Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The phrase has been used to describe the theory that humans (and all living creatures in general) are born with no pre-existing knowledge, memory or experience and therefore none of the abstract concepts that we come to use in life. Our souls and minds and a "blank slate" at birth, and everything we come to be, think and do, is shaped solely by our own experience.

What do you think?

·
Registered
82 Posts
The phrase has been used to describe the theory that humans (and all living creatures in general) are born with no pre-existing knowledge, memory or experience and therefore none of the abstract concepts that we come to use in life. Our souls and minds and a "blank slate" at birth, and everything we come to be, think and do, is shaped solely by our own experience.

What do you think?
Hadn't heard of the theory until now. So, if reincarnation does in fact occur, we are doomed to repeat the same stupid mistakes over and over and over again?

Well, it would explain a lot.

I hope in my next life I'm an ES type then--- it would be nice to at least live a blissful ignorant existence. Uh oh... did I just say that? Woops (ducks). :laughing:

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

What do you think?
Feral children shows to me how adaptable humans are, and in how many directions our growth and development can embrace. It's the case of children who are abondoned in the wild and in some cases are taken in by packs of animals. They will learn to mimick and behave like these animals, growing up amongst them, right down to the point that they don't even have self-awareness. The brain is very underdeveloped in these cases and that serves as a good example of tabula rasa:

YouTube - WILD CHILD THE STORY OF FERAL CHILDREN

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
This seems to me to be more of a Nature vs. Nurture debate where Nature believes that we were born with pre- existing information while Nurture believes that the experiences we are subjected to and our nuturing influences our development and personality.

I would say that we are born with no knowledge and learn things as we grow. However, things like reflex actions and behaviours are more "pre- wired" in our brain system.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Our souls and minds and a "blank slate" at birth, and everything we come to be, think and do, is shaped solely by our own experience.

What do you think?
Solely is too extreme. Genetic pre-dispositions and evolutionary impulses play large roles, something Tabula Rasa does not take into account. I wouldn't hold it against Locke, though, as he couldn't have known about evolution and genetics.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So "genetic" or "evolutionary" predispositions are a form of "knowledge" that is "pre-wired" in living things, before they begin accumulating their first experiences.

For example I read somewhere that baby spiders start weaving their first webs upon hatching from their eggs. Where does this knowledge come from?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but every developed society seems to have developed means of perpetuating the human race, while acting on a few main moral principles and the instinct for human survival.

I think even wolf boy would be scared if he knew death was near.

As has been stated in this thread, tabula rasa applies until you consider instincts.

Oh, and there seems to be a hereditary aspect to introversion and intuitive dominance. There are about three sensors in my extended family of 50 or so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts