Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a recent, really bad reaction to a course of antibiotics (bad digestion and chronic anxiety), I was advised by my doc to take daily probiotics to help heal the effects. It helped alot! After a few days the anxiety began to return to my previous level.

During research into the possible side effects of antibiotics and probiotics, I came across nootropics and supplements in general that promote psychological well being and optimal cognition.

Introductory video to the topic of nootropics...

No I'm kidding, this is the introductory video...

My current 'stack' is...

Vitamin D (Healthy Origins) - Being black and living in the UK, I'm almost certainly deficient. Just started taking it today. (360 days supply for 15 bucks!)

Vitamin B complex (Seven Seas) - Supposed to be relaxing, and good for general health. Only taken them for a few days.

Daily probiotic (Biokult) - Relaxing. There is ongoing research into how probiotics contribute to better moods.

Chelated Magnesium (Dr's Best) - Provided you don't have adrenal fatigue, daily magnesium is supposed to do wonders for relaxation and general health. Just started taking it today.

Other supplements that I've read about that are interesting are;

L Theanine - Concentration and relaxation.

5 HTP - Increases serotonin.

Alpha GPC - Enhances cognition and memory, and amplifies the body's production of Human Growth Hormone.

Lactium - For people who have trouble sleeping, or want to have a deeper sleep.

The european nootropic product called Optineuro seems to be the best all-round nootropic product on the market. Followed by the international brand Alpha Brain.

My experience with antibiotics and probiotics helped me to realize how much nutrition, and deficiency affects psychology. (I was already drinking 1.5l of water daily, and mainly eating whole foods). So thought I'd share it with fellow INFP's.

And I'm wondering if any others here are taking (non-prescription) nootropics or supplements for psychological well being, and improved cognition?

·
Banned
944 Posts
Where's your omega 3 fatty acids? They're essential and your body can't make them. I eat canned wild salmon and also have fish oil capsules to get omega 3. It's good for your brain and a lot of other things in your body. I read that ADD and ADHD may be caused by a lack of omega 3. There used to be a lot of omega 3 in beef, but that went away when they started feeding corn instead of grass to cattle in the 1970's. Now most people get almost no omega 3 in their diet. I originally started using fish oil to help with depression. I haven't been depressed in a long time and I'm sure I'll never be depressed again. My diet was very poor and lacking in nutrition when I was depressed. All I needed to cure myself was a good amount of nutrients in my diet and to become a positive thinker and take control of my life using self help materials.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
15,327 Posts
I take mega doses of vitamin D. I take 1400 mg of fish oil concentrate daily, for brain, eye and cardiovascular health. I take cinnamon, 1000 mg daily for circulatory, heart and supporting sugar metabolism. What will make people happier? Happy thoughts, positive energy and optimism. Sun and lack of dark, cloudy, rainy days is also good. I love sunny days.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I recently started taking St. John's Wort as a mood-booster. It seems to make me less moody, but, as with all drugs/supplements short of those that unmistakably alter consciousness (alcohol, marijuana, etc.), I always wonder if it's simply a placebo effect --- i.e., if I simply feel better because I expect to feel better. But what we eat in general can definitely affect mood, at least in my experience.

·
Banned
944 Posts
I don't trust any studies from the national cancer institute. They're corrupt. The medical & pharmaceutical industries are completely corrupt and only in business to make money, not to benefit the public. They don't like nutritional supplements. They don't like any alternatives to their expensive treatments and drugs. The cancer industry is in the business of killing people for profit. Any wild meat is supposed to be rich in omega 3. It's only factory farmed meat which is low in omega 3. The American medical industry & food industry are in the business of promoting cancer for profit, not curing it. That's why Americans have such a high rate of cancer. If we didn't have such high rates of cancer, the medical industry would lose a lot of money. Oncologists are among the highest paid doctors.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
5 HTP - Increases serotonin.
Try not to break yourself now. 5 HTP and cardiac valves make for some terrible playmates.

Serotonin receptors and heart valve disease--... [Pharmacol Ther. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Still usable, but only if you play right.

This is due to 5-HTP being metabolized by aromatic L-amino acid decarboxylase in the periphery. This leads to elevated peripheral serotonin levels, which can damage heart valves. This is why I keep telling everyone to take EGCG with their 5-HTP. EGCG is an irreversible aromatic L-amino acid decarboxylase inhibitor. This will allow your 5-HTP to pass the blood brain barrier before being converted.
Now that lowers he risk of heart valve issues, but we sill have the lowering of dopamine deal with. Since both L-DOPA and 5-HTP use the same aromatic L-amino acid decarboxylase enzyme, supplementing with one without the other for too long, can cause the respective neurotransmitters to fall. If you supplement 5-HTP too long, eventually your dopamine levels will fall. If you supplement L-DOPA for too long, then your serotonin levels will fall. Since dopamine stores are quicker to replenish, this can be avoided by taking breaks from 5-HTP throughout the week. Taking it every day is not a good thing. You can also supplement L-tyrosine with your 5-HTP. This is the precursor to L-DOPA, and is rate limited by tyrosine hydroxylase. This will allow your body to maintain a balance of neurotransmitters without skewing to one or the other.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Try not to break yourself now. 5 HTP and cardiac valves make for some terrible playmates.

Serotonin receptors and heart valve disease--... [Pharmacol Ther. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI
Thanks.

I personally wouldn't take it - I haven't been depressed since I was 22 - I just found it an interesting, and well talked about supplement.

Also I hope that anyone who is thinking about taking supplements long term does research to gauge the risks, benefits and safe dosages.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I take a whole food vitamin, I never felt a difference taking a traditional multivitamin but I actually feel the difference from these and don't pee the majority of it out. I'm not too solid on the science but its helped me a lot and my mom takes it since I got some for her and because of it doesnt have to take OTC painkillers for body pain and arthritis throughout the day, you never know how better nutrition is going to effect you because some of us live without it for so long. I buy these Amazon.com: Garden of Life Vitamin Code Men's Multivitamin Supplement, 240 Count: Health & Personal Care

I also take huperzine A when I'm doing homework, cramming for an exam or something along those lines with choline which is supposed to stop you from getting headaches. I havent taken it without choline so I can't really say if its necessary or not, but it does help with focus, its more of a occasional study aid then a supplement I take every day because there is some evidence it can cause some unpleasant effects on the brain with regular prolonged use.

I don't know most of the science behind nootropics I just go buy popular consensus among people who do know the science behind it or seem too.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts