Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think about tanning ? When i was younger my mom always told me that sun tanning was unhealthy, i didn't listen. I used to sit back in the sun for hours on end. In my early 20 i developed a few sun spots on my face. The Dr. told me it wasn't cancer, although he gave me all the warning signs and how dangerous it was to bask in the sun.

I have a friend who is 5 years younger than i, she looks 15 years older. Her skin is old, she looks like a wrinkle doll. She tans in Winter using tanning beds, than sits in the hot sun all summer. Tanning beds turn a person orange, so unnatural, while sitting in the sun can make your skin hang from loss of elasticity. This may not be visible early in life, although over time you will see it. This is something that can't be undone, so best to think about it while in your teens.

What about you ? Do you take care of your skin, or do you think tanning is a healthy way to go ? Are you afraid tanning will give you cancer ? I do. I wear a floppy hat most of the summer so the sun can't eat my skin, especially my face. It doesn't help that my skin is fair, so i can burn really fast. Turn back to white and start the process all over ;p

The Dangers of Sun Tanning and Alternative Solutions - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I don't burn easily so I don't have too much concern being outside (unless in a bathing suit on the beach or out all day). However I think tanning isn't a good idea. I don't want to worry about cancer or early wrinkles. Paleness has its attractiveness to me :)

·
Premium Member
INTP
11,905 Posts
I don't tan easily at all (understatement, my friends think calling me a goth is hilarious) so after a couple of times seeing the 'gorgeous' tanned, bottle-blondes up close, :shocked: I gave up the whole idea quickly.
I don't think it's worth the risk or the boring hours spent trying to achieve it.

Reactions: MuChApArAdOx

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I'm sorry if this offends anyone but I think tanned skin looks less attractive than natural un-sunned skin. To me, tans look very dated like big hair, frosted lipstick, long painted nails: a look that has long-passed its prime. I burn and freckle easily and took better care of my skin than most but not as well as I should have; I can't even count the number of times in my youth I got wicked red sunburns! I definitely look younger than many of my peers... but I also think that has to do with the fact I wasn't a smoker and - honestly - being an ENFP, which tends to give us a youthful "vibe."

Edited to add: I'm glad to see a greater variety these days in the colour of models' and celebrities' skin tones. It used to be that a black model could only be successful if she weren't """"too black"""" but now we see someone like Alek Wek gracing the runways. alec.jpg And when I was growing up, celebs often were expected to be tanned, whereas today more and more are proudly sporting their lily white skin. (Note how Dita von Teese is striking the same pose as my baby Chimp profile photo? : )! )
dita-von-teese-as-a-wonderbra-model-21.jpg

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sorry if this offends anyone but I think tanned skin looks less attractive than natural un-sunned skin. To me, tans look very dated like big hair, frosted lipstick, long painted nails: a look that has long-passed its prime. I burn and freckle easily and took better care of my skin than most but not as well as I should have; I can't even count the number of times in my youth I got wicked red sunburns! I definitely look younger than many of my peers... but I also think that has to do with the fact I wasn't a smoker and - honestly - being an ENFP, which tends to give us a youthful "vibe."
heh, i laughed when you said big hair and dated. I could actually hear you say that in my head..ha!

Reactions: NaughyChimp

·
His Majesty
12,625 Posts

Edited to add: I'm glad to see a greater variety these days in the colour of models' and celebrities' skin tones. It used to be that a black model could only be successful if she weren't """"too black"""" but now we see someone like Alek Wek gracing the runways. An View attachment 36985 And when I was growing up, celebs often were expected to be tanned, whereas today more and more are proudly sporting their lily white skin.
View attachment 36986
That first picture with that beautiful dark skin that looks like smooth melted chocolate is awesome.... but I love that beautiful white porcelain skin with dark hair.... As a black man, the sun doesn't bother my skin too much.... but I do get darker..... I go from milk chocolate to dark chocolate.... (dark chocolate is healthier :wink: )

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I'm a natural ginger, so I've never tanned much. It looks quite silly when it happens, and it mostly gives me more freckles. :p Also, skin cancer runs in my family.

Some people look really good tanned, but usually it has more to do with that glow that comes from being active outside. Fake or baked tans often look ridiculous.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Well, I am guilty of laying in the natural sun, it feels so wonderful. I know it's unhealthy, so I wear sunscreen to avoid burning early in the season. I know I should try to avoid sun exposure, but I truly feel so alive when I'm soaking it up. The women in my family seem to age very well but that's beside the point. I don't burn easily and I get a very deep reddish/golden tan despite the blonde hair and lightish colored eyes (great Grandfather was Cherokee).

Besides this, I am all about skin care. I use olive oil as a moisturizer and I make my own sugar exfoliating scrub, as just a couple examples :)

·
His Majesty
12,625 Posts
I understand if you want to be out in the sun, that's understandable.... But to tan just to get one to change your skin color is a bit dangerous to me. I feel that there are many skin colors that are gorgeous.... Why change it? I used to only be attracted to certain skin tones.... but as I grew older, I now love ALL skin tones and colors.... From the porcelain white to the deep dark brown, it's ALL good!

·
His Majesty
12,625 Posts
Hehe, well, I've got some British in me from my ancestors, and I got burned all over in Disneyworld, so that would explain it xD
February is the BEST time to visit Disney World.... It's cooler, and there's less people...

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have been suffering from a severe sunburn for three or four days now, after doing some outdoor work without any protection. My back was on fire and throbbing randomly for two whole days. I'm rather certain that constant sun exposure can't be healthy. It's funny how one can just forget how bad a sunburn hurts, and how long afterwards the pain must be endured. I'm sure there's some neat comparison to be made there between short-term and long-term exposure/aftereffects, but I am just too tired to get into it.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I've really never had a problem with my skin burning from being in the sun, and I was in the sun a lot as a child. After I started middle school, I stopped going to the beach so much and rather enjoyed seeing myself with fair skin. After that, I stopped going in the sun so much because I: a) Am well aware of the problems being in the sun long term can have on the skin; b) I didn't like seeing pictures of myself with really tanned skin in the summer and really light in the winter; I prefer to keep my skin the same shade year round.

Today- I avoid the sun as if it were a plague, and have absolutely no interest in tanning at all. Yesterday I knew I would be in the sun a lot, and packed on sunscreen spf 85 for my arms and spf 70 for my face.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I burn and freckle very easily. I've had a few bad sunburns in my life that I've managed to get despite being very careful, wearing SPF 30+ and staying out of direct sunlight. One of them I got while spending the entire day following the shade around. I can't really spend more than 15 minutes at a time outdoors during midday. I like having a few freckles on my face, but any time I get any sunlight, I'm careful to make sure it's between 3pm to around 6pm. Any earlier and I'm inside.

I don't mind being pale though. I think it reflects my health. These days, seeing someone overly tanned is akin to seeing someone unhealthy.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts