Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do you ever have awkward one-on-one moments irl? Do you get tongue-tied? If so, why? Have you ever wished you would've said something that you didn't? Are you really candid with someone from the get-go, or do you have to warm up to them first?

·
Faceless
7,169 Posts
Hmmm. I have been told that sometimes in one on one interactions, I can have a sense of "hyperfocus" on the other person if I find them really fascinating. Otherwise, I don't really have many of those moments when I say something I wish I hadn't, unless I ended up crossing some unspoken boundary or something.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I tend to be pretty good at 1 to 1 conversations, even with people I've only just met minutes ago. I can't say I ever felt that I "wished you would've said something that you didn't?"

It's the group dynamics that I have more trouble with. Big groups of people, mostly big groups involving people I have only just met. That is where I find things to be a little more difficult/awkward.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I agree with lots of the bits that @Splash Shin mentioned in his post.

For me, I tend to do really well in one-on-one dialogue (sometimes also in very small groups of 3 or 4 as well). I have been told by others that I am "easy to talk to", and because I wear my heart on my sleeve and I'm willing to act a fool, I think most others are willing to jump into the conversation deep-end with me. :)

Occasionally, I will struggle with one-on-one dialogue with a strong SO-first or someone lacking an SX instinct, but I can usually hold my own, and facilitate a nice dialogue.

I have never wished I had said something that I didn't, but I say plenty of things I wish I hadn't! Ha Ha. I think part of that is being a type 7 (we tend to be quite unrestricted with what tumbles out of our mouths XD). For me, the cost is always worth making sure you have no regrets, and that others understand who I am and how I feel about them (which is usually positive). This can lead me towards a lot of SO-instinct blunders without even realizing it until I see the look on someone's face (I still don't know what I did wrong, but I understand from their expression that it was something in their SO-instinct mind).

I never get tongue-tied, in fact, sometimes the opposite happens where I panic, and blurt out the first thing that comes to mind, just so I can have a continuous flow of dialogue.

I don't fare as well in medium-to-large group situations. There tends to be a hierarchy, more impersonal conversation, and unspoken rules, all of which I have no clue about (nor have I bothered paying attention to or learning; it's definitely an art- an art that feels without it's merits to me).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Do you ever have awkward one-on-one moments irl? Do you get tongue-tied? If so, why? Have you ever wished you would've said something that you didn't? Are you really candid with someone from the get-go, or do you have to warm up to them first?
Are you the guy from the enneagram institute boards who creates loads of threads asking about sx firsts and seconds? Jules something?

Speaking as an sx first, I used to have lots of awkward moments in my conversations and lots of regrets from things i've said. These days they are fewer and fewer. I was definitely no better conversationalist than any sx-last type i'm friends with. I used to be a lot worse but this is an area i've worked on self-improvement wise, and now i'm pretty decent, although can lack the will/motivation to engage in small talk and group talk. I'm much better 1-on-1 with someone i relate to and connect with.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have really pronounced social anxiety and am awful at conversation, which I don't believe has anything to do with type. I'm sure I'd be a good conversationalist if I could get past the nerves, as I find people interesting and while I can't ever bring myself to socialize, I'd ask all the right questions if I could.

When I do end up in a conversation, I don't reveal much of myself, I think. I find out as much about them as I can before I open up myself.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I have really pronounced social anxiety and am awful at conversation, which I don't believe has anything to do with type. I'm sure I'd be a good conversationalist if I could get past the nerves, as I find people interesting and while I can't ever bring myself to socialize, I'd ask all the right questions if I could.

When I do end up in a conversation, I don't reveal much of myself, I think. I find out as much about them as I can before I open up myself.
Have you ever tried just constantly talking to people?

·
Registered
270 Posts

I'm pretty good at irl one-on-one conversations as well. I've been told that I'm a favorite to talk to. I don't get tongue tied, I take pauses, enjoy the company, and delve into deeper topics.

If it's an extravert, I'm candid from the get-go. Skip the small talk, let's do this. If introvert though, and I know that they'll be hesitant to share much, I'll ease in with generic topics.

I just literally approach and charm my way to deeper conversations that'll make everything much more interesting.

Group interaction isn't much of a problem for me. I excel at the banter and the easy flowing talk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.