Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost a tooth today.

It was a lower molar. And some may find it delirious, (I even considered I might need counseling), but it was hard to come to terms with the fact that I needed it extracted.

I had a beautiful set of teeth. I loved each of them, especially my wisom teeth which were at the far back.

I guess, I did neglect them given my hectic work sched as a nurse that I couldn’t go to a dentist regularly, resulting in the need for an extraction.

I could not afford a root canal, and the dentist I went to did say it was beyond saving (she said this after she pulled it out).

It was hard but I guess I’ll come to terms with the fact that I no longer have this tooth with me. It feels like a part of me died. And well, yes, it’s not a huge part of me—like a limb or an eye, which is why I acknowledge the insignificance of this grieving.

I was even looking for a support group of some sort but couldn’t find one.

I’m thinking no one around me understands me. (Plus, a lot of people are pretty much suffering way more with the economic crises and worst cases death of a loved one. I’m not about to publicly whine or express grief over losing a tooth.)

But since I’m already this way, and still a bit shaking from my tooth extraction experience. (I was nervous and hesitant in my head, although I gave the dentist the ok to remove it), I do feel a little ashamed to be grieving something seemingly insignificant. It feels like I’m a failure for havinga tooth extracted when I’m only in my late twenties.

But at the same time, someone told me that we shouldn’t invalidate our feelings just because it’s not the same as or worser than others’ sufferings.

Have you had a similar experience? Grieving over something that you think other people would find insignificant? Be it a tooth or a sentimental but random/cheap item that you’ve preserved but somehow lost?

This may be more an INFP thing since I feel like and it seems we grow a fondness to inanimate objects. Like, have you ever accidentally apologized to a water bottle for unintentionally hitting it and making it fall? (I haven’t but I had a similar occurence.)

For me, I even wanted to create a private memorial for my tooth—which would be weird. But I opted not to because that would make it more significant and not help me get over it.

It’s funny and weird but at the same time I acknowledge I’m feeling this way for another subconscious reason altogether.

What about you? Any thoughts or would you like to share your story? I please be kind to one another.

I might visit a counselor later just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
INFP 9w1 [964]
376 Posts
@Angel Cat I think I would feel the same if I lost a tooth.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts