Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have come to resent fashion.

Not just popular, mainstream fashion, but any fashion at all. I want to be able to go outside dressed like crap and with no makeup on and have everyone think I look beautiful. I want to go outside and see everyone else dressed like crap with no makeup on, and see only their inner beauty. If such a world ever existed I would cry with happiness.

In our society we are constantly focusing on sex appeal and attracting others. We conform to all these nitpicky standards just to get people to like us. But once you stop conforming, people get upset. Is there any reason to believe, girl with makeup and sexy clothes, that anyone actually truly likes you for you?

I really don't know. I understand we have biological impulses that make certain superficial things attractive to some of us, but I find myself actively resisting having any superficial qualities in myself, even if it would make me more attractive overall, and even if I become miserable because of it. The whole concept just makes me sick.

How about you? What are your views on this?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I want to be able to go outside dressed like crap and with no makeup on and have everyone think I look beautiful. I want to go outside and see everyone else dressed like crap with no makeup on, and see only their inner beauty. If such a world ever existed I would cry with happiness.
Join the army.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have come to resent fashion.

Not just popular, mainstream fashion, but any fashion at all. I want to be able to go outside dressed like crap and with no makeup on and have everyone think I look beautiful. I want to go outside and see everyone else dressed like crap with no makeup on, and see only their inner beauty. If such a world ever existed I would cry with happiness.

In our society we are constantly focusing on sex appeal and attracting others. We conform to all these nitpicky standards just to get people to like us. But once you stop conforming, people get upset. Is there any reason to believe, girl with makeup and sexy clothes, that anyone actually truly likes you for you?

I really don't know. I understand we have biological impulses that make certain superficial things attractive to some of us, but I find myself actively resisting having any superficial qualities in myself, even if it would make me more attractive overall, and even if I become miserable because of it. The whole concept just makes me sick.

How about you? What are your views on this?
Aww:( but i love fashion, and..superficiality does exist. It's not all bad though..you get to check out cute guys and flirt with them.[Yes I love playing the seductive card when I can:tongue:.]
Ok, on a more serious note, I understand what you're saying and I hated fashion once too. But for me, it has become more of an art form. I look at it as a way to express my tastes to the world.
And..fashion can be seductive! Just think of the thrill of seeing someone in a pretty dress/hot clothes[sorry!:tongue:]
I'm sorry that you hate it so much, but there's definitely an upside to fashion.
Also, as shorttail said BE A TRENDSETTER.
peace, love, and inspiration♥

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never really had an interest in flirting with people. It always just seemed so... fake. Plus I have a boyfriend, so no need to be flirting with random people anymore =P

It's the seductive aspect of fashion that I don't like. Creativity is great. But seduction... I don't know. I've never really understood it. It seems insincere, you know? I tend not to look at people's appearances, and when I do it's just aesthetic appreciation...

Also I'm not sure exactly what you mean, what trend should I be setting? A fashionless one? :laughing: I guess so.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I've never really had an interest in flirting with people. It always just seemed so... fake. Plus I have a boyfriend, so no need to be flirting with random people anymore =P

It's the seductive aspect of fashion that I don't like. Creativity is great. But seduction... I don't know. I've never really understood it. It seems insincere, you know? I tend not to look at people's appearances, and when I do it's just aesthetic appreciation...

Also I'm not sure exactly what you mean, what trend should I be setting? A fashionless one? :laughing: I guess so.
@ shorttail
yes, absolutely. it's very important to me.

Aww, I love flirting! It's so much fun, turns you on, and makes you really happy, plus it's cute!!Oh plus you get a surefire way to make new friends(& maybe romantic possibilities!) I'm not sure why.
lol ic. oh well, you're missing out on the flirting aspect but you do gain on the relationships aspect!
ohh =( ..damn
well seductive is in the personality. you have to KNOW how to flirt to be seductive[learning by watching 60s films works best!!], but I prefer to combine that with a bit of my own style.
Agreed it seems insincere[but it's cute and fun!!!] Still..the personality is where it's at[yes, I think all guys are cute!!]
Yup, your OWN trend, which if it is a fashionless one, so be it!
wow..what i just wrote is so girly, but w/e i am a girl after all:laughing:

Reactions: Windswept Sky

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
I realized all of this at some point and I wanted no part of it. If I feel like going out in public without brushing my hair or wearing makeup some days, screw them. They can look at someone else if they don't like what they see. I decided it doesn't matter if insignificant people like my outfit, or want to screw me. I missed what it felt like being a child, and being completely oblivious to the whole game. You could stand around with filthy legs from having been playing outside all day and not have a care in the world what anyone was thinking. My hygiene is excellent btw - and that is for me. Lol. But so far as worrying what people are thinking about my physical form in general.. nope. Don't matter.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I think you are experiencing something which I have heard mentioned before in the Enneagram called "Type 4 Countervanity" - I haven't been able to find any details, but I am guessing it works kind of like "Type 6 Counterphobia."

Type 4s are supposed to be characterized by a certain amount of vanity, but then they can act against that vanity with sort of a rebellion to the concept, just as Type 6s are supposed to be characterized by a certain amount of phobia, but they can act against that with direct confrontation of their fears.

I am distracted by my low battery life and failing power cord, so please forgive me if I didn't make much sense here.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I've actually never thought of that before. It's an interesting idea. Imagine if fashion and the idea of superficial beauty never existed in the first place. The world would be such a different place.

I will now be day dreaming about this for the rest of the day.
you guys are only looking at the negatives =(
fashion=fabulous♥

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think you are experiencing something which I have heard mentioned before in the Enneagram called "Type 4 Countervanity" - I haven't been able to find any details, but I am guessing it works kind of like "Type 6 Counterphobia."

Type 4s are supposed to be characterized by a certain amount of vanity, but then they can act against that vanity with sort of a rebellion to the concept, just as Type 6s are supposed to be characterized by a certain amount of phobia, but they can act against that with direct confrontation of their fears.

I am distracted by my low battery life and failing power cord, so please forgive me if I didn't make much sense here.
Huh... that's really interesting, thank you. I think some of it is that, but not all of it. Part of me is honestly curious to understand if there is actually any real significant value to vanity.

Also, my power cord sucks, too. If I unplug this laptop it turns off. No more charging for me...

·
Registered
782 Posts
Reactions: whiterwair

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Okay sorry, when I've gathered my thoughts, this is actually what I meant;

Beauty is subjective and what's important is how you let it define you.

For example, I do wear make up in moderation and I do like to dress stylishly. I like moderation though, I tend to be moderate in most things because of I need a balance between my values and personal wants. (I am religious so I don't wear extra revealling clothes etc)

Anyway the point is, I do those things because it makes me feel good. What is personally beautiful to one person may not mean much to the next person.

You may say you don't see the point of fashion, and that's fine, but others may do. And for them on an inner level, it could be more than just conforming, it could mean a deeper self expression to them.

·
Registered
782 Posts
You may say you don't see the point of fashion, and that's fine, but others may do. And for them on an inner level, it could be more than just conforming, it could mean a deeper self expression to them.
thank you, izzie. and yes, im a defender of fashion:proud:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts