Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you think it looks way too long, please just read a couple question and give me your general opinion, and if you read the whole thing, there will definitely be thanks to be given out.

​Thanks!

1. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

Ahh. I’m a freshman in college after taking some time off not knowing what I wanted to major in. I still don’t know and now I'm back, and feel like the clock is ticking to find a major. The problem is there are so many classes I want to take, the idea of picking one direction and making it your soul focus seems weird to me. (Like I want to take Journalism, history, graphic design, film, also sort of interested in health but more for wanting to figure out how to feel better. Some science classes like Biology sort of interests me just because there sort of broad and cover a lot of really interesting stuff. Really if I could do anything though I’d travel and write about the interesting people, places and “knowledge” I found along the way, even though I’m not super good at meeting new people.
If you just read this and don’t want to go any farther, you might have enough to type me haha.

Oh and 20, and male.

2. What type(s) do you usually score as on tests?

INFP, INFJ, ISFJ, ISFP, ISTP. Sometimes ENFP or ESFP.

Pretty sure I'm a feeler though.

3. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Choose 2 photos and look at each for as long as you feel that you need. Copy and paste the photos here (or write the link like example: www[dot]flickr[dot]com/photos/jacoboson/8697480741/in/explore-2013-05-01), and write your impression of each of them.

Contact............. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

My Grandpa was a pilot. Also used to watch a lot of History Channel (Modern Marvels was the shit) along with Discovery Channel, Nat Geo channel, and Animal Planet (RIP Steve Irwin) as a kid. So it kind reminds me of that, something WWII-y. I also took a flight school class but never studied so I didn’t get a pilots license. But flying’s crazy fun, just wish there wasn't so much planning involved and you could just hop in a plane and go to concert or something on the other side of the country.

Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Wow. Breathe taking. That view of sort of reminds me of the view at my parents house, seeing the sunrise come up over the mountains and the lake. Even thought that’s the ocean. These are the sorts of places I want to go someday. I should really start learning how to use my camera more so I can capture awesome images like this. These are the sorts of places that make life worth living. You can almost smell the cool salty ocean air.

These pictures really bring out Si I feel, just because I've always associated WWII planes with him and that view looks like home. Had they been something else I wonder if the responses would have sounded different.

4. You are on the clock to fix something, a friend of yours sits beside you and gives a lot of interesting ideas, none of them actually help or are related to your situation, but they are still something you find interesting. What is your reaction? What do you say? What do you do? What's your train of thought?

Probably just work through it and tolerate him. If I’m feeling sort of pissy and hes being really annoying then just sarcastic remarks and hopefully he’d get the idea and leave me alone.

5a. What are some of your most important values?

I don’t know. I look at my roommate, and he’s super smart and is going to make a great engineer, I just feel like he’s passing up and missing out on so much of life, and is just concerned with making a bunch of money (he’ll even straight tell you that, that’s how backwards he is) But I’m still Undecided, but even though I’m not super putting myself out there I still do and have done a lot of cool stuff and want to do more (got a whole list of countries I want to go backpack, I’ve never done anything like that but going with my brother or another good friend or even by myself sounds like a blast). But he looks at me like I’m backwards, don’t know what I’m doing and will never be “successful”, but to me success is enjoying life and not being depressed, and trying to get the right ratio of financial stability along with freedom to do what you want to do. I don’t know, I having a hard time articulating what I’m trying to say but I think you get what I mean. I don’t think making a ton of money and living a boring life watching tv waiting to die is the correct way to live, but I also don’t think having this really cool life traveling all around meeting tons of fascinating people seeing a bunch of awesome views like the one above but having to worry about where your next meal is coming from is successful, either. Hope that made sense.

5b. Can they change? What would be the reason if they changed?

I doubt it,

6. You are in a car with some other people, the people in the car are talking. Someone makes a claim that you see as immoral/rude/cruel. What is your inward reaction? What do you think? What do you say?

So if I was in a car and someone said something really racist or intolerant or whatever:
inwardly sort of tense up, and go (in my head) “oh, this guys and idiot”, but say nothing or not really agree but say something that will sort of let the guy finish and then change the subject.

7. a) What activities energizes you the most? Why?

Getting an idea and running with it and if it works like I wanted it to. It doesn't happen all the time. Just got a video camera and I needed to edit a video and I kept putting it off but once I started, it was so much fun that I worked for 5 hours straight and forgot to eat lunch or dinner. That feeling of “oh wouldn't it be cool if this happened or if the part where he falls matches up with this part of the song OH MY GOD they match up so perfectly this is awesome.” I like that feeling. Feeling of creating something? I guess. Something where you can step back and be like, “I made that” but not really ever say it to anyone. Or humble brag. Haha.

Doing something that I know is good for me/bettering myself, (even though it can be hard to start) whether that be going for a bike ride/working out/snowboarding, working on a project for school writing or reading a book or doing my math homework. Feels good once its done.

High amounts of sugar and caffeine.

7. b) What activities drains you the most? Why?

I don’t know. Sometimes I'll get really depressed if I’m just sitting around doing absolutely nothing for too many days in a row.

8. Do you believe you are introverted or extraverted? Why do you believe that? (Please be as detailed as possible)

Its hard to tell, I'm either a shy extrovert of an introvert. I lean on the side of introvert because I can't spend the night at a friends house without feeling like I need to go home within a couple hours of waking up, then I could maybe come back over that night to party if I'm feeling it. Unlike some of my friends that once the weekend hits, party Friday, crash at someone’s house, wake up, hang out all day, party all night and do it again.

9. Please describe yourself, what do you see as your greatest strengths and what do you see as your greatest weaknesses?

Strengths…I don't know I think I've got some good Ideas about what’s important, health family friends and working towards/developing skills that I want, I just sometime need a little nudge and get hung up once things get easy. Like I bought this camera sitting next to me, I need to go shoot often.
Weakness….well like in that example where I cried in the bathroom…I guess I’ve got some weird (misplaced?) emotions that make me a little sensitive, especially for a guy. Like anytime I talk to a counselor or therapist about something…I’ll cry. And it sucks.

10. Please describe yourself when you are feeling stressed. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.
I had a job sitting in a cubicle entering numbers off a sheet of paper into a computer and pretty had a break down about an hour into it. Something about that sort of work…. I just can’t do (I like doing a some math though, like algebra can be sort of fun its way, its like a puzzle. But that job was like drone work.)

During the break down I went into the bathroom and just cried that my life had come to this and I always promised myself I’d never work a job solely for the paycheck. I lasted 1 day at that job.

11. What is your "soft spot" (the area that makes you upset if people mess with)?

If someone really attacks something personal to me, be that my family, friends, myself, or like I recently found out… Where I’m from. (I guess because that’s sort of a part of me and who I am, especially when the kid didn't know what he’s talking about.)

12. What are most of the ideas/thoughts you get generally centered around (try to expand your answers as much as possible)?

Haha. What MBTI type am I? What should I major in? What am I doing with my life? My brother and I really should book those tickets to New Zealand for next summer. I should probably learn how to use this camera instead of ponder my MBTI type. Constantly Googling “Is X a good major”

13. What's your opinion of getting frequent feedback on what you do? (Someone pointing out what is good, what is bad, what and how to improve) Is there a limit to how often you want feedback? If so, what is the limit?

I appreciate it, It helps me improve, though (like in this design project I just turned in) if they miss what I was going for then I’ll stand up and defend it and try tell them/ show them what I was trying to get across. Otherwise if what they're saying is indeed spot on, I guess just listen to what they have to say.

14. Anything beyond what has been discussed that you would like to add?

I don’t know I’ve kind of been just lost for a long time, and don’t know if I necessarily want to be found (ie. Your good at math or health, become an engineer or doctor) when that just sounds so cut and dry. I want life to be more of an adventure, but I also at some point know I’m going to want to settle down…….I feel like I want to go to school for the Journalism anthropology film graphic design stand up comedian writer adventurer major now, and then when I’m 40 and half dead I’ll become a doctor or engineer or something more stable where I can raise a family and live that adventure, too. AHHH I don't know. I just want someone to say its okay to go chasing my dreams I don't really know how to make it happen, I just want some (my parents mainly, there freaking out that my first thought every day is not "become an engineer/doctor/physical therapist/computer stuff/something worth sending you to college for) I want them to just say "Its alright. just go do whatever it is you want to do. Where right behind you."
Dammit. Now I've got tears running down my cheek.

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
If you think it looks way too long, please just read a couple question and give me your general opinion, and if you read the whole thing, there will definitely be thanks to be given out.

​Thanks!

1. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

Ahh. I’m a freshman in college after taking some time off not knowing what I wanted to major in. I still don’t know and now I'm back, and feel like the clock is ticking to find a major. The problem is there are so many classes I want to take, the idea of picking one direction and making it your soul focus seems weird to me. (Like I want to take Journalism, history, graphic design, film, also sort of interested in health but more for wanting to figure out how to feel better. Some science classes like Biology sort of interests me just because there sort of broad and cover a lot of really interesting stuff. Really if I could do anything though I’d travel and write about the interesting people, places and “knowledge” I found along the way, even though I’m not super good at meeting new people.
If you just read this and don’t want to go any farther, you might have enough to type me haha.

Oh and 20, and male.

2. What type(s) do you usually score as on tests?

INFP, INFJ, ISFJ, ISFP, ISTP. Sometimes ENFP or ESFP.

Pretty sure I'm a feeler though.

3. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Choose 2 photos and look at each for as long as you feel that you need. Copy and paste the photos here (or write the link like example: www[dot]flickr[dot]com/photos/jacoboson/8697480741/in/explore-2013-05-01), and write your impression of each of them.

Contact............. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

My Grandpa was a pilot. Also used to watch a lot of History Channel (Modern Marvels was the shit) along with Discovery Channel, Nat Geo channel, and Animal Planet (RIP Steve Irwin) as a kid. So it kind reminds me of that, something WWII-y. I also took a flight school class but never studied so I didn’t get a pilots license. But flying’s crazy fun, just wish there wasn't so much planning involved and you could just hop in a plane and go to concert or something on the other side of the country.

Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Wow. Breathe taking. That view of sort of reminds me of the view at my parents house, seeing the sunrise come up over the mountains and the lake. Even thought that’s the ocean. These are the sorts of places I want to go someday. I should really start learning how to use my camera more so I can capture awesome images like this. These are the sorts of places that make life worth living. You can almost smell the cool salty ocean air.

These pictures really bring out Si I feel, just because I've always associated WWII planes with him and that view looks like home. Had they been something else I wonder if the responses would have sounded different.

4. You are on the clock to fix something, a friend of yours sits beside you and gives a lot of interesting ideas, none of them actually help or are related to your situation, but they are still something you find interesting. What is your reaction? What do you say? What do you do? What's your train of thought?

Probably just work through it and tolerate him. If I’m feeling sort of pissy and hes being really annoying then just sarcastic remarks and hopefully he’d get the idea and leave me alone.

5a. What are some of your most important values?

I don’t know. I look at my roommate, and he’s super smart and is going to make a great engineer, I just feel like he’s passing up and missing out on so much of life, and is just concerned with making a bunch of money (he’ll even straight tell you that, that’s how backwards he is) But I’m still Undecided, but even though I’m not super putting myself out there I still do and have done a lot of cool stuff and want to do more (got a whole list of countries I want to go backpack, I’ve never done anything like that but going with my brother or another good friend or even by myself sounds like a blast). But he looks at me like I’m backwards, don’t know what I’m doing and will never be “successful”, but to me success is enjoying life and not being depressed, and trying to get the right ratio of financial stability along with freedom to do what you want to do. I don’t know, I having a hard time articulating what I’m trying to say but I think you get what I mean. I don’t think making a ton of money and living a boring life watching tv waiting to die is the correct way to live, but I also don’t think having this really cool life traveling all around meeting tons of fascinating people seeing a bunch of awesome views like the one above but having to worry about where your next meal is coming from is successful, either. Hope that made sense.

5b. Can they change? What would be the reason if they changed?

I doubt it,

6. You are in a car with some other people, the people in the car are talking. Someone makes a claim that you see as immoral/rude/cruel. What is your inward reaction? What do you think? What do you say?

So if I was in a car and someone said something really racist or intolerant or whatever:
inwardly sort of tense up, and go (in my head) “oh, this guys and idiot”, but say nothing or not really agree but say something that will sort of let the guy finish and then change the subject.

7. a) What activities energizes you the most? Why?

Getting an idea and running with it and if it works like I wanted it to. It doesn't happen all the time. Just got a video camera and I needed to edit a video and I kept putting it off but once I started, it was so much fun that I worked for 5 hours straight and forgot to eat lunch or dinner. That feeling of “oh wouldn't it be cool if this happened or if the part where he falls matches up with this part of the song OH MY GOD they match up so perfectly this is awesome.” I like that feeling. Feeling of creating something? I guess. Something where you can step back and be like, “I made that” but not really ever say it to anyone. Or humble brag. Haha.

Doing something that I know is good for me/bettering myself, (even though it can be hard to start) whether that be going for a bike ride/working out/snowboarding, working on a project for school writing or reading a book or doing my math homework. Feels good once its done.

High amounts of sugar and caffeine.

7. b) What activities drains you the most? Why?

I don’t know. Sometimes I'll get really depressed if I’m just sitting around doing absolutely nothing for too many days in a row.

8. Do you believe you are introverted or extraverted? Why do you believe that? (Please be as detailed as possible)

Its hard to tell, I'm either a shy extrovert of an introvert. I lean on the side of introvert because I can't spend the night at a friends house without feeling like I need to go home within a couple hours of waking up, then I could maybe come back over that night to party if I'm feeling it. Unlike some of my friends that once the weekend hits, party Friday, crash at someone’s house, wake up, hang out all day, party all night and do it again.

9. Please describe yourself, what do you see as your greatest strengths and what do you see as your greatest weaknesses?

Strengths…I don't know I think I've got some good Ideas about what’s important, health family friends and working towards/developing skills that I want, I just sometime need a little nudge and get hung up once things get easy. Like I bought this camera sitting next to me, I need to go shoot often.
Weakness….well like in that example where I cried in the bathroom…I guess I’ve got some weird (misplaced?) emotions that make me a little sensitive, especially for a guy. Like anytime I talk to a counselor or therapist about something…I’ll cry. And it sucks.

10. Please describe yourself when you are feeling stressed. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.
I had a job sitting in a cubicle entering numbers off a sheet of paper into a computer and pretty had a break down about an hour into it. Something about that sort of work…. I just can’t do (I like doing a some math though, like algebra can be sort of fun its way, its like a puzzle. But that job was like drone work.)

During the break down I went into the bathroom and just cried that my life had come to this and I always promised myself I’d never work a job solely for the paycheck. I lasted 1 day at that job.

11. What is your "soft spot" (the area that makes you upset if people mess with)?

If someone really attacks something personal to me, be that my family, friends, myself, or like I recently found out… Where I’m from. (I guess because that’s sort of a part of me and who I am, especially when the kid didn't know what he’s talking about.)

12. What are most of the ideas/thoughts you get generally centered around (try to expand your answers as much as possible)?

Haha. What MBTI type am I? What should I major in? What am I doing with my life? My brother and I really should book those tickets to New Zealand for next summer. I should probably learn how to use this camera instead of ponder my MBTI type. Constantly Googling “Is X a good major”

13. What's your opinion of getting frequent feedback on what you do? (Someone pointing out what is good, what is bad, what and how to improve) Is there a limit to how often you want feedback? If so, what is the limit?

I appreciate it, It helps me improve, though (like in this design project I just turned in) if they miss what I was going for then I’ll stand up and defend it and try tell them/ show them what I was trying to get across. Otherwise if what they're saying is indeed spot on, I guess just listen to what they have to say.

14. Anything beyond what has been discussed that you would like to add?

I don’t know I’ve kind of been just lost for a long time, and don’t know if I necessarily want to be found (ie. Your good at math or health, become an engineer or doctor) when that just sounds so cut and dry. I want life to be more of an adventure, but I also at some point know I’m going to want to settle down…….I feel like I want to go to school for the Journalism anthropology film graphic design stand up comedian writer adventurer major now, and then when I’m 40 and half dead I’ll become a doctor or engineer or something more stable where I can raise a family and live that adventure, too. AHHH I don't know. I just want someone to say its okay to go chasing my dreams I don't really know how to make it happen, I just want some (my parents mainly, there freaking out that my first thought every day is not "become an engineer/doctor/physical therapist/computer stuff/something worth sending you to college for) I want them to just say "Its alright. just go do whatever it is you want to do. Where right behind you."
Dammit. Now I've got tears running down my cheek.
I'd say ISFP. I think we can all feel nostalgic and think back to things, but memory isn't necessarily what Si is about. I don't get Si from you.

You have a clear appreciation for your senses, sight, smells, touches... You even have an avid appreciation for photography.Fi dominant with Se tertiary seems to make sense to me, based upon your answers. You seem to place more value on people than things, which is why I say ISFP and not ISTP.

Also, I came here because you misspelled 'then'.. It should be 'than' in this particular instance. In your title.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I recognize a lot of IxFP traits in your story, so INFP or ISFP

Reactions: SorkBoard

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I recognize a lot of IxFP traits in your story, so INFP or ISFP

Thanks, those are the 2 I've been stuck between for a long time. Someone should make a video, what's like through the eyes of an intuitive and there thought process and then do the same for a sensor. Even get more specific and do Ne Ni and Se Si.

Anyways this guys my first attempt to type someone, I'm going with INFP

<p><a href="http://vimeo.com/74154632">Welcome: Forest Bailey</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/adidassnowboarding">Adidas Snowboarding</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

·
Registered
626 Posts
ISFP? I don't think so. Too much of a dreamer; too much focus on possibilities. Ne-Si seems very clear to me– the conflict between a desire for unlimited novel experience and a more sensitive ( less developed) desire for security and loyalty to your parents/past. I was actually thinking ENFP at first but INFP as I read on, though I'm not certain for either. Definitely Fi– you have very personal values and you seem very sensitive to how you and others live up to those values (or don't).

You might see if you relate more to this:
http://personalitycafe.com/enfp-articles/76803-recognizing-inferior-function-enfps.html
or this:
http://personalitycafe.com/infp-articles/76770-recognizing-inferior-function-ifps.html

(it might be better to read these side by side to maintain a sense of perspective since you are likely to identify with both to some degree– one should be noticeably more true for you though)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ISFP? I don't think so. Too much of a dreamer; too much focus on possibilities. Ne-Si seems very clear to me– the conflict between a desire for unlimited novel experience and a more sensitive ( less developed) desire for security and loyalty to your parents/past. I was actually thinking ENFP at first but INFP as I read on, though I'm not certain for either. Definitely Fi– you have very personal values and you seem very sensitive to how you and others live up to those values (or don't).

http://personalitycafe.com/enfp-articles/76803-recognizing-inferior-function-enfps.html
or this:
http://personalitycafe.com/infp-articles/76770-recognizing-inferior-function-ifps.html

(it might be better to read these side by side to maintain a sense of perspective since you are likely to identify with both to some degree– one should be noticeably more true for you though)

Thanks, I'll give them a read and report back. I thought ENFP for a while but I'm not so sure. INFP is one I've thought I was for a long time.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

or this:

I didn't read the whole ENFP one yet but I will, just skimmed, but I think the IFP one confirmed that I'm sort of IXFP.

Now if I knew which one...

·
Registered
626 Posts
I didn't read the whole ENFP one yet but I will, just skimmed, but I think the IFP one confirmed that I'm sort of IXFP.

Now if I knew which one...
I'm sure you'll figure it out soon enough. I'd vote INFP though. Though it's always dangerous to characterize types of people with broad generalizations, ISFPs aren't as tied to the past as INFPs and may find it easier to just go out and follow their dreams because their dreams are based on the concrete reality around them. On the other hand, INFPs dreams might revolve around imagined possibilities that have no basis in their current realities. INFPs also tend to be more nostalgic and tied to their pasts than ISFPs. ISFPs are drawn to more hands on work and live better in the moment than INFPs who are more attuned to the abstract possibilities.

Again, these kinds of generalizations are flimsy at best. You might try taking a look at the INFP forums and the ISFP forums and see where you better fit.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One thing I notice is I have a really hard time talking to people, mostly just listening to other people having a conversation and not really adding anything in. Its really frustrating, and I feel like most of the time people invite me to go do stuff its because they feel bad rather then enjoying my company and wanting to hang out. Idk. this is more a vent then having to do with MBTI. Unless this tells you something.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One thing I just noticed is I say I want to travel the world and have all these amazing experiences, but then yesterday I turn down staying at a party hanging out with all these kids I kind of know just because I won't be able to sleep in my own bed. And after I leave I think. "Damn. That was an opportunity blown." This same thing happened today too, could of went hiking with 4 kids but when they ask if I want to go, I make something up and say I'm tired, but I know its fun because I did the same thing with them a few days before. Does this mean anything? what the hells wrong with me, and why don't I just put myself out there and socialize? ahhhhh.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So INFP, ISFP, and I don't want to admit it, but I can identify a lot with ISFJ. But for some reason predisposed to not liking that one for some reason.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I read somewhere in your story that you were in a car and someone said something against your values and you didn't say that it was wrong to them. This is what made me think you maybe aren't an INFP (what i thought before) because it always seemed to me it's a very strong trait in them, not being able to stand someone violating their values. I know i have this quite strongly. If someone goes against one of my values i HAVE to say something. If i'm able to hold it in, witch takes a great deal of effort, i'll start ranting to somebody else later on. But maybe this is a personal quirck that isn't related to being an INFP.

After reading some more of your story and some new comments i do think you are an INFP though.

Anyway, about the video, i would try youtube. There is alot of stuff (good and bad) about the MBTI on there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts