Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
THE IRON GIANT
10,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously asking here, anything at all. Myers-Briggs, enneagram, variant stack, Socionics, even a single cognitive function. Anything you can offer.

Last time I did this a good 50% or more of those who responded came out with "I get definite feelery vibes" but nobody would say what they meant by that or why. I think a lot of people here have read enough of my posts now to be able to offer some concrete input.

So have at it. I'm not attached to being any particular type, so feel free to offer your thoughts.

Right now I'm at ISTJ, 6w7 9w1 2w1, sx/so, LSI.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
I have read a lot of your posts --- and I have to state that your posts are very Si heavy [but I could be wrong there] ....

Would I be right to guess that perhaps the real confusion is Fe vs Te? If so, then which aspects of each do you relate to, or not relate to?

There was a time when I was confused between Te and Fe for myself [as a dominant function no less] - perhaps we can discuss that - if that's the source of your questioning.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
When you responded to me you seemed very Fe, but I only had limited interaction with you. I think a Ti/Fi reaction would have been a bit more direct and reactive. I was being a bit selfish in my responses, but you seemed to really kind of sympathize with me which I think would be a more Fe reaction. Maybe you read my frustration, and you were in tune to that? I could see Fe from your style of responses. Going off the Si+Fe impression could be ISFJ you definitely seem very helper oriented from what I have read/heard from you. But again this is just a brief glimpse from my view. I could see how others could get that view of you.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have noticed that when you make value judgements they tend to seem fully deliberate and fair (no so much in the equivocal sense, just that it doesn't seem like unconscious Feeling "poisoning" healthy Thinking). But I guess that doesn't necessarily mean it's always been a fully conscious part of your personality. Still, probably not inferior Feeling at least.

It's hard for me to grab hold of any real impression of an S or N functional tendency.

My first guess is that were you to not be ISTJ it's possible you had the functions right but that it should actually be arranged INFP.

·
THE IRON GIANT
10,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have read a lot of your posts --- and I have to state that your posts are very Si heavy [but I could be wrong there] ....
I agree. I'm pretty confident on my use of Si, but I'm not sure where in my lineup it is. I just think it's one of the first three, because I am very confident that I am not Ne dom.

Would I be right to guess that perhaps the real confusion is Fe vs Te? If so, then which aspects of each do you relate to, or not relate to?
I was about to rattle off all the types I've tested as, but I hate the tests. Functions are where it's at. I relate far more to Te than Ti, and to Fi than Fe. But my Fi is not overwhelming. It's boosted seriously by being around Kay... learning about Fi from her, through observation, has shown me what I believe is Fi in myself, but has also illustrated to me the difference between Fi in conscious or subconscious operation. My working thought until now has been that my Fe-like behavior is an adaptation, something I didn't have even 10-15 years ago (I'm 36 now). Te-Fi in close proximity (as they would be in an IxTJ) could fit. But again, I'm totally open.

I relate to the ordering impulse of Te, and it's not hard for me to relate to the Si-Te combination. I don't rapidly evaluate, the way a rational type would, but I instinctively feel compelled to structure my space, and sometimes even others, based on my impressions. This is an instinct I've worked against since I discovered it, so it's far less apparent than it was even two years ago... my ex-wife could attest to that. :laughing:

Sometimes I think Fe fits me, but I'm not sure if it's just Te-Fi. I have not, in the past, been open about my feelings at all. I share a LOT on here, and I'm getting more comfortable with doing this in real life as well. I do an amount of accommodation to others, and I'm certainly very aware of what society expects of me in terms of this. When it's not a conflict for me, I'll accommodate others. When they step on my values, I get annoyed. When they continue to do so, I become more than annoyed. However, I'm a lot better at letting go of grudges than the strong Fi users I've observed. In fact, I lean towards letting go when given the option... I'd rather move on from such things, and I'm almost always ready to accept conflicts of opinion between myself and others.

There was a time when I was confused between Te and Fe for myself [as a dominant function no less] - perhaps we can discuss that - if that's the source of your questioning.
Sure. I question all of it, maybe because I'm a six. I've been told a number of times that people think I'm ISFJ. I'd be fine with being ISFJ, of course, I just need someone to explain to me why they think I'm something other than what I'm currently set for.

·
THE IRON GIANT
10,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you responded to me you seemed very Fe, but I only had limited interaction with you. I think a Ti/Fi reaction would have been a bit more direct and reactive. I was being a bit selfish in my responses, but you seemed to really kind of sympathize with me which I think would be a more Fe reaction. Maybe you read my frustration, and you were in tune to that? I could see Fe from your style of responses. Going off the Si+Fe impression could be ISFJ you definitely seem very helper oriented from what I have read/heard from you. But again this is just a brief glimpse from my view. I could see how others could get that view of you.
Thanks for your input. I don't really relate to Ti at all, from what I've read of it. I think if I'm using Ti, it's subconscious.

·
THE IRON GIANT
10,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have noticed that when you make value judgements they tend to seem fully deliberate and fair (no so much in the equivocal sense, just that it doesn't seem like unconscious Feeling "poisoning" healthy Thinking). But I guess that doesn't necessarily mean it's always been a fully conscious part of your personality. Still, probably not inferior Feeling at least.
Thank you for this, that's a very useful observation.

It's hard for me to grab hold of any real impression of an S or N functional tendency.
I struggle with this as well.

My first guess is that were you to not be ISTJ it's possible you had the functions right but that it should actually be arranged INFP.
I've entertained that thought in the past. I just think I'm too orderly to not be using either Te or Fe as my dom or aux function. That isn't to say my home isn't a mess much of the time, just that I'm pretty deliberate and direct in the way I judge.

·
THE IRON GIANT
10,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From what I have noticed, I think feeler vibes come from being a 6, in the form of emotional security, that could explain why. I would say ISTJ sounds about right.
That's an excellent point. I've heard this about other sixes as well, including other ISTJ sixes, like @Out0fAmmo. Thank you.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
I'm seriously asking here, anything at all. Myers-Briggs, enneagram, variant stack, Socionics, even a single cognitive function. Anything you can offer.

Last time I did this a good 50% or more of those who responded came out with "I get definite feelery vibes" but nobody would say what they meant by that or why. I think a lot of people here have read enough of my posts now to be able to offer some concrete input.

So have at it. I'm not attached to being any particular type, so feel free to offer your thoughts.

Right now I'm at ISTJ, 6w7 9w1 2w1, sx/so, LSI.

Thanks!
if I were to type you completely based off of your "vibe"
- ISFJ, possibly ISTJ
- core 9w1, possibly core 9w8 or 6w7
- 6-9-2 trifix
- Sp/Sx

you may want to try filling out @Spades questionnaire
http://personalitycafe.com/whats-my-enneagram-type/84019-enneagram-questionnaire.html

·
THE IRON GIANT
10,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think your heart fix is 2w3. Could you talk about why you consider yourself 9w1 fixed?
Why 2w3? The entirety of my tritype, with the exception of the 6w7, was advice from Scruffy. It's seemed to fit me rather well. The 9w1 is about my aversion to conflict, but with more of a one "right/wrong" attitude than an eight "outta my way" attitude.

·
THE IRON GIANT
10,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if I were to type you completely based off of your "vibe"
- ISFJ, possibly ISTJ
- core 9w1, possibly core 9w8 or 6w7
- 6-9-2 trifix
- Sp/Sx
I had considered that I might be a nine. I have typed as a six 100% of the time on tests, and related very well to 6w7 descriptions. However, lately I was thinking I was integrated at nine. Then I considered, what if I've been a nine all along, and was disintegrated to six? I've tried to map my direction of integration and disintegration, and I think integrating to 3 makes more sense to me than disintegrating to it. When I joined I had a poor impression of type threes, and have since interacted with some great type threes so have become less biased against them.

Can you explain what about my vibe brought you to these ideas?

I'll have a look, thank you.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
I had considered that I might be a nine. I have typed as a six 100% of the time on tests, and related very well to 6w7 descriptions. However, lately I was thinking I was integrated at nine. Then I considered, what if I've been a nine all along, and was disintegrated to six? I've tried to map my direction of integration and disintegration, and I think integrating to 3 makes more sense to me than disintegrating to it. When I joined I had a poor impression of type threes, and have since interacted with some great type threes so have become less biased against them.
same here lol

Can you explain what about my vibe brought you to these ideas?
for the most part, no. I haven't read a lot of your posts so I didn't have much to go off of (honestly, your avatar probably influenced the vibe I got quite a bit, it is 9 as hell LOL). thus, I await your quiz results (of course, don't rush on my account. it looks simple, but it's going to take awhile to complete, so feel free to take as much time as you need)

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
I don't think you're an Fi inferior Stephen. My dad's an Fi inferior and when was 36, he was an unemotional workoholic beast who had no idea that anything like emotional intimacy even existed. You're ... closer than him with regards to emotional awareness of yourself as well as those around you --- I do believe that our development is influenced by those around us. My confusion between Te and Fe stemmed from my closeness to my father and to my mother.

Also, both Te and Fe are judging functions and therefore all the organizing, planning, controlling aspects are shared. What isn't share is the method of evaluation ... When it comes to making rational decisions, for me Fe always beats out Te ... Te is not impressed, or rarely even concerned with the emotional impact of Te-based judgements. Whereas, Fe will always consider the emotional impact. It impacts how decisions are made in the corporate sphere ... one of the ways I separated Te from my use of Fe was by self-reflecting on my behaviour in the corporate environment as opposed to private/personal life.

Fe is not incapable of objective evaluations, in impersonal decisions - but in order to do so, the feeling impact has to be forced aside ... it's almost like cutting off my heart in order to go with my head. When I was a manager of a team of subordinates, I had to constantly review myself and was actually told by other managers to not consider the impact of firing on someone and their family, and to keep my focus on the bottom line of the company. Impartial decision making and goal-setting that didn't revolve around considering emotional impact is difficult, but not impossible --- whereas I'm guessing that it would be the other way round with a Te user. I.e. considering the emotional impact may actually be harder.

I know it is for my ESTJ dad, and INTJ brother. They go on this planning rampage at times and just "bang", "bang", bang" have lists of goals and objectives and decisions outlined for the whole family, and my mom and I are left massaging our emotions after they've had their say. My father cannot plan anything even as simple as a picnic without jotting things down on a piece of paper ... he worries about everything from where to get the drinks, when to get them, how much to spend on them *before* he even makes a suggestion of "Let's go on a picnic". But then, he's also Te dominant. He has pretty much no interest in aesthetics and doesn't have an aptitude for it either .... which is something that comes with a well-developed Fi --- or at least Fi in the aux position imo.

One of the things that I've noticed is that some of the less developed Fi users tend to ignore empathy completely. I think it takes some life experiences to invoke Tert or inferior Fi - but I believe that being empathic to others may actually become draining and seem almost unnatural. If you're Tertiary Fi, then I'm guessing that it would almost seem un-natural to you to *always* be empathic ... or be empathic for the greater part of your life.

As an Fe user, it's actually harder for me to not be empathic ... to not put feelings of others first. It's harder to be pragmatic, but not impossible. Also, my Enneagram influences a lot of the way that I am ... it's easier for me than other ENFJ's to repress and control my feeling urges because I'm highly goal oriented to begin with [3w4]. I was relating to Te partly because of how I was: Efficient, Goal-oriented --- which is an overlap with my Enneagram. How I distinguished is primarily through my relationships and how I was in those relationships. It allowed me to make my goals relatively people oriented, and not as seemingly selfish.

As for N vs S ... One of the biggest differences I've noticed between Si vs Ni [my ESTJ dad vs INTJ brother] and I hate to tout stereotype, but my dad is very, very much focused on looking at details and making very specific point by point details. There was a difference in their career choices as well. My father when into Engineering and he can't do anything more than that even though he became a CEO ... there's just a very remarked difference in how they relate to each other. My father is definitely intuitive, but he has to look into the past in order to dig up ways of how the future might become ... whereas, my brother has a tendency to pull stuff out of his ass, and make connections which sometimes baffle my father, but they can and do relate because of their common Te.

It's a crude way of typing ... but my father and brother get along better [ESTJ + INTJ], whereas my mother and I get along better [INFJ + ENFJ]. We're both much more emotional than my father and brother whose emotions tend to come out under stress. And we're much better equipped to handle our own emotions and actually seek a lot more emotional intimacy with each other than the other 2.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
I'm going to give it some thought.

I've wondered how you picked LSI. LSI is Ti Se in socionics.

IM elements - WSWiki

Reactions: Stephen

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
2w1 is a more "Service oriented" in a somewhat staid manner- fix. 2w3 is the warmer, more open fix with a more inviting touch. You come across as charming, inclusive and more able to form relationships/connections with members, even within the context of a brief conversation. Your self-image (and how it presents outwardly) seems more adaptable and malleable than a 2w1 fixer's. You know how to work an audience (high compliment for an ISTJ; so take a bow right now;)). In other words, you have an unmistakably 3-ish flavouring to your ability create a emotional/social impact through your presence. So no, I can't see you as a 2w1 fixer;).

As for the the right/wrong part.. about your 9w1 fix.hmm. I'll have to think about it. In our conversation earlier( and from what I've noticed), you talked about a greater ability and desire to defend threatened values...than is seen in 9 fixers. Conflict-aversion is also quite common in phobic 6s.

Could you tell me if you'd prefer to maintain your peace of mind OR be compelled to step in and speak up (regardless of your dislike of conflict) if you were in a situation where deeply held convictions were threatened? It's not that a 9w1 fixed person would never speak up, but their aversion to conflict (even keeping your superego p6 core in mind) would be such that the general pattern pattern in their life would suggest a propensity to walk away from such conflicts rather than taking a stand. What's the general pattern in your own life?

We could talk about the possibility of a 1w9 fix as opposed to a 9w1 fix after I read your response.

Also, there are a lot of misconceptions about one fixers. A lot of 1 fixers avoid being typed as such because they feel that 1 fixers are rigid, moral crusaders with sticks up their butts, I quote lofl. Ok. It's important to note that 1 fix has to do with adherence to principles, as well as an awareness of "goodness" and embodying it however the person sees fit given their value system, and not all ones and one fixers are 'traditional', 'stuck up' people who relentlessly shove their ethical positions down people's throats. 1w9 partner finds that such pushiness is against his principles, and he stubbornly adheres to the "principle" of being open minded and empathetic. So, it would help to keep that in mind:).

I could see 6-2w3-9 or 6-2w3-1w9. We'll see:).

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
@Jawz
Te is more like "there was an emotional impact to begin with?" the way I think of it, there's a situation/problem, you find the best solution you can, get some outside opinions, maybe change up your plan a little and then do it. granted, I take people's bests interests into my evaluations and try to make sure I'm not going to do anything that would have undeserved negative consequences on people, but, as you probably know, this is not the same as dealing with the "emotional impact". as an ENFP, my feelings are so internally based that practically nothing can "emotionally impact me" I have very delayed emotional responses to things, like the stimulus goes through a conveyor belt of thoughts, introspection, evaluating etc before I even feel anything. I am the kind of person where someone dies and for a month I'm thinking "whatever" until all of a sudden a month later it hits me (though this isn't purely function related, all E7s are like this to an extent). my mom on the other hand will immediately start crying within minutes.

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
I do not think you're Sx first, I find you a bit too likeable for that. Sx first's have that sort of vibe that make people love you, or hate you. I find you somewhere in the middle, I find that you're generally liked especially on first impression (who knows after they meet you heh).

My instinctual stacking advice is almost purely vibe-based, so trying to get me to explain would be a bit rough, but I could try later (after exam week probably).

I would be more apt to classify your stacking as Sp/So, or So/Sp, I don't see the rawness of an Sx first/seconder.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts