Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Though I don't follow organized religion, I've always felt some kind of spiritual connection to the world. Some kind of inner peace I guess. But lately I've had some super nihilistic thoughts. I'm consumed with the idea that we humans are just a bunch of animals with advanced communication and infrastructure, that life was an accident, etc. Kind of turns dark when you overthink it. I hope this isn't a result of depression or anxiety, which I thought I was getting over. My depression and anxiety were so bad in the past I felt constant physical pain and have a constantly poopy/angry face. My theory is that pain is translating into dark thoughts.

Also, I remember seeing a homeless man about a year ago that constantly walked the streets staring at everything without blinking. His eyes were bloodshot red, probably partly due to drug use. But there was just something about that was immensely painful, like he had literally seen hell. I am now wondering intensely what he was thinking.

Anyone have nihilistic thoughts they want to share to give me a perspective?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Let's take it all to be true - we are animals with fancy toys and life began more or less by chance.

Now consider what can be achieved by applying purpose and thoughtful design.

Sure, the baseline is not much to look at, but that's why it's the baseline. It's up to each of us to springboard from it and do something that makes our time feel well-spent.

Put aside big thoughts like history and legacy for a while. Focus on the here and now. Find moments that you can sink into and the clouds of nihilism will gradually dissipate.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I get similar thoughts but whether they come from a place of depression or not, I don't mind getting them because I desire a deeper understanding of the universe (why were here kind of thing) and I need all the perspectives/ideas to form any sort of understanding. So, you may be depressed or those thoughts may just be because of a desire to have a better understanding of everything.

For instance, death will sometimes come up in my thoughts. Sometimes I wonder if after we die then that's it-- we're just gone. And that freaks me out. A guarantee of some sort of life after death would be nice but it's not like we can talk to the dead to make sure.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think just like that! But I don't see it as a problem though... I used to get through existential crisis but (post?)humanism saved me. Because yes, we are just animals, and sometimes super cruel, and life is a bunch of purposeless events and everything is nonsensical. But holding dear to the belief that we human beings are responsible for ourselves and are capable of making the world a good place gives me hope. I believe one day we won't have oppression, violence and poverty anymore. It's based on evidence that these things have been declining for centuries, but still and ideology, just a belief - but it gives me hope. And I can make my life have a meaning by making sure the world is a little bit better because I was here than if I never existed

·
Registered
493 Posts
nihilistic thoughts and existential crises thoughts, in and of themselves, to my mind, are part of being a thinker.

I bet they come and go for a lot of people here. You titled your post "super nihilistic thoughts" so saying they are super I assume you mean that you are having too many of them at the moment. Wisdom comes from reflection but also from skill. Personally I found that accepting these thoughts as part and parcel of being someone who thinks kinda lets them have their space without letting them own every room in the house, as it were.

When you are working with anxiety and depression, they heal over time (2 steps forward one step back) and you will see over time that your thoughts will not cause as much anxiety. If you are doing things to help your mood, over time your thoughts will not have as much affect on your mood.

I once had someone tell me to try to stop thinking so much. ha ha ha. I don't think they get it. Thoughts are ok, but a person who thinks has to learn skills with their own mood and thoughts.

Finding something that makes you laugh can help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts