Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was going to post this in the SX Confessions thread but it seems to be closed. Maybe the forum needs a general Sx thread.

Went through these talks and pulled out the material on Sx for each type. Some types didn't have much.

General Sx

-More plumage than the other instincts.
-Having the best plumage.
-Energy leaking through the eyes.

1 Sx - Jealousy

Anger in the sexual arena, anger that someone will spoil our perfect union.

-Unconsciously notice other people coming on to their partner.

General 1:
-Can flip between purity, debauchery.
-Superego soluble in alcohol, can cause flip to dark side.
-Wear clothes as uniforms.
-Often helmet hairstyle.

Person:
John Lennon - Great antiwar statement getting into bed with Yoko Ono on television.
Prince Charles
Emma Thompson - Always good pure characters.
Kevin Kline
Martin Luther King
Dianne Feinstein

Character:
Jean-Luc Picard

Activity:
Nudist nature clubs

Film:
Fanny and Alexander

Culture:
Sweden

2 Sx - Seduction of the Throne

The seductress or seductor.

-Moves into room, sees where power is, seduces it.
-Sense that love is a melting of resistance, boring once melted, moves on.

Person:
Elisabeth Shue
Geena Davis
Marvin Gaye
Fawn Hall
Elvis Presley
Liv Ullmann
Ursula Andress

Character:
Jessica Rabbit

Community:
Rock groupie
Sport groupie

Film:
Leaving Las Vegas
Accidental Tourist

Culture:
Thailand - Sex capital of the world. Massage capital.

3 Sx - Having the Look

Being the perfect male or the perfect female.

-Being the ideal man or the ideal woman.

Person:
Werner Erhard - After major spiritual insight sets up multimillion dollar corporation.
Paul Newman

4 Sx

-Most unique style.
-Dressing style unique but very spottable, stands out in room.
-Competition with partner, always trying to one up.

Person:
Charlie Chaplin
Robert Downey Jr.
Val Kilmer
Marlon Brando

Film:
Don Juan DeMarco

Culture:
Italy

5 Sx - Confidence

Sense of own lovability.

-Confidence in being a man or being a woman.
-Ability to be great actors and actresses, can put on mask of other roles.
-Can be performer, protected by veil of persona, mask of the role.

Person:
Meryl Streep
Glenn Close
William Hurt
Ben Kingsley

6 Sx - Strength & Beauty

Being strong and/or beautiful.

-If I'm strong enough I'll make it.
-If I'm beautiful enough I'll make it.
-Rock climbing, other dangerous activities.
-Fear more deeply hidden, identify as every other fixation.
-Strength has tough attitude, I can handle it, I'm buffed.
-Beauty looks 3ish or 4ish.

General 6:
-Instinctual subtypes most radically different of any type.
-Mentally working on the body as an instrument of the mind.

Person:
Arnold Schwarzenegger - Strength.
Sylvester Stallone - Strength.
Brigitte Nielsen - Strength.
Grace Jones
Madonna - Sexuality counterphobic to sexual terror.
Jane Fonda - Beauty. Looks like 4 but more nervous, mannered.
Sharon Stone - Beauty. Looks like 3 but without juice, less smooth, tougher, harder edge.

Activity:
Rock climbing
Bullfighting - Beautiful man in tight pants facing death. Dances with death.
Skydiving
Flamenco

Culture:
Spain

7 Sx - Suggestibility

Cosmic traveler.

-Very hard to settle down.
-Very hard to have long term relationship.
-Like having attention span of chicken, loyalty of snake.
-As long as it's bright and shiny we can have a great time.
-As soon as it gets a little dull or cloudy, attracted to somewhere brighter.
-Lives in fantasy of perfect future, always chasing it.

Person:
Tim Leary

8 Sx - Possession/Surrender

-Smoothest of the subtypes.
-Charismatic sexual eyes.

Possession:
-Being so overwhelming in taking care of that you consume your beloved.
-Consumes beloved so thoroughly that there's no separation.
-Trying to be union of 9, turns melting together into consuming the other.
-You become a part of me by my complete taking you over.

Surrender:
-Looking for someone strong enough that you can actually surrender to.

Person:
Al Pacino
Jack Nicholson
Jimmy Swaggart - Puritan variant.
Jerry Lee Lewis - Hedonist variant.
Oprah Winfrey

Film:
Once Were Warriors

Culture:
Māori

9 Sx - Union

An attempt to melt into the beloved, to become one with the beloved, to lose boundaries.

-Eats off partner's plate without noticing.
-Boundaries lost, everything melted together. More comfortable that way.
-Two Sx 9s melted into each other like two silly putties melted together.
-Juicier, softer, rounder, more eye leakage, more appealing.

Person:
Willie Nelson
Nat King Cole
Captain Kangaroo
Jerry Garcia

Culture:
Austria - Comfort. Hanging out in cafe all day. Schmoozing.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Under Person, does that actually mean their type? What's that source?

Sure are a lot of typings far off from general agreement.

For example, Type 1:
John Lennon - seen him at 5 and 6w5 never 1, sx yes
Kevin Kline - seen him at 7
Martin Luther King, Jr. - seen him at 8, social not sx

A lot of type 3 put under type 6 as well.

Not sure that this post has to do with the sx instinct. Looks more like the sx subtypes. Difference is the sx instinct stands without reference to type and sx subtype describes a variation of type not the instinct itself.

Appreciate the effort but not sure what to make of it. This is the reason I don't personally use subtypes. They can often create a seemingly different typing system.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Adding a few thoughts for Sx 5s. Got this of some podcast of which link I've since long forgotten.

The Sx 5 is the "countertype".

Countertype for a 5 is what counter-phobic is for a 6.
So the idea behind the countertypes is that the focus of attention of all of the 9 types goes against the focus of the passion.
In a way, it goes the opposite direction of what you'd expect of a 5.

-Sx 5 experiences more feelings, but doesn't always share them.
Has a bigger interest in the arts. A big romantic streak. They may express their romantic streak through art, or by other means.

- Sx 5's have more of a need for intimacy under the right condition.
They are always looking for the right person that they can trust and open up to.
It can be multiple people and not just one person. An Sx 5 is looking for totally merging with their partner; "explore the partners soul".

- Avarice: Seeking the ultimate in relationship for the Sx 5. Total idealization of the romantic partner, or even a close friend. The connection.
Can be with a friend, a teacher, however a romantic partner will always be that special one.

The Sx five doesn't always open themselves up to everyone because they're kind of guarded, they are selective.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
He's got great ideas about type, but yeah, his type examples are way off. Just ignore those, they are a minor part of his talks anyway. The stuff that he talks about in regards to Enneagram types is still very valuable regardless!

(Speaking for myself, his 6 talk has been incredibly enlightening for me!)

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sundry descriptions of Sx, including contrasts with the other instincts. It's variously called sexual, one-on-one, attraction,

Post from @Dare

if given choice/free time do they tend to focus on self, their 'one' or the group? And what's 'payday' to them: survival/security (sp), intimacy/becoming 'one' (sx) or group recognition/fulfillment (soc).

Post from @enneathusiast

SP - I don't want to lose myself to anyone else therefore I maintain boundaries around my personal space.
SX - I want to lose myself in a deep or intense connection to someone or something.
SO - I want to lose myself in a culture or circle of friends, something larger than myself where I can participate and belong.

Post from @tanstaafl28

So - I'll survive better if I cooperate within a group
Sp - I'll survive better if I make a nice, safe, comfortable, nest (and stock it up)
Sx - I'll survive better if I concentrate all my energy on one other person at a time

Enneagram Monthly

Sexual (SX):
• Vibrating out there, looking for a mate; peacock displaying his feathers, deer locking antlers
• Susceptibility to states of intoxication, tripping
• Schizoid disposition (split between affect and intellect, invalidating one with the other)
• Lightness, playfulness
• Curious, seeking, searching
• Often has shiny, leaky eyes (leaking the high energy of sexuality)
• Not about orgasm (which one can have alone) but about letting go, dropping barriers, intimacy, closeness, union through revealing/denuding oneself
• Madonna or whore, abstinent or promiscuous
• Frigid or impotent, unusual sexual preferences
• Crime of passion
• Least likely to become famous (SP goes for immortality, SO intent on glory; SX has other things to do)

Enneagram Institute

The key element in Sexual types is an intense drive for stimulation and a constant awareness of the “chemistry” between themselves and others. Sexual types are immediately aware of the attraction, or lack thereof, between themselves and other people.

They are the most “energized” of the three instinctual types, and tend to be more aggressive, competitive, charged, and emotionally intense than the Self-Pres or Social types. Sexual types need to have intense energetic charge in their primary relationships or else they remain unsatisfied.

The Narrative Enneagram

Self-preservation – responding to perceived threats and needs
Social – creating social structures within communities
One-to-one – primary relationships or coupling

Enneagram Explorations

The "sexual" Instinctual Subtypes are driven by the ongoing search for intimacy and one-to-one relationships. The focus of attention is on "the beloved" and "our intimate world." The primary desire is for a mate, which is manifested by an imbalanced perceived need for wholeness, affinity, and closeness in a continual search for "the other half."

The energy projected is described as "high energy" and is often experienced as "intense" and laser-like, appearing to be intently focused, and is usually playful and light, yet penetrating in nature. There is a sense of energy and vibration, the search for the mate, the need to display their strength and beauty, like the peacock showing its feathers or, in some manner, acting out the mating ritual or dance.

Enneagram Universe

The sexual survival instinct is the instinct of attraction and seduction. Beyond the physical drive to actually have sex, this instinct is the drive to attract sex. As a species, mating is a means of keeping the human race alive.

The sexual instinct seeks to be aroused and also illicit that response in others. It wishes to be energetically “turned-on” by people/things. SX-doms tend to be a slave to the things that arouse them, moving intensely toward these things in the manner of a drug addiction.

Eclectic Energies

People of the sexual variant are very much interested in one to one contacts. They are looking for intimacy and this may show in sexuality, though not necessarily. Being in a relationship is very important to them. They are the most passionate of the subtypes, being temperamental and having more energy. They have less of a problem with getting into a fight and care less about rules and responsibility.

53sundays

The sexual instinct is about a personal magnetism or "magic" / mojo, that helps humans 'fascinate' and intrigue other things, and magnetise the right people/places things to it. It's about an intelligence around what to develop in order to bewitch, ensnare and cast a spell over objects that "light you up". So a sexual type has an intelligence around what most "lights it up".

slike

Long post with descriptions from many different people.

sx is like blood, sp like earth, and social like air.

Soc = air & sunlight, wind, atmosphere
Sx = fire, electricity, lightening, ignition
Sp = earth, ground, dust, coal

Soc = 'active masculine' - Apollo
Sx = 'active feminine' - Venus/Dionysus
Sp = neutral (contained/solipsistic)

sp=childhood, this is when we need resources to grow and feel protected
sx=late teens/adulthood, this is when we link to others and create our own families
soc=mature age, once our own children have grown up we engage in the wider social issues of our community

Sp-first - identify with being reclusive
Sx-first - identify with being emotionally intense
So-first - identify with being socially adaptive

Sp last - messy, scattered
So last - dirty, uncouth
Sx last - clean, parched

Sexual: Union with the divine; ecstatic communion; possession, channeling, transformation. Merging with God. Mystics, dervishes.
Social: Collective consciousness; universal harmony; higher purpose (greater good). Cooperating with/serving God. Crusaders, enlighteners.
Self-preservation: Sacred spaces (holy ground); protective wards; purity versus contamination. Housing God (body as a temple), self-as-God. Ascetics, wardens, (healers?).

sp: arranging life in a way that provides a foundation for spiritual practice and supports what is real in you
sx: "flame", fire for truth/the beloved, "nothing will stop me from moving ahead" spiritually
soc: serving life, taking our place in the big plan. realization that "this isn't about me" - it's about what I give myself to / "we're all in this together"

Experience Life

Sexual

Focused on creating and maintaining a powerful sense of “sizzle” through intense, intimate interactions and experiences.

Priorities: Intimacy, connection, excitement

Characteristics: Healthy sexual types will often have deep passions, and they aren’t afraid to try new things. The instinct drives them to create truly intimate connections with those they love and to connect with love itself, says Redmond. These types are more in search of chemistry than the sexual act, though they do seek an especially powerful connection with their intimate partners.

Weaknesses: Sexual types practice an exploratory approach to life that can lead to a lack of focus, as well as neediness and promiscuity.

oceanmoonshine9

The sexual instinct focuses on attraction and excitement, or, what, apart from the self, seems to promise to expand and intensify life. The life of the self is found in the life of the other.

Sexual subtypes generally have romantic longings for the ideal partner and hence have high expectations and ideals. By extension, the sexual instinct can manifest in a desire for intensity of many different sorts, but the primary manifestation will generally be a concern with finding the ideal partner, as the sexual subtypes tend to feel somehow incomplete or unfinished without a relationship to ground them.

Sexual subtypes often bring a certain passion and experimentalism to their lives; they are generally willing to take risks in order to attain their ideals. [..] The desire for intensity of experience can lead sexual subtypes to take unnecessary risks, to be somewhat impatient and to grow bored or frustrated with mundane reality.

Insightful Innovations

Sexual/Intimate Subtype:

The Sexual subtype is focused primarily on pair bonding and the development and maintenece of the intimiate relationships in their lives. The foci of the sexual subtype includes:

Attractiveness Intimacy Intensity Connection Posessiveness Glamour Eye Contact Relationship Desire Sex (or abstaining from sex) Excitement Beauty Mating

The focus is on the dyad as opposed to the group or the self.

Sexual subtypes are passionate, intense, and magnetic but can also be erratic, possessive and controlling of their partners. They may seem engaging and playful or moody and dramatic.

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Something I proposed as possible examples of Sx turned toward creative pursuits. Once in a while it gets mentioned that it can be channeled this way. So curious about this variation, if anyone has other information or thoughts.

Archimedes was known for becoming completely engrossed in what he was working on.

Archimedes would forget his food and neglect his person, to that degree that when he was occasionally carried by absolute violence to bathe or have his body anointed, he used to trace geometrical figures in the ashes of the fire, and diagrams in the oil on his body, being in a state of entire preoccupation with his love and delight in science.
Archimedes, having fixed his mind upon working out some problem, never noticed the incursions of the Romans, nor that the city was taken.
Newton had a similar reputation.

There are descriptions from the time of Isaac sitting at his desk writing away in the evening and the candles are high. Someone comes back and sees him in the morning. He hasn't moved. He's still writing, but the candles have burned low. He forgot to sleep; he forgot to eat.
I never knew him to take any recreation or pastime, either in riding out to take the air, walking, bowling, or any other exercise whatever, thinking all hours lost that were not spent in his studies.
I propose these are examples of Sx applied to creative work. Maybe Sx/Sp specifically.

This is the kind of profound devotion to 1 thing I think people are getting at when they talk about Sx. Newton behaved this way for years straight. Archimedes maybe for longer. It's this persistent sense of I'm giving Every Single Piece Of Myself, Every Single Moment, to This One Thing. Nonstop, for an extended period. You fall asleep thinking about it. You wake up thinking about it. You're walking down the road, you're thinking about it. Everything else is secondary. Eating, sleeping, making sure you look presentable. Keeping up contact with people isn't even on the radar. You're chasing that dragon. Nothing Else Matters.

It is as if they constantly set themselves on fire.
[HR][/HR]

I think Beautiful Mind is a depiction of this kind of pattern. Obsessive and ecstatic engrossment in a solo pursuit.

In Person of Interest, Root has to be Sx. This is kind of an interesting one because it's a project yet also merging with another being.

[HR][/HR]

I think pure mathematicians are often Sx. There are lots of great quotes about the experience of doing mathematics. These pursuits typically don't have physical applications right away. And there's really not much in the way of prestige for mathematicians. Most people will see you as pretty damn weird. You really need to have an intense internal reward to motivate decades straight doing this kind of thing.

It is the desire for truth and the response to the beauty and elegance of mathematics that drives mathematicians.
In the broad light of day mathematicians check their equations and their proofs, leaving no stone unturned in their search for rigour. But, at night, under the full moon, they dream, they float among the stars and wonder at the miracle of the heavens. They are inspired. Without dreams there is no art, no mathematics, no life.
Mathematics possesses not only supreme truth but supreme beauty -- a beauty cold and austere, like that of a sculpture, without appeal to any part of our weaker nature, without the gorgeous trappings of painting or music, yet sublimely pure, and capable of a stern perfection such as only the greatest art can show.
In this effort toward logical beauty spiritual formulas are discovered necessary for the deeper penetration into the laws of nature.
To do mathematics is to engage in an act of discovery and conjecture, intuition and inspiration; to be in a state of confusion; to be awed and overwhelmed by an almost painful beauty; to be alive, damn it.
Certainly the best times were when I was alone with mathematics, free of ambition and pretense, and indifferent to the world.
The impulse to unify runs deep in the souls of mathematicians.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
5 Sx - Confidence -- Confidence in being a man or being a woman
5 sx: "Confidence"
...Looking to trust in another - the one that will be with you and for you no matter what, beyond the level of marriage vows. Romantic... The name reflects their need to find a partner who fulfills an ideal of trust. [Naranjo]

Enneagram - Claudio Naranjo's Lectures on Instinctual Subtypes / Instinct Variants

-Ability to be great actors and actresses, can put on mask of other roles.
-Can be performer, protected by veil of persona, mask of the role.
I assume this is alluding to the other name for this type: "secret agent". The characters I relate to (INTJ 5 sx) enjoy a little subterfuge:
-'The Woman' (original) from Sherlock Holmes
-Jane Smith (Mr & Mrs Smith, 2005)
-Root (Person of Interest -- as you've already mentioned)
---> what better way to combine the non attached observer with intensity/depth. This also relates to OceanMoonshine's ideas about sx risk taking and intolerance towards "mundane reality".

image.jpg

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Does anyone have an idea of the difference between Sx/Sp and Sx/So?
From: https://oceanmoonshine9.wordpress.com/type-stackings/
sx/sp
This is perhaps the most internally conflicted of the stackings, and potentially the most inconsistent in behavior. This may occur as a blockage of the sexual instinct which can be redirected as a more generally brooding and troubled personality. They may isolate themselves for long periods of time before reemerging. They live according to a strictly personal outlook and are not particularly concerned with the approval of others outside of their immediate concern. They seem to be searching for something, the missing piece. If they find a soulmate they will unite without fanfare, forming a secret bond, dealing with formalities as an afterthought. Powerful sexual impulses facing inner resistance may manifest symbolically in the psyche, giving way to soulful interpretations of the unconscious. Under periods of stress severe sexual tensions may manifest as erratic, impulsively destructive behavior. Can seem restless, torn between the comforts of a stable home life and the urge to wander. May be prone to self-medicating.
Motivation: to know the heart, reconcile inner conflict, form a secure union.
Familiar roles: the devotee, the seeker, the wanderer

sx/so
This is the type that exudes the most raw charisma and sexual energy. They may identify so strongly with whatever they’re involved with that they often become the symbol of its core essence, and sometimes its lead agent for change. Hardly content with the status quo, this subvariant seeks to alter the fundamental structure of something while at once embodying it’s purest or most extreme form. Possibly attracted to radical views on politics, philosophy, spirituality or creativity that reflect their penchant for testing boundaries. They enjoy pushing other’s buttons, especially those resistant to their modes of expression. It’s not uncommon for them to have a pet social, political or spiritual cause which they’re able to support with heartfelt conviction. May exploit and seek to redefine sexuality to reflect their own colorful and uncertain understanding of it. While prone to exhibitionism, they are strongly attracted to grounding influences which can anchor them and provide stability. Failure to satisfy an especially intense desire for connection may cause this subvariant to spite others at the risk of jeopardizing the need for an equal, stabilizing force. Can feel pulled between wanting a life of maximum intensity and reassuring episodes of peaceful convention.
Motivation: to impact others, question assumptions, challenge convention.
Familiar roles: provocateur, activist, exhibitionist
The most notable difference is the higher/'bigger' energy with sx/so (as well as the blind spot, obviously). A sx/so example: Elon Musk -- massively obsessed with his work but rationalizes he's doing it for the greater good & likes to be in the public eye. Nikola Tesla, sx/sp, was a far more private individual, perhaps even more obsessed with his 'one' (his work). Neither of them like to sleep although Tesla took this to an extreme (like Newton). Bonus points for Tesla being sx and working on energy. I should note however that Musk is a 1 where Tesla was a 5, so it's not a perfect comparison (even though they are both INTJs with an IQ of 160+).

Otherwise their outlook is very similar re risk/intensity/passion etc:
image.jpg
image.jpg
---> working for a couple of decades on my obsession to get that^ feeling? Worth it :)

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
This is the kind of profound devotion to 1 thing I think people are getting at when they talk about Sx. Newton behaved this way for years straight. Archimedes maybe for longer. It's this persistent sense of I'm giving Every Single Piece Of Myself, Every Single Moment, to This One Thing. Nonstop, for an extended period. You fall asleep thinking about it. You wake up thinking about it. You're walking down the road, you're thinking about it. Everything else is secondary. Eating, sleeping, making sure you look presentable. Keeping up contact with people isn't even on the radar. You're chasing that dragon. Nothing Else Matters.
Couldn't this also be a result of being Ni-dom (Newton, usually being typed INTJ) + 5? Ni tends to have that obsessive focus on one thing, as well, and forgetting to eat/sleep can be because of inferior (Se)nsing. 5s, in general, tend to devote themselves to one thing to master too. What makes this specifically sx and not some combination of the other elements? I'm not familiar with Newton or Archimedes to give any opinion on their instincts, but I don't see why this is necessarily related to sx.

I think Beautiful Mind is a depiction of this kind of pattern. Obsessive and ecstatic engrossment in a solo pursuit.

This proves my point because despite him being obsessive about his interest, I don't really see this character as sx-dom. I think he's 5w6 sp/sx, maybe Ni-dom (INTJ), and that's why he is that way, while his wife in the movie is more likely sx-dom (sx/so). It reminds me of when my 4w5 sp/sx friend practices on his guitar all day with no interference from the outside world, and like you say, it's an obsessive solo pursuit. I see sp-doms having this quality too, but it's always attributed only to sx. I'm not sure why, so I'm just putting this forward since it's never discussed.

Tom Condon:

Self Preservation Fives

• Often exceptionally knowledgeable, possibly about obscure subjects
• Use their knowledge to contribute to the world
• Sensitive to being saturated, feel overwhelmed by people’s expectations • Lose their sense of privacy more easily and can quickly feel overstimulated
• Chief defensive tendency is to physically or emotionally withdraw.

• May be more explicitly alienated than the other subtypes
Can close themselves off, burrow into their hobbies and interests; become expert at subjects so specialized or obscure that others leave them alone
• Try to take little from people; fear what the interaction will cost them
• Have a thin ectomorphic body type although they may gain weight due to a sedentary lifestyle
• Especially cost conscious around money, penny-wise and pound foolish • Think of millionaire paupers who die in hovels but have mattresses stuffed with money
Riso-Hudson:

Self-Preservation Fives: Isolation (Ichazo's "Castle")
Self-Preservation Fives are the most introverted Fives—the Fives most likely to seek long periods of privacy and solitude. The hoarding of the Five is focused in the areas of practical resources, living quarters, and personal space. Self-Pres Fives attempt to find out how few self-preservation needs they can subsist on, likely agreeing with Thoreau's statement that "A man is rich in proportion to what he can do without." They are intensely private people who seem to require few comforts, even if they have substantial personal wealth. To some degree, they enjoy the company of trusted others and enjoy sharing their knowledge with people. They can also be counted on for their sense of whimsy and oddball humor. Nonetheless, Self-Pres Fives need lots of time by themselves to regenerate their energy. Many choose to live alone, or if they are in a partnership, they require personal space (such as a study or a nook in the basement) into which others, even loved ones, will not intrude. They also tend to hoard personal effects, stockpiling their homes like castles preparing for a siege. As much as they may like and admire others, they attempt to keep their relationships few and simple, so that they can focus on what holds interest for them.
That fits Nash in the movie in a lot of ways.

I think Ricky Fitts from American Beauty is more along the lines of sx-5, sx/sp 5w4.

Intimate Fives

• Trust only a few selected people but then do so totally.
• Friendship is based on the sharing of confidences. Intimacy is equivalent to exchanging secrets.
• A Five’s bond with a close friend or partner is experienced as away from the outside world, in a bubble, with an all or nothing quality.
Can go from enigmatic, deliberate distance to intense, unguarded openness
• Intuitive, sensitive and non-judgmental of friends
A streak of voyeurism; think of internet sex
• Can obsessively love from afar and then go cold when their love is physically present
• Compartmentalize their relationships; might have friends who never meet each other
• Could especially fear having their separate friends meet
Savor fantasies of being invisible, being close to others and yet unseen
• Could be a bigamist if they had the energy
• Sneaky and devious; can betray others by keeping secrets, telling white lies
Sexual Fives: This Is My World (Ichazo's "Confidence")
Sexual Fives focus their hoarding in the area of intimate relationships. The combination of instinct and type are at odds here: the Five defense is to withdraw, while the sexual instinct demands intimacy and connection. Most Sexual Fives live in an uneasy truce between these polar influences, but they seek to resolve this tension by slowly inviting prospective intimates into their own secret world. Sexual Fives are primarily focused in their imaginations, but they believe that most others would find their thoughts and preoccupations dark and even frightening. At the very least, they are certain that others will find them odd or eccentric. Nonetheless, they want to share their perceptions and hidden worlds and secretly hope to have a deep connection with a single soul, a mate for life, who can understand them and their sometimes bizarre views of reality. Intimacy for them entails finding someone else who will explore the surreal vistas of their inner world. They also look to their partner for some degree of help in dealing with people and the practical affairs of life. They hope that their partner will run interference for them and give them confidence to navigate the external world. If Sexual Fives are disappointed in love, they may retreat and remain unattached for long periods of time, even years.
If you've watched the movie, that's definitely him. He lets only Jane into his inner world, she's the chosen one. Probably another sx-5 (5w4 sx/so, contraflow af) is Donnie Darko.

In Person of Interest, Root has to be Sx. This is kind of an interesting one because it's a project yet also merging with another being.

I've never seen this, but I think she does have more of that sx-energy.

I think pure mathematicians are often Sx. There are lots of great quotes about the experience of doing mathematics. These pursuits typically don't have physical applications right away. And there's really not much in the way of prestige for mathematicians. Most people will see you as pretty damn weird. You really need to have an intense internal reward to motivate decades straight doing this kind of thing.
Again, how is this exactly sx and not just general Type 5 devotion to their chosen subject? I could see any 5s, regardless of their instinct, all having that view of mathematics. This quote seems to me to be the only purely sx one because of the unifying element:

The impulse to unify runs deep in the souls of mathematicians.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
How about levels of unhealthiness? How does it look like?
:) Riso & Hudson are the only ones I can recall mentioning this (from The Wisdom of the Enneagram)
Sexual types tend to have difficulty pursuing their own projects or taking adequate care of themselves, because on a subconscious level, they are always looking outside themselves for the person or situation that will complete them. They are like a plug looking for a socket and can become obsessed with another if they feel they have the right person for them. They may neglect important obligations, or even their own basic necessities, if they are swept up in someone or something that has captivated them.

When they are unhealthy, Sexual types can experience a scattering of their attention and a profound lack of focus. They may act out in sexual promiscuity or become trapped in a fearful, dysfunctions attitude toward sex and intimacy. When the latter becomes their orientation, they will be equally intense about their avoidances.
I suspect the "unnecessary risks'" idea (related to sx) may be amplified when unhealthy too.

How exactly it will work in each unhealthy sx dominant will likely depend on how sx normally manifests in them, the rest of their personality (instincts filter through personality) and the degree to which they're unhealthy. I would guess that the health range in someone's core type (3, 4 etc) is probably representative of their instinct/overall health too (but I'm open to correction on this idea). Since they list off personality disorders at the lowest health rung, I'm guessing that health range will be generally applicable beyond the core type. Seems right for my case.

Here's your core type's health levels: https://www.enneagraminstitute.com/type-4

The only other thing I can think of is checking your subtype descriptions (4 sx) to see what they identify as unhealthy/healthy and what recomendations they might have. It's tangential compared to sx alone but I'm a fan of subtypes (instinct filters through core type according to Riso & Hudson).

Chestnut is usually good: https://www.personalitycafe.com/type-4-forum-individualist/205114-sexual-four-description-according-beatrice-chestnut.html OceanMoonshine describes what being a healthy 4 sx looks like: "When healthy, this subtype learns to balance the need for passion with the less obvious need for groundedness which can come from solid and focused relationships with others and with their creative outlets." He described the less healthy here: https://oceanmoonshine9.wordpress.com/four-stacks/ There may be other worthwhile 4 sx subtype descriptions.

Fwiw I also found this: https://www.personalitycafe.com/enneagram-personality-theory-forum/145615-unhealthy-sx-living-other-people-completely.html

·
Banned
919 Posts
:) Riso & Hudson are the only ones I can recall mentioning this (from The Wisdom of the Enneagram)

I suspect the "unnecessary risks'" idea (related to sx) may be amplified when unhealthy too.

How exactly it will work in each unhealthy sx dominant will likely depend on how sx normally manifests in them, the rest of their personality (instincts filter through personality) and the degree to which they're unhealthy. I would guess that the health range in someone's core type (3, 4 etc) is probably representative of their instinct/overall health too (but I'm open to correction on this idea). Since they list off personality disorders at the lowest health rung, I'm guessing that health range will be generally applicable beyond the core type. Seems right for my case.

Here's your core type's health levels: https://www.enneagraminstitute.com/type-4

The only other thing I can think of is checking your subtype descriptions (4 sx) to see what they identify as unhealthy/healthy and what recomendations they might have. It's tangential compared to sx alone but I'm a fan of subtypes (instinct filters through core type according to Riso & Hudson).

Chestnut is usually good: https://www.personalitycafe.com/type-4-forum-individualist/205114-sexual-four-description-according-beatrice-chestnut.html OceanMoonshine describes what being a healthy 4 sx looks like: "When healthy, this subtype learns to balance the need for passion with the less obvious need for groundedness which can come from solid and focused relationships with others and with their creative outlets." He described the less healthy here: https://oceanmoonshine9.wordpress.com/four-stacks/ There may be other worthwhile 4 sx subtype descriptions.

Fwiw I also found this: https://www.personalitycafe.com/enneagram-personality-theory-forum/145615-unhealthy-sx-living-other-people-completely.html
Thank you! :heart:

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There's the old thread where I got the line about lighting yourself on fire.

Sexual instinct can be called the instinct of attraction. It’s aggressive, competitive, single-minded, "all-or-nothing". Use of this energy is intensely fiery and affirmative, go-get-it approach, a life-and-death matter e.g. salmon swimming upstream to mate and die.

The feeling of SX-first is sometimes compared to being on a roller-coaster ride even though you aren't on one.

This intensity does not have to be met by another person—it can be satisfied by a project, hobby, or special interest. Rather than looking inward or to the group to resolve their problems and challenges, these types tend to look to close relations and activities that can guarantee them an experience of liveliness and intensity.

SX-first people enjoy feeling invigorated. They may fantasize about scenarios that make them feel alive and that are emotionally stimulating. Key words: activation, immersion, charisma, broadcasting displays, fusion, inspiration, volatility.
SX dominant or secondary - charge, electricity, intense attraction, focus, addictions, days without sleeping, moth to the flame attraction, obsessions, stalking, “loose cannons”, blurt things out in groups, don't think about others. It is as if they constantly set themselves on fire. Their life can get out of control if their sx instinct becomes neurotic.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Someone said this is an Sx 5 song.

The song is written by an SX/SP 5 (Leon Russell). Willie Nelson is not a type 5 so his rendition doesn't capture that as well as the song writer's rendition. Here's Leon Russell's live rendition.

It has to do with a usually hidden type 5 sharing himself with an intimate confidant.
Cause we're alone now and I'm singing my song for you.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts