Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

My cat has swollen nipples and she's getting fat. I am guessing that she is pregnant. She stopped being agressive and is digging into my closet for a warm snuggly place.

Alright.

What now? Do I need to get a scissor and cut the rope-thing when the kitties get out? How should I handle this? I am responsible for my cat and I don't know how to properly prepare for this wonderful upcoming event. Anyone got any experience with this?

I don't want to fuck things up.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
The cat will handle her birthing on her own. She'll bit the umbilical cord and clean up the placenta. You don't have to do a thing. Just let her be in the place she chooses and put a blanket down for her. If you try and interfere, she might not take to the kittens right away and you'll have to hand-raise the whole bunch. Best to let her do what instinct tells her to. :)

·
THE IRON GIANT
10,129 Posts
Just make sure she has a warm clean space to birth the kittens and keep an eye on her. You might want to get some newspaper underneath. Unless there's some kind of complication, which is extremely unlikely, you shouldn't need to do anything. She's designed to do this and would do it fine under a bridge somewhere, so your closet is probably pretty ideal.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
If your cat has an issue during birth, she will let you know. They usually do. If you know your cat fairly well, you will be able to intuit that she is trying to get your attention more than normal. Someone already mentioned that she needs a warm clean space -- I will add -safe-. Kitty needs to feel safe. They tend to prefer closets for this reason, because its out of high traffic areas. Mother kitty will become more vigilant about her surroundings to make sure there are no threats. And though she trusts the family, she still wants her litter to be tucked away out of sight. Typically they will choose their spot. You may see her investigating a place frequently.. if its a cozy little corner, or back of a closet, thats probably where shes chosen. If you have any old clothing or fabrics, place some down there for her.

They already mentioned that kitty will eat the goodies, so no help required. : P

If she comes up to you miaowing repeatedly, this is most likely help shes asking for. Rarely but sometimes a kitty has trouble delivering her kittens and a vets assistance is required. But like I said, this is rare.. I have seen it happen once and I have seen cats give birth to litters of kittens in multitudes for most of my life.

So yeah.. just make sure you accommodate her, and have her some food and water not too far from where the lil kitteh nest is.. especially water close by, for the first coupla days that shes nursing/cleaning them. Shes going to be exhausted and dehydrated from the birth.

Don't touch the kittens. The mother's bond with the kittens depends on smell. If your smell obscures her scent, sometimes it can make them push a kitten out of the litter. If you absolutely need to redirect a squirmy kitten back to his mother, then do it as delicately as possible, and just relocate him where he needs to be.. no carrying around and such until they are a little older.

Their eyes won't be open for a while, and sometimes they will crawl away a bit but usually the mother will pick them up by the back of their necks to carry them back.

If you need any advice on anything I may have missed about this, when it comes up, PM me. I will be more than happy to help out. I love kittehs. :3

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Yes... Definitely don't try to touch the kittens the first few days after their birth. After the birth takes place you can reach out and stroke the mother cat, but she will be too busy with her babies to respond to you. However, she will like having your voice nearby and knowing that someone has an eye on her while she's going through this.

I have unfortunately seen too many kittens killed by their mother for many different reasons. Sometimes the mother kills the kittens if she thinks they have a birth defect or will not make it. Other times, new mothers are nervous and skittish with their first litter. I hand raised a little day-old baby for ten days as he and his siblings were abandoned by the mother, but she came back for him and killed him in front of my door and ATE him!! I have never been so heartbroken in my life. :sad:

I hope your kittens and cat are healthy and happy, and there's no reason they shouldn't be. Just try to keep out of the way as much as possible, because cats don't like to be fussed over. That's honestly the best advice anyone can give at this point. You can message me if you have more questions about cats or dogs. I'm always willing to answer, having helped bring up many kittens and puppies throughout my life.

Reactions: sly

·
Banned
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys! great responses, I was googling about this...but all the crap that came up required me to buy their books...not one site mentioned that they usually handle themselves well..

Oh and congrats on the ranks :) Both of you deserve it.

Misleading title.. damnit

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
I had only joked because others adequately answered your question, sorry if it seemed insensitive? I really should stop apologizing for things.. Anyways it seems like the polite thing to say, text is such a lacking method of conveying meaning

and congrats on being the proud owner of kittens

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I had only joked because others adequately answered your question, sorry if it seemed insensitive? I really should stop apologizing for things.. Anyways it seems like the polite thing to say, text is such a lacking method of conveying meaning
Aw I'm sure @sly gets it. Why do you think I opened the thread in the first place? :tongue: Luckily I happened to know a thing or two about swollen female nipples. Glad I could help, sly, and congrats. :happy:

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Aw I'm sure @sly gets it. Why do you think I opened the thread in the first place? :tongue: Luckily I happened to know a thing or two about swollen female nipples. Glad I could help, sly, and congrats. :happy:
well why stop now? please share

Reactions: Dashing
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.