Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 457 Posts

·
Banned
21,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tablet sales have been in steady decline for several quarters and, in response, apple today announced some changes to its ipad lineup:

macworld.com Apple's new iPad lineup slashes prices, the iPad Air, and iPad mini storage options

By Michael Simon Staff Writer, Macworld | Mar 21, 2017 7:00 AM PT

Credit: Apple While we’re still waiting for a fresh iPad with barely-there bezels to make an appearance, Apple has returned to its roots with a new 9.7-inch model simply called iPad. And if you had previously balked at buying an iPad Air 2 because the price was too high, you might want to take notice.

Apple hasn’t technically added a new model to the iPad lineup, but it has bolstered the low end. Gone is the aging iPad Air 2 (as well as the whole Air branding), and in its place is a new model that looks exactly the same, with a 9.7-inch retina screen, Touch ID, 32GB or 128GB of storage, and the same color choices (silver, gold, and space gray). On the inside you’ll get an A9 chip—the same one that’s in the iPhone 6s—and the usual 10-hour battery. That’s a relatively small upgrade over the 8X chip that was in the iPad Air 2, but the difference here isn’t in performance, it’s in price.
Apple has slashed the cost of the entry-level iPad from $399 to $329, the same price it once charged for the iPad mini. For $100 more, you can quadruple the storage to 128GB, and as always, cellular capability costs $130 more. Obviously, the new iPad doesn’t have any of the Pro’s features, like the Smart Connector or Apple Pencil support, but it’s definitely an attractive entry-level model.

As far as the iPad mini, the fourth generation of Apple’s 7.9-inch tablet is still hanging around, but it’s the only model that doesn’t start at 32GB of storage. Apple has axed the $269 iPad mini 2, and the mini 4 now comes with just one storage option, 128GB, for the same price of $399. That makes it slightly cheaper than a similarly spec’d iPad, but Apple is clearly pushing the larger tablet here, continuing a trend that started with the iPad Pro. The mini is still running the two-year-old A8 chip, and all signs appear to point to a phase-out of the smaller tablet within the next year or so.

So, Apple’s iPad lineup now looks like this: at the low end, there’s the 32GB $329 9.7-inch iPad, followed by the $399 128GB mini. Then there’s the $599 9.7-inch 32GB iPad Pro, and the $799 12.9-inch Pro with 32 GB of storage. That’s still a lot of options, but it’s much easier to digest than the previous lineup, and puts a clear delineation between the upper and lower models without sacrificing too much in the way of performance.

The new iPad will go on sale Friday, March 24 in the U.S. and more the 20 countries.
apparently, cutting the price of the ipad is apple's way to entice more buyers

do you own a tablet?...do you use it?...with phones becoming bigger and laptops lighter, do you think tablets have a future?...would you buy an ipad for $329?

·
The spirit of the spirits
10,914 Posts
do you own a tablet?...do you use it?...with phones becoming bigger and laptops lighter, do you think tablets have a future?...would you buy an ipad for $329?
Yes, I own 1st gen Nexus 7, it's total garbage and I don't use it. I had Galaxy tab 10.1 and liked it much better, but it lagged a lot. Also it was my first android device and my first computer.

Tablets, except windows tablets, have no future, they don't offer very good functionality and there are better products like laptops.

For 329 bucks I would buy used laptop instead of ipad.

·
Banned
21,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Tablet?
Aren’t they them completely useless fashion accessory, over priced, big phone thingamajigs
I take it you don't own one?...apple has sold more than 300 million ipads since introducing them a few years ago...they own about a quarter of the tablet market, so another 900 million tablets made by other oems have probably also been sold...1.2 billion tablets is a lot, so they can't be that "useless" or "overpriced"...if anything, one reason sales have declined may be how useful they are as people continue using their old tablets rather than buying new ones...another reason, of course, is many people, like you, are using their tablet-like phones (phablets) and don't want or need another mobile device...that's why I asked if tablets have a future when they are being squeezed by phones on the small end and laptops on the big...I think they do...a tablet is still a better device for consuming media than a phone and it is still more portable and easier to use than a laptop...in fact, the small form factor and intuitive touch interface make tablets ideal computers for children and older people...for this reason alone I think tablets will continue to be sold

·
Registered
980 Posts
Well!
That told me didn’t it.
I love data and statistical evidence when it is used to force home a unsubstantiated point. So inhuman
I fucking Hate apple with a vengeance, paying people peanuts to work in inhuman environments to produce their bullshit closed source crap,
Apple in particular are fashion accessories, Who on earth would line up for 12 hours just to buy the latest "I" thingamajig. Over priced for what they are, You buy one then spend another fortune loading those shit apps just to read a simple text document.

So there!

·
10,914 Posts
a tablet is still a better device for consuming media than a phone and it is still more portable and easier to use than a laptop...in fact
Have you heard something about ultrabooks or tablet-laptop hybrids? What is hard about using laptop? I find it hard to hold tablet for a longer time and don't reache everything with thumbs, while with laptop you have trackpad, which is pain in your ass, but it controls everything well. lenovo yoga can offer you both trackpad and touchscreen, technically it's hybrid, not a tablet and it's interesting device. Also there is MS surface and ...

I find it harder to hold 500 gram with my hands, than to put 3kg on my laps. Ultrabooks weight less, so they are even more attractive. 7 inch tablets became useless, when phablet appeared, so I'm talking only about 10 inch tablets here.

the small form factor and intuitive touch interface make tablets ideal computers for children and older people...for this reason alone I think tablets will continue to be sold
Why tablets are bad for children:
They are unpredictable and don't care about devices, they are very likely to drop it or do other type of damage. (Ok I don't know any other better device for them, I guess they should live some time without any device or with something old)

Why tablets are bad for elders:
Lots of elders wear glasses, so small screens aren't their frends. Many elders dislike learning anything new, so they automatically dislike tablets for that.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Playing games is much easier on a tablet, so is viewing/editing media.

I have a Galaxy Tab S2 and absolutely love it. My phone's seen less and less use, and it's just down to a communication tool and camera when I don't have my regular camera on me. Also handy for time wasting when bored out of my mind away from home.

The reason Apple is aggressively pushing their iPad and iPhone products is that's the company they've become. Macs are essentially dead, the entire department seems to be folding. If the iPad and iPhone slump, so does Apple. My Macbook air is a tablet with a keyboard attached that isn't even capable of 1080p (2015 model).

·
10,914 Posts
Playing games is much easier on a tablet, so is viewing/editing media.
Android and iOS lack proper editing software

The reason Apple is aggressively pushing their iPad and iPhone products is that's the company they've become. Macs are essentially dead, the entire department seems to be folding. If the iPad and iPhone slump, so does Apple. My Macbook air is a tablet with a keyboard attached that isn't even capable of 1080p (2015 model).
Something is really wrong with your air. It shouldn't lag, while playing 1080p videos.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Android and iOS lack proper editing software
I meant for mobile media. If the hardware could run it, I'd edit everything on Resolve or Premiere Pro.

Something is really wrong with your air. It shouldn't lag, while playing 1080p videos.
The display itself isn't 1080p. I don't plan on sticking around in Appleland long enough to warrant an external display.

·
Banned
21,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Have you heard something about ultrabooks or tablet-laptop hybrids? What is hard about using laptop?
* ultrabooks and 2-in-1s are still heavier, bulkier, and have keyboards that must be opened to use the devices
* keyboard input is not as direct or intuitive as touchscreen; even kids know how to touch; they don't, however, necessarily know how to spell and type
* apps are opened directly with a single touch; in comparison, a browser must be opened first before websites can be accessed
* compared to windows, mobile os apps can be downloaded from a single store; this also simplifies the updating software

I find it hard to hold tablet for a longer time and don't reache everything with thumbs, while with laptop you have trackpad, which is pain in your ass, but it controls everything well. lenovo yoga can offer you both trackpad and touchscreen, technically it's hybrid, not a tablet and it's interesting device. Also there is MS surface and ... I find it harder to hold 500 gram with my hands, than to put 3kg on my laps. Ultrabooks weight less, so they are even more attractive.
you can rest the bottom edge of the tablet as you hold it, taking the weight off your hands...you can also buy a cover that lets you prop the tablet up as it sits on your lap (or any nearby surface)...a tablet is also far more portable; for example, you can use it as you walk, something you can't easily do with laptops...and it is easier to touch a screen while you lie on a couch or in bed than type on laptop

Why tablets are bad for children:
They are unpredictable and don't care about devices, they are very likely to drop it or do other type of damage. (Ok I don't know any other better device for them, I guess they should live some time without any device or with something old)
they can drop laptops, too...and laptops have hinges and screens that are far from kid-proof...and they are more expensive to replace

you can buy tablets aimed at kids that are built to take the abuse...you can also find accessories to protect tablets, like covers, guards, and screen shields

Why tablets are bad for elders:
Lots of elders wear glasses, so small screens aren't their frends. Many elders dislike learning anything new, so they automatically dislike tablets for that.
videos are easily viewed on 10" tablets, even for seniors...and text can be enlarged in a pinch

imo, the simplicity and ease of use of tablets make them the best computing option for seniors

·
Banned
21,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well!
That told me didn’t it.
I love data and statistical evidence when it is used to force home a unsubstantiated point.
https://www.statista.com/topics/841/tablets/

So inhuman
I fucking Hate apple with a vengeance, paying people peanuts to work in inhuman environments to produce their bullshit closed source crap,
Apple in particular are fashion accessories, Who on earth would line up for 12 hours just to buy the latest "I" thingamajig. Over priced for what they are, You buy one then spend another fortune loading those shit apps just to read a simple text document.

So there!
true for the watch, maybe for the phone, too, but when is the last time you saw a model with a tablet?

·
10,914 Posts
* ultrabooks and 2-in-1s are still heavier, bulkier, and have keyboards that must be opened to use the devices
As I said above, put it on your laps or table and you won't feel any weight. i see nothing wrong with physical keyboard, they are better, than virtual one (personal opinion).

* keyboard input is not as direct or intuitive as touchscreen; even kids know how to touch; they don't, however, necessarily know how to spell and type
I played video games like UT2004 and GTA San Andreas with keyboard and mouse. I may not understand language, but I played succesfully and learned everything myself quite effortless. Later in my life I learned about letters and language. Even learned English from games, before school. Don't underestimate kid learning abilities, they can find out something fast if they want. Then again kids don't write with tablets either, so point is destroyed :kitteh:

* apps are opened directly with a single touch; in comparison, a browser must be opened first before websites can be accessed
How this is different from computer? This is same task and same process needed to complete it.

* compared to windows, mobile os apps can be downloaded from a single store; this also simplifies the updating software
,but windows have much better library of video games. Also playing FPS, action game or something like that is pain in your ass. Computer has mouse and keyboard, this combo is suerior to touchscreen. Well, if you aren't interested in those, then tablet is good alternative, but you will always feel limited by half-ass OS.

you can rest the bottom edge of the tablet as you hold it, taking the weight off your hands...you can also buy a cover that lets you prop the tablet up as it sits on your lap (or any nearby surface)...a tablet is also far more portable; for example, you can use it as you walk, something you can't easily do with laptops...and it is easier to touch a screen while you lie on a couch or in bed than type on laptop
You can rest it, but tablet needs support then.
Buying cover is additional money spent, you don't want to pay for it. If you put it in cover, then touching screen is becoming uncomfortable as fuck.
You can use it as you walk, but all you had to do was to watch the damn road.

Problem? (no weight to arms + comfortable and heated rest for them = win)

they can drop laptops, too...and laptops have hinges and screens that are far from kid-proof...and they are more expensive to replace
I said, tha tthere is no better alternative also they don't need such things at all. Only if their parents are rich they can have it. Oh I remembered, that I played with my Nokia 3210, when I was 5 year old. It was strong brick and played symbian S30 java games. Also I used this thing to connect to net for the first time. Few megabytes of data were huge, oh those damn memories. Those bricks are actually quite good for kids and can play video games.

you can buy tablets aimed at kids that are built to take the abuse...you can also find accessories to protect tablets, like covers, guards, and screen shields
They don't prevent unfortunate events, only reduce probability. Yet there is no alternative.

videos are easily viewed on 10" tablets, even for seniors...and text can be enlarged in a pinch
Not everything can be enlarged in a pinch and 10 inches can't be compared to at least 13 or more.

imo, the simplicity and ease of use of tablets make them the best computing option for seniors
maybe, but from my experience they find everything to be more difficult, than it actually is.

·
Banned
21,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
As I said above, put it on your laps or table and you won't feel any weight.
but sitting at a table isn't the only place I want to use a computer

i see nothing wrong with physical keyboard, they are better, than virtual one (personal opinion).
they are...but you don't always need a keyboard

I played video games like UT2004 and GTA San Andreas with keyboard and mouse. I may not understand language, but I played succesfully and learned everything myself quite effortless. Later in my life I learned about letters and language. Even learned English from games, before school. Don't underestimate kid learning abilities, they can find out something fast if they want. Then again kids don't write with tablets either, so point is destroyed :kitteh:
yes, kids can learn to use desktops or laptops...but tablets are still easier to learn and use...in fact, they are so easy to use even cats can play with them:

How this is different from computer? This is same task and same process needed to complete it.
no, it's not...when I want to use twitter I touch the "twitter" icon on my tablet and I'm in twitter...on my laptop, I have to open the laptop, open my browser, then open twitter and sign in--ie, it's not as fast or simple

,but windows have much better library of video games. Also playing FPS, action game or something like that is pain in your ass. Computer has mouse and keyboard, this combo is suerior to touchscreen. Well, if you aren't interested in those, then tablet is good alternative, but you will always feel limited by half-ass OS.
I don't play games and don't care, but there are a lot of games in apps stores, too...of course, tablets are not as powerful as high-end laptops and desktops so your choice of titles will be limited...but for young kids tablet games are probably more than good enough

You can rest it, but tablet needs support then.
with a cover, it sits on a surface just like a laptop:

Buying cover is additional money spent, you don't want to pay for it.
there are many inexpensive ones

If you put it in cover, then touching screen is becoming uncomfortable as fuck.
huh?

You can use it as you walk, but all you had to do was to watch the damn road.
it's no different than looking at your phone

Problem? (no weight to arms + comfortable and heated rest for them = win)

that's sitting up in bed, not lying back like this:

I said, tha tthere is no better alternative also they don't need such things at all. Only if their parents are rich they can have it. Oh I remembered, that I played with my Nokia 3210, when I was 5 year old. It was strong brick and played symbian S30 java games. Also I used this thing to connect to net for the first time. Few megabytes of data were huge, oh those damn memories. Those bricks are actually quite good for kids and can play video games.

They don't prevent unfortunate events, only reduce probability. Yet there is no alternative.
they're cheaper to replace

Not everything can be enlarged in a pinch and 10 inches can't be compared to at least 13 or more.
apple's ipad pro is 12+ inches...a less expensive option is the lenovo yoga a12:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/lenovo/a-series/lenovo-a12/

maybe, but from my experience they find everything to be more difficult, than it actually is.
if they can't figure out a tablet they probably won't be able to figure out a laptop, either

·
Registered
28,818 Posts
The iPad 2 is still getting the same OS updates as the latest iPad. They have a much longevity than a phone that you might replace every 1-2 years because of your wireless plan. If you're a person who buys something and uses it sporadically, you probably aren't a person who upgrades their iPad. If I knew what on Earth happened to my original iPad, I would not have an iPad Air 2, of course that's a bad example because iPad 1 is now useless due to a lack of RAM.

I see children using tablets as toys and using them at school to do certain activities in the future. The problem with all of these things is they all try to achieve the same tasks. The iPad has very little software that can't also be downloaded on an iPhone. I think tablets are also good as point-of-sales systems to my understanding.

Overall, for what intersects between my iPad and my laptop, not playing flash videos or create an email server, the iPad is far more convenient. Windows is clunky, laptops have very short battery lives, amazingly short ones. If I want to go watch some YouTube on my iPad, it would probably last a while, laptops are a sham in every way.

·
10,914 Posts
but sitting at a table isn't the only place I want to use a computer
I said laps

they are...but you don't always need a keyboard
Just like not always you need touchscreen

yes, kids can learn to use desktops or laptops...but tablets are still easier to learn and use...in fact, they are so easy to use even cats can play with them:

Lots of scratches though

no, it's not...when I want to use twitter I touch the "twitter" icon on my tablet and I'm in twitter...on my laptop, I have to open the laptop, open my browser, then open twitter--ie, it's not as fast or simple
With lappy you get full version, with phone you get worse version most of the time. And with phone you still need to take it out of pocket, press button, unlock screen, turn on wifi or data connection, tap on twitter. It's just as bad as lappy and twitter is worse on it.

I don't play games and don't care, but there are a lot of games in apps stores, too...of course, tablets are not as powerful as high-end laptops and desktops so your choice of titles will be limited...but for young kids tablet games are probably more than good enough
And you forgot to mention, that those app stores have shit ton of crappy, pay2play and retarded games. Rarely someone like EA make something for Android or iOS. Quality and quantity can't be compared to Windows ones.

with a cover, it sits on a surface just like a laptop:

They don't stand so firmly as laptop, in my experience they are crap and ugly

there are many inexpensive ones
They are badly made, cheap cases aren't good, except silicone ones.

Not comfortable at all and add table to limit your movements or laps for even worse situation

it's no different than looking at your phone
It's not good thing either. I have seen many stupid people to go into streets and be almost hit by car, they still don't give a fuck and keep looking at their phones.

that's sitting up in bed, not lying back like this:

I just showed those pics to show the idea, you can lie in your bed with lappy, but sitting is preffered. Same applies to tablet.

they're cheaper to replace
maybe

apple's ipad pro is 12+ inches...a less expensive option is the lenovo yoga a12:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/lenovo/a-series/lenovo-a12/
They have almost no advantages compared to ultrabooks. Ultrabooks are seriously superior to those things.

if they can't figure out a tablet they probably won't be able to figure out a laptop, either
They can't figure out technology well and it doesn't matter if it's tablet or PC. Yet tablets and PCs aren't difficult to use.

·
Banned
21,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I said laps
you said "laps or table":

As I said above, put it on your laps or table and you won't feel any weight.
;)

Just like not always you need touchscreen
most laptops don't have the option, but when you can use a touchscreen it eliminates the need for the keyboard

Lots of scratches though
the point is the tablet is so easy and intuitive to use even cats can play with them...of course, you don't have to let your cat paw your tablet if that bothers you

With lappy you get full version, with phone you get worse version most of the time. And with phone you still need to take it out of pocket, press button, unlock screen, turn on wifi or data connection, tap on twitter. It's just as bad as lappy and twitter is worse on it.
we're talking about a tablet, not a phone...all you have to do is pick up the tablet and open twitter; presto, you're in your account...on a laptop, you have to open the laptop, open your browser, surf to twitter, and enter your password...as for version, what can't I do on my tablet that I can on my laptop?

And you forgot to mention, that those app stores have shit ton of crappy, pay2play and retarded games. Rarely someone like EA make something for Android or iOS. Quality and quantity can't be compared to Windows ones.
who says you have to download the crap?...just download the good games

They don't stand so firmly as laptop, in my experience they are crap and ugly
how much experience do you have with tablet covers?...the cover on my tablet is svelte and stylish and it sits with no problems on my lap or any other surface I place it on

They are badly made, cheap cases aren't good, except silicone ones.
you say this based on how much experience?

Not comfortable at all and add table to limit your movements or laps for even worse situation
wtf?....how does a cover make a tablet "uncomfortable as fuck to touch"?!

It's not good thing either. I have seen many stupid people to go into streets and be almost hit by car, they still don't give a fuck and keep looking at their phones.
it's a good thing if you use it right, as most people do...obviously the people you cite are doing it wrong

I just showed those pics to show the idea, you can lie in your bed with lappy, but sitting is preffered. Same applies to tablet.
sitting is "preferred" with a laptop because you can't type lying down...but you can easily use a tablet in the supine position

not maybe...definitely....the cheapest tablets are about $100...the cheapest laptops are about $200

They have almost no advantages compared to ultrabooks. Ultrabooks are seriously superior to those things.
an ultrabook is at least 3 times more expensive than the yoga a12, which has a keyboard and is still thinner and lighter than any ultrabook

They can't figure out technology well and it doesn't matter if it's tablet or PC. Yet tablets and PCs aren't difficult to use.
there are millions of older people who use tablets...this report is dated but gives you an idea:

Older People Are Buying A Lot Of iPads

• Aug. 25, 2011, 10:53 AM

The iPad is no longer a device for just young men, according to new data from Nielsen.

People over the age of 45 now account for 37% of the tablet, a.k.a. iPad, market according to Nielsen.

That's up from 23% of the market nine months ago.

The growth in ownership from older people took share away from people between the ages of 25 and 34.

In Q3 2010, they owned 23% of tablet devices versus just 13% in Q2 2011.
The numbers indicate that tablets are moving past the early-adopter stage and into the mainstream.
I know a few of these people and they didn't have a difficult time learning

·
Banned
21,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
pew research:

Among older adults, tablets and e-book readers are as popular as smartphones: Among the general public, smartphones are much more common than either tablet computers or e-book readers, such as Kindles or Nooks. But tablets, e-book readers, and smartphones are each owned by an identical 18% of older adults. In fact, the proportion of older adults who own either a tablet or an e-book reader is actually larger than the proportion owning a smartphone. Some 27% of seniors own a tablet, an e-book reader, or both, while 18% own a smartphone.

·
10,914 Posts
you said "laps or table":
You forgot laps anyway

most laptops don't have the option, but when you can use a touchscreen it eliminates the need for the keyboard
Not really, let's say you have surface 3 and want to play minecraft

the point is the tablet is so easy and intuitive to use even cats can play with them...of course, you don't have to let your cat paw your tablet if that bothers you
Well you are cat, so...

we're talking about a tablet, not a phone...all you have to do is pick up the tablet and open twitter; presto, you're in your account...on a laptop, you have to open the laptop, open your browser, surf to twitter, and enter your password...as for version, what can't I do on my tablet that I can on my laptop?
What about password autofill?

who says you have to download the crap?...just download the good games
Problem is that Android and iOS is filled with that and really good games are rare. That's a problem

how much experience do you have with tablet covers?...the cover on my tablet is svelte and stylish and it sits with no problems on my lap or any other surface I place it on
Not much, but it was crappy experience. I have more experience in phone cases. Everything, that isn't silicone generally sucks. They are unrealible or poorly made or ugly or make things uncomfortable.

you say this based on how much experience?
How it's even measured?

wtf?....how does a cover make a tablet "uncomfortable as fuck to touch"?!
I said case, but wahtever. Imagine you fold it to stand on table and you have to touch tablet. You can touch everything fine (unless table reduce reachable space), but for how long? Not for long, because hands will become sore soon.

it's a good thing if you use it right, as most people do...obviously the people you cite are doing it wrong
Either way they are walking zombies and annoy me as Se dom.

sitting is "preferred" with a laptop because you can't type lying down...but you can easily use a tablet in the supine position
You can use laptop easely supine too. You have to bent your legs and open screen as fart as it goes and put it on bent legs. Voila!

not maybe...definitely....the cheapest tablets are about $100...the cheapest laptops are about $200
And in the end they both suck for that price...

an ultrabook is at least 3 times more expensive than the yoga a12, which has a keyboard and is still thinner and lighter than any ultrabook
Well yoga a12 is kinda Android ultrabook. Androids with keyboards aren't very good things, they are quite useless. I have tried that with Nexus 7 and I had mouse too. It was stupid idea.

there are millions of older people who use tablets...this report is dated but gives you an idea:
not bad, didn't expect that

I know a few of these people and they didn't have a difficult time learning
You are lucky

What is most important is that many major tablet manufacturers reduced model gamma. It's a fact, that tablets are losing popularity and manufacturers don't bring much inovation to sell them better.

1 - 20 of 457 Posts