Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Feel like I was an 8w9 for years before. Years before those years, I was a wing 7. Was my conquest to dominate my environment throughout grade school. Being captain of the wrestling team really got to my head. Saw myself as the protector of groups of people that were loyal to me and the mobilizer of whatever needed to get done in the social jungle. People would come to me to confide in me or ask me to make things happen for them.

Got in a huge argument with the parents when I was 16 and left home. Turned more wing 9 for many many years after that. Had to be self-sufficient, couldn't afford to run the school. Created a close-knit familial environment with a select few and felt less of a need to put myself out there. Much calmer, more accepting.

Not sure what the trigger was last few months but got tired of feeling asleep. Feel more edgy, wired, putting myself out there more, striking deals, making things happen. Only feel the pull from 7 more and more as days go by.

Have you had a wing swapping experience? Or am I off my rocker

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
wish i could help unfuck your head man... my teacher's got me all twisted up this week too... i was so sure for so many years but shes somehow causing me to doubt myself... which in turn has me borderline accepting i may be a 3w4 instead. all the behaviors line up with 8 but... maybe ive gotten so good at containing my anger, im afraid to let it out and embarass myself. when she accuses me of being not what i say i am... it enrages me, but when i hear her soft lil old lady voice... it makes me sad, and i feel bad that i want to chew out someone who says she isnt trying to hurt me. i feel shame and embarrassment for the first time in who knows how long
one thing's for sure.. i have social instinct primary.. im not sure how this would affect anything in terms of 'being comfortable' in my anger.
has my entire life been a lie? FML... head shit is the worst!!

for the past several years, i saw my w9 as resistance to the w7. i didnt want to be the aggressive ape that has no control over his temper... so i was pleased that i was usually able to make the conscious choice to contain myself... the temptation to be on the offense is there, but i choose to play defense.. only really needing to go red if some of my people are threatened. is it the same for you?

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
I don't think what you're describing is a shift in wings. More likely a move towards five under stress.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Feel like I was an 8w9 for years before. Years before those years, I was a wing 7. Was my conquest to dominate my environment throughout grade school. Being captain of the wrestling team really got to my head. Saw myself as the protector of groups of people that were loyal to me and the mobilizer of whatever needed to get done in the social jungle. People would come to me to confide in me or ask me to make things happen for them.

Got in a huge argument with the parents when I was 16 and left home. Turned more wing 9 for many many years after that. Had to be self-sufficient, couldn't afford to run the school. Created a close-knit familial environment with a select few and felt less of a need to put myself out there. Much calmer, more accepting.

Not sure what the trigger was last few months but got tired of feeling asleep. Feel more edgy, wired, putting myself out there more, striking deals, making things happen. Only feel the pull from 7 more and more as days go by.

Have you had a wing swapping experience? Or am I off my rocker
I have read that personality isn't fully formed until around age 30, and there is evidence that the brain is still developing until about 25 (but neoroplasticity suggests that it continues to develop after that, just to a lesser degree). Since the wings serve as secondary coping mechanism, taking some of the pressure off the primary coping mechanism, it would not be outrageous to experiment with both wings at some point throughout development.

But I think @Coburn may be right. In the face of trauma and stress, we tend to retreat back to our point of disintegration. Now that you are safer, you're able to have a healthier expression of both your primary and secondary coping mechanisms. So basically, watch how you act when things are a bit more stable.

I was one of those 8w7s who exploded like a supernova, and collapsed in on himself. It's possible that while recovering, I was exploring nineish behaviors, because the 7ish ones had caused so many problems in the past, but like you said, I get tired of feeling sleepy. When I started doing taijiquan, I did it 7 days a week, and I ended up feeling like I was on valium, which I hated. So part of eventually settling on a identity is figuring out what behaviors feel right to you. Now I just use taijiquan to mellow me, and encourage me to slow down a little.

So now that things are a little more stable, keep an eye out for what you do. It took me until my 30s to be find a moderately healthy expression of myself, and that's because I tried different stuff, and found that I didn't like any of it. It turned out that the last time I was stable was when I was a wrestler, so I just went back to training like a wrestler, but mellowing it to suit my age and various injuries. My thoughts are that when you find what works for you, whatever it is, that you can make sustainable, that's probably going to be the more consistent expression of your personality.

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
As I get older, and life is good, I find myself more 9ish then 7ish. Or maybe I'm doing more 2 stuff.

Probably more 2 stuff.

Also, I think integration allows me to do the healhy stuff from 2, 8, and 5. Think of the skill as a swiss armyknife - when I come to a situation I have the skills available to me to approach the issue most effectively.
Empathy would help? 2. Research needed? 5. Nuclear holocaust is apppropriate?? FLAME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts