently doing this but I have really given serious thought to getting an MSW and becoming a Clinical Social Worker. My mom does this and she spends most of her time counseling clients which really appeals to me. The whole profession is about helping people and it seems like all the peoplel she works with are on the same page.
Keep in mind that it's high stress and very low pay for a master's degree. I'm sure, however, that you could apply this degree to other humanitarian careers as well.

My mom is a social worker. I asked her tonight her ideal career would be and she said hers with a lot less cases.

·
Registered
20 Posts
An INFP can be anything you want to be. Since we tend to be mentally bright, there should not be much of anything that we "can't" do. It may be that we "don't" want to do some things but we have the ability to do almost anything. I know I "can't" ever be a runner because my legs are to short. But I can and have been a computer programmer. And that is typically not something an INFP wants to do. But in my case I did want to become a programmer. I have to deal with difficult people and I don't fit in but I can still do it.
That is the most incredible looking cake I have ever seen in my life! Why must you taunt us with cake?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts