Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Definition from Wiki:
Synesthesia (also spelled synæsthesia or synaesthesia, plural synesthesiae or synaesthesiae)—from the Ancient Greek σύν (syn), "together," and αἴσθησις (aisthēsis), "sensation"—is a neurologically-based condition in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway.[1][2][3][4] People who report such experiences are known as synesthetes

Does anybody here happen to have this condition? Or know anything about it?

I have it, I only came across this actual term a few weeks ago. I can't believe it has a name! Saturday is a grassy yellow-y green colour

Discuss :laughing:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I recommend an interesting book "The Man who tasted shapes" of which I read back in High school. I think it's a fascinating subject and I was always fascinated with Perception as a field of study.

A lot of people don't know this but Kandinsky was a synesthete, and most of his artwork was his visual representations of him hearing a piece of music. One of reasons I love Kandinsky, other than being aesthetically beautiful.

The man who heard his paintbox hiss - Telegraph

·
Registered
853 Posts
Sometimes I wish I had synesthesia. Based on what I've read about it sounds incredible, thought it probably has its downsides. If I could turn it on and off at will, it'd be ideal. I'd probably be one of the best artists of all time if I could do that. The closest I can get to that is that I have a strong ability to create vivid images based on hearing music.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I experience alphanumeric characters as having colors and textures. The main upside, other than it being a cool party trick (I go to nerdy parties) is that it's a useful memory aid, especially for learning new vocabulary. The downside to that technique is sometimes I try to recall a name or word and only remember it "being green."

·
Registered
45 Posts
After researching this a bit I find that I have a form of it too! Ever since I was really young numbers and letters all had genders and personalities. And I remember how some letters hated being next to eachother because it made them uncomfortable. J and K were both girls and faced opposite directions because they didn't like eachother, etc..

Reactions: Psychosmurf

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You synesthetes should listen to a band called The Knife. The colours and shapes I see with them are just out of this world... I'd be interested if anyone else perceived their sound as vibrant as myself

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree that this is not a disorder because it sounds like it would be more fun to have than impairing.

I remember reading that the great Richard Feynman had it with equations.

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
I don't have it, but it is possible to use it in theory as a memory aid.

Just apply colors/sounds/taste, to your thoughts. While it wont be "real" synesthesia, it can be helpful to apply colors to musical notes, or numbers mentally.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I agree that this is not a disorder because it sounds like it would be more fun to have than impairing.

I remember reading that the great Richard Feynman had it with equations.
Exactly. Certain types, like letters and such having colors, might even have potential benefits, like improved reading speed. I haven't seen research confirming or denying that, but I would guess it is the case. Stronger types, such as feeling a sensation that you see, may become overwhelming though.

I find synesthesia fascinating. I've wondered if it is possible to induce some form through intense effort. I plan to try out my hypothesis this winter.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just wondering, bellymys socket, is your signature from that author who quoted "Cellar Door" as being the most beautiful combination of words in the English Language? I remember hearing that somewhere and it reminded me of it, though I can't think of who said it.

Reactions: NeonBomb

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just wondering, bellymys socket, is your signature from that author who quoted "Cellar Door" as being the most beautiful combination of words in the English Language? I remember hearing that somewhere and it reminded me of it, though I can't think of who said it.
Yes it is! It was said in the film Donnie Darko :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thats what it was!!! ok thanks. I like it.

Reactions: NeonBomb

·
Registered
479 Posts
So jealous, wished I had synesthesia ever since I read A Mango Shaped Space in, like, ninth grade. :tongue: I definitely associate letters and numbers with colors and traits, but I don't physically see different colors or anything. But it would be really cool if I did.

Reactions: Jingo

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
So jealous, wished I had synesthesia ever since I read A Mango Shaped Space in, like, ninth grade. :tongue: I definitely associate letters and numbers with colors and traits, but I don't physically see different colors or anything. But it would be really cool if I did.
I was so pissed when I read that book. I'd been planning on writing a story about synesthesia and then I found that :dry:

I would love synesthesia. If you could harness it the way A Mango Shaped Space talked about (associated the colors with methods of solving math problems, or music, or any application really) I'd be so happy. I'm a retardedly visual learner and it'd probably be helpful :D And fun!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I haven't read A Mango Shaped Space, but I read A Frog That Croaked Blue. It was very interesting, but I don't have much a perspective on what most synesthesia books are like.

Are any of you spatially intelligent?
Are you speaking only to those with synesthesia?

If to everyone, then yes, I am. It's pretty much necessary to succeed in engineering.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
J.R.R. Tolkien. (Was quoted as "this famous linguist" in Donnie Darko).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts