Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since really becoming familiar with the INFJ personality, and attempting to type many of my friends and familiy members, I think I am recognizing quite a few fellow INFJs. But, statistically, that shouldn't be the case, should it?

But then, maybe since I am an INFJ myself, it's just easier for me to identify other INFJ's?

These are the people I either know are INFJ from discussing the personality type with them, or suspect are INFJ based on what I know about them:

mother-in-law
sister-in-law
grandmother
a couple of old friends from high school
an acquaintance from church

This is quite a few, considering the statistics, isn't it?

Now, I suppose if my grandmother is an INFJ, there might be a genetic component linking my personality type to hers. And maybe my husband and his brother both married INFJs because it was what they were familiar with, since their mother is an INFJ. idk

What INFJ's do you all know in real life? And what do you think of them?

I would have to say that my mother-in-law and sister-in-law and I, while having quite a bit in common, are also quite different. It's interesting to note how individual each of us is, even though we have the same basic personality.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Your sample of people isn't random though. Statistics applies only to random samples. It has been my observation that N tends to run in families, so if you are N-type the proportion of other Ns in your family is likely to be higher than in general population. Also Ns tend to attract other Ns because we find each other more interesting and easier to relate to than to sensors, and our fellow types tend to get attracted to alike hobbies. So if you are sampling your family and friends there is probably going to be some inherent bias in there and proportion of INFJs will be higher.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I had my mom take the test and she got INFJ. After looking at the cognitive functions, it does seem like that fits her best. I haven't had my grandma and uncle from her side of the family take the test, but I suspect that my grandma is an ENFJ and that my uncle is an INFJ just like her. It's also possible that my aunt(my mom's sister) is also and ENFJ, though she could also be an ESFJ, perhaps...I dunno if this matters to you or not...

Reactions: vocalist

·
Registered
604 Posts
I don't think the relationship between the type of children and their parents is well-understood. I've seen some things on it but pretty speculative. I agree that the frequency applies if you are looking at random samples. But things affect the actual numbers you would encounter such as for instance context. You might reasonably expect to find higher proportions of INFJs in the places we congregate than in more general encounters. So maybe your chances increase slightly if you are at a church or library. But how the math would work out I have no idea.

·
Registered
89 Posts
haha I don't think just because we're supposed to be ultra rare means you won't find a few clustered together every so often... but I only have like one infj friend around here, maybe it's the area you live in?

·
Registered
304 Posts
All I can say is you are lucky, I only know one other INFJ - my piano teacher. Most of my family are sensors, hence why I find myself having conversations with just myself despite my parents both being in the room, my ESFJ mum tries to nod along while probably questioning my sanity :tongue:.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts