Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Archer's Master
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Context:
@Marvin the Dendroid was talking about the world coming to an end in the other thread and that got me into thinking about dinosaurs during their final moments and now I can’t simply drop the idea!

(potential material for a personal project [SUB]heteroglossic poem[/SUB]) *coughs*

So, people, supposing you were dinosaurs or---okay, let’s stick to humans, we’re all humans here, yes? Sure?

[SUB](methinks I’m not but that’s a different topic)
[/SUB]

so back to the question, suppose an asteroid were to hit us now, like you just see this luminous thing in the sky and you just know the world is done for and life is done with you...

What do you think would be your last thoughts, feelings, utterances, actions…
as humans or as dinosaurs or as some other creature (whatever you fancy)

What would be your last something?

As for me:
1. I’d be terrified, text people and say sorry, thank you, I love you. depends on how much time I have
2. do duck, cover, and hold
3. wonder if I’d ever get to open my eyes again, see them, meet them again somewhere, and say hello
4. cry (regret?)

[SUB]me as[/SUB] dinosaur [SUB](purple dinosaur)[/SUB]
I think I would simply be in awe and look at it until I couldn’t anymore.
(@MsBrightside has a wonderful answer about seeking connection with others and grabbing onto someone else)

[SUB]me as [/SUB]tree
“Run, baby, run. Don’t ever look back.” ~~

(sorry if the post is vague. I tried to be clear, promise.)
(that was my first time using spoiler tags. it was so fun! :blushed:)

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Lawnchair, Mojito. Probably some panic in the back of my mind that i'd be trying to shove back down. Regrets aren't a problem, because any regret I have will be irrelevant within an hour or whatever the timespan to apocolypse is here.

Might seem flippant, but if there's nothing I can do to stop it, what else am I supposed to do?

That's assuming this asteroid is headed right at me. If it hits the other side of the world, or even just a few states over, than I better bundle up and get ready for the sun to be blotted out for a few years and prepare for a hellish decade or so. The dinosaurs only died because they were the animals most affected by the resulting ecosystem collapse. Plenty of animals survived that calamity (namely, mammals, like us) so we'll probably pull through, but it'll still be pretty shit.

9,999 Posts
so back to the question, suppose an asteroid were to hit us now, like you just see this luminous thing in the sky and you just know the world is done for and life is done with you...

What do you think would be your last thoughts, feelings, utterances, actions…
as humans or as dinosaurs or as some other creature (whatever you fancy)

What would be your last something?
Death is at the door.
What has it all been for?

I look at my collection
of sellotaped, dog-eared photographs of you
- souvenirs of things I did and did not do.

I wandered through you groping,
touching in the dark
nothing I could see
but like a tree trunk's rough old bark
I felt you on my skin.

Now I'll never know what for...

Death is at the door.

·
Archer's Master
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Weeeell

...... Haha :p...

You wouldn't necessarily have time to have last thoughts if you're talking about the kind of asteroid that I think you're talking about. Which, since you said the 'dinosaurs' last day', you're referring to the Cretaceous-Paleogene Extinction, so you are.

This is an object that would have appeared far bigger and brighter than the sun in the sky. The sun is already impossible to look at directly, so... imagine that times a hundred. Reason behind this being that it's hitting a material atmosphere (from the vacuum of space) at 40,000 mph. Here's a good way to know what it would have looked like, by looking at the (very small) meteor that hit Russia in 2013...

If you notice at 34 seconds, the entire sky is completely blinded by sun-level yellow light. And this was a small meteor. It didn't destroy buildings and stuff (but it did destroy every single window in the area for a distance of 4 miles lol) So take that, and times it by a thousand. It would have been like the sun itself was, all of a sudden (because it's going 40,000 mph), showing up directly overhead... and before you even have time to think "Holy shit, is the sun right above us?", you're dead.

If you were within 26 miles of it, you were immediately vaporized with nothing but a barely visible shadow outlining where you once stood on the ground (shadow composed from the various liquids in our body) If you were within 625 miles of it, then you had, at most, 2 seconds before being immediately vaporized by fire.

The only people to have time to have last thoughts would have been anyone in other parts of the globe, who would have died weeks later due to the chain of events the asteroid's impact started.

Fun fact... while being the most famous and well known extinction causing incident, it is nowhere near the most destructive, or second most destructive (or third, etc, lol)

During the Great Dying, 252 million years ago, 83% of all things died.
Damn, crow, I should've known you'd find your way here and give me some scholarly berating. :crying: (I kinda knew.)
So okay, my premise isn't probably scientifically plausible BUT in those 2 seconds... :unsure:

What if we had...time?
Or okay if you were someone from those areas not immediately vaporized...what would be that last something...?

·
Archer's Master
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Death is at the door.
What has it all been for?

I look at my collection
of sellotaped, dog-eared photographs of you
- souvenirs of things I did and did not do.

I wandered through you groping,
touching in the dark
nothing I could see
but like a tree trunk's rough old bark
I felt you on my skin.

Now I'll never know what for...

Death is at the door.
This is soooooooooooo beautiful. :blushed:

"sellotaped, dog-eared photographs of you
- souvenirs of things I did and did not do"

Ahhhh. Imagine if a refreshing image like this is contextualized within a poem about this certain asteroid hitting the earth. The conflation of time --the past, preserved (as suggested by this imagery), and the now, all this rushing and fading...

It's a difficult project but that would be a very compelling poem. :blushed:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hmm, my initial answer was going to be to strip naked and kneel, arms outstretched, awaiting fate's swift vengeance. Because if we're facing an extinction level event that will occur rather swiftly, I'm not going out clothed. That's just for certain at this point.

Further reflection? I'm sure there'd be some praying, hugging of loved ones, maybe even finding one person in particular and giving them a good old fashioned summer blockbuster style movie kiss. Of course that's all quite stylized, now that I read it back to myself.

Probably the closest to the truth would be I'd disappear, and anyone who wanted to find me would see me sitting with my animals in peaceful silence, keeping them calm and enjoying being together for that briefest of moments before chaos consumed us all. No tears, no grand missives, just my angels and I, doing what we always do, asteroid be damned.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
Actually, I want to buy a gun for in case of an emergency.

If I have a gun during it then I would offer people to shoot them in the head, if they accept then I would kill them. After it's done, I would suicide.

If I have no gun then I would wait for the end. While waiting, I would be sad about humanity because they have so much potential.

What I would do other than these depends on the situation.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
* Expecting to see the missiles in route at any moment, because this is modern times; we have billion-dollar early detection equipment & staff, and all sorts of explodey-thingamabobs at our disposal. At the least it's broken into pieces which reduces the particulate cloud upon impact and shortens the nuclear(non) winter.

Anyway, I'd be headed for my concrete bunker stocked with food supplies, gas power, hydroponic growroom, and plenty of toilet wipes and soap. I'd drag any malleable enough people I found on the way with me.
Since this is an imaginary scenario, I'm entitled to an imaginary reply :)

·
Sharp Cutting Thing
9,678 Posts
Well, there are basically two options here ...

(1) You are in the blast radius, in which case you get incinerated immediately. No time to sit and reflect or anything.
(2) You are not in the blast radius, which means it ain't the meterorite that'll kill you, it's the ensuing nuclear winter. This is no joke. Krakatoa's eruption was strong enough to drop Earth's mean temp by a couple degrees C the ensuing year; earlier that century, a major eruption of Tambora led to the Year Without A Summer, when it was so cold it snowed in July in much of the Northern Hemisphere.

These are small potatoes compared to what the Yellowstone supervolcano can do. Or an asteroid!

Bottom line, I guess, it's not the explodey sky rock of death that'll kill you, unless you're unlucky enough to be directly under it; it's the the cooler temps caused by all the stuff the explodey sky rock of death kicked up into the atmosphere, which'd caused massive and widespread crop failure and famine, that'd kill you. Fossil evidence suggests that what really killed the dinosaurs was plant failure caused by the Chicxulub impact -- the herbivores starved to death, soon followed by the dedicated carnivores that fed on them, much as how an extinction of wildebeest would inevitably lead to one of lions as well.

·
Banned
3,147 Posts
Actually, I want to buy a gun for in case of an emergency.

If I have a gun during it then I would offer people to shoot them in the head, if they accept then I would kill them. After it's done, I would suicide.

If I have no gun then I would wait for the end. While waiting, I would be sad about humanity because they have so much potential.

What I would do other than these depends on the situation.
There was a news piece that was done not too long ago about a town that required its residents to legally purchase guns and unsurprisingly it has the lowest crime rates in the nation.

·
Archer's Master
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmm, my initial answer was going to be to strip naked and kneel, arms outstretched, awaiting fate's swift vengeance. Because if we're facing an extinction level event that will occur rather swiftly, I'm not going out clothed. That's just for certain at this point.

Further reflection? I'm sure there'd be some praying, hugging of loved ones, maybe even finding one person in particular and giving them a good old fashioned summer blockbuster style movie kiss. Of course that's all quite stylized, now that I read it back to myself.

Probably the closest to the truth would be I'd disappear, and anyone who wanted to find me would see me sitting with my animals in peaceful silence, keeping them calm and enjoying being together for that briefest of moments before chaos consumed us all. No tears, no grand missives, just my angels and I, doing what we always do, asteroid be damned.
brb crying :blushed:

to be to strip naked and kneel, arms outstretched, awaiting fate's swift vengeance. Because if we're facing an extinction level event that will occur rather swiftly, I'm not going out clothed.
But I'd keep this in mind. This would be like the last fun(?) thing I could do before getting obliterated lol :cool:

Reactions: Igor
1,417 Posts
Considering the mood I'm in at the moment...I'd stand in the middle of the street, preferably I'm within the blast radius, stand there with my arms outstretched and wait patiently to get obliterated...No hugging loved ones, no screaming and wailing in fear. The end has come, and since I'm more dead than alive anyway it's about time my body joined my spirit...

Yes Nihilism at it's finest...Or depression. However I'm sick of humanity, and I'm sick of what they are capable of. About time the human race got obliterated, all we do is use one another and fuck each other over constantly anyway. Not to mention kill one another and hate anything we don't understand and ostracize anyone who doesn't conform...Maybe a new race will take our place eventually, one that's actually worth a damn.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Assuming I have enough time to do all these things:
1) I would try to make a mental recap of my life, think of all the moments I lived, my mistakes and what I have improved, I would try to understand what my contribution in the world has been, if I am satisfied, if I have regrets...
2) I would say goodbye the people I love;
3) Probably my last expression would be a smile with tears;
4) When the asteroid is close to hitting me I would probably downplay the situation with a joke, like "Hey, from a distance [the asteroid] seemed nicer", I would like to live my last minutes in joy.

If I were a dinosaur:
I would eat something or look at the sky confused about what's happening.

If I were a tree:
I would probably shake the leaves off my branches xD

·
Banned
INFP 9w1 sp/so
2,470 Posts
Realistically I'd probably go into a quiet panic and not do anything for fear that I wouldn't have enough time to do the things I want to do and leave them unfinished. I'd hope people contact me to say their goodbyes so that I have an excuse to do the same to them. Knowing me even staring death in the face I'd probably be too self-conscious to be the one to initiate the goodbye-ing.

Then I'd find some way to convince myself that there's a chance I could survive the event, and maybe find a place nearby that'd be safer than anywhere else to remain and try to get my loved ones over to me or at least somewhere similarly safe, then just wait nervously for it all to blow over in the hopes that we survive.

I've decided recently that I'd want to go out listening to my favourite song from the Final Fantasy VIII soundtrack. Weird I know, but the game has meant a lot to me through life so I'd probably stick my earphones in when it starts getting dangerously close. Go out experiencing the thing dearest to my heart.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
hmmm. if an asteroid hit the earth.. i suppose i would lay on my back in the grass and close my eyes. if i was with someone hopefully they would do the same and we could hold hands. and like pray and shit. our father probably. and then after awhile, if i was still alive, i'd probably go home and barricade the doors and just like cuddle and stuff until we all died. maybe read or write some poems or something if there was time to pass. if i was alone, then i'd probably head to a somewhere people were gathered to find some companionship.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts