Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi INFPs. It's me again.

I'm looking for random advice about a random non-problem that doesn't really concern any of you...

Okay, so I have a random urge to play Pokemon. I love Pokemon. Always have. It reminds me of my childhood.

However, in order for me to play Pokemon I would need to go buy a DS and a Pokemon game. I don't have enough money in my checking account to go buy these as I am a poor little college student. But! I have two separate savings accounts I could dip into and a credit card. So technically, I could easily go buy this. The question is whether I would faithfully pay myself back. If I took money from Savings 1, I would probably procrastinate repaying myself... If I took from Savings 2, I would probably stress that I wouldn't repay it fast enough, though I would feel very pressured to make sure I get the money back in there. And if I were to charge it, my reaction would be somewhere in the middle of the last reaction...

If you're still reading...

I could obviously just not buy it. This isn't a huge deal. But I've been really stressed out lately in raising my 3.5 to a 4.0 and I feel like I might deserve a sort of reward, you know? And I'm not quick to give myself a reward, or any slack for that matter.

Sigh.

I know I've blown this massively out of proportion, BUT - any opinions?

That aren't mean - don't be a jerk.

·
Banned
70 Posts
I love Pokemon too.

Why don't you just download the game and play on your computer? You've probably downloaded a lot of movies and music already.

Reactions: Aryn2

·
Registered
521 Posts
I love Pokemon too.

Why don't you just download the game and play on your computer? You've probably downloaded a lot of movies and music already.
This also was going to be my answer; the DS emulator functions quite well and should be able to play the latest Pokemon games, but if all else fails, there's also the old ones which are still incredible.

·
MOTM January 2013
10,623 Posts
Well:

Do you think you will end up owning this item anyway in the future?
Could you take half of the money out of account 1 and half out of account 2 and then pay those back at a steady pace?
Or just take all the money out of either account and pay back at a steady pace?
What exactly is causing you to procrastinate paying them back before you have bought the item?
Would you be able to get by without this item and go back to #1.
Do you have ways to generate the income to pay back what you've spent?
If so, is it expected to be a longer term payback, basically how long would it take you to pay back into your accounts.
And credit cards have interest rates which if you have procrastination problems in paying back then buying with credit card is not good news.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I think I'm very emotionally invested in this somehow, suddenly. I imagine you, with your 4.0 and everything, deciding not to get a DS and Pokémon despite your random, nostalgic urge, and then life passing, our civilization ending, new ones rising and falling, finally the sun dying, all life on our planet disappearing, and then the heat death of the universe. And you never got a DS and Pokémon. Please get it. If not for yourself, for me. I would take the money from Savings 1, and then write on a piece of paper that you must return this money as soon as you can, with lots of swear words and threats, and put it somewhere conspicuously. And if you fail to do so, it's a small price to learn that you can't trust yourself in similar cases in the future, knowledge which it's impossible to imagine how much money will eventually save you anyway!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
All habits are made up of three parts: a cue, a routine, and a reward.

So in childhood, there was some cue that triggered your routine of playing Pokemon and you got some psychological or physiological reward from it.

So now that you're in college, something is triggering that cue and your brain wants whatever reward you were getting from playing Pokemon.

So to change a habit, you have to figure out your reward first, then figure out the cue that's triggering the routine. Lastly, you figure out a new routine that will give you the same rewards. So when you're cue gets triggered (which you have to recognize and be cognizant of), you do the new routine instead of the old routine.

Of course, playing Pokemon might not actually be your habit. Your habit might be in times of stress (cue), you buy something that reminds of simpler childhood times (routine) in order to get the psychological comfort of childhood (reward). That's just a guess. Your childhood could have been extremely unhappy and you'd want to avoid anything that would remind you of it.

So should you buy a new DS? It depends if you think that particular habit is good for you. If not, form a better habit.

For more info about habits, I recommend the Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have a gameboy color and all the pokemon memory cards are too old so they've stopped being able to save your game. I lost everyone. It was a slaughterhouse. Do not speak to me of pokemon.

I just want to know why ask the INFP's specifically? :p

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'm very emotionally invested in this somehow, suddenly. I imagine you, with your 4.0 and everything, deciding not to get a DS and Pokémon despite your random, nostalgic urge, and then life passing, our civilization ending, new ones rising and falling, finally the sun dying, all life on our planet disappearing, and then the heat death of the universe. And you never got a DS and Pokémon. Please get it. If not for yourself, for me. I would take the money from Savings 1, and then write on a piece of paper that you must return this money as soon as you can, with lots of swear words and threats, and put it somewhere conspicuously. And if you fail to do so, it's a small price to learn that you can't trust yourself in similar cases in the future, knowledge which it's impossible to imagine how much money will eventually save you anyway!

This was amazing. Hahaha I thank you a MILLION times for this. Made me so happy.

I just want to know why ask the INFP's specifically? :p
I love INFPs. I click with them, randomly. I know that usually NFPs and NTPs kinda clash, but for whatever reason, my dearest friends are usually INFPs. Sooooo I trust the type as a majority. Most of the time. Hahahaha.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Oh and by the way...

I bought the DS. It's blue.

And I got Pokemon and Kingdom Hearts games.

:D
I only have 1 question for you since I arrived late to this thread.

Which Pokemon game did you end up buying? =)

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts