Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When have you suddenly felt that your ideas have no grounding whatsoever in reality? What triggered those feelings?

I worry that with all my philosophical aestheticizing I'm still missing the main point.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
When have you suddenly felt that your ideas have no grounding whatsoever in reality? What triggered those feelings?issing the main point.
I realise that most of my ideas aren't too grounded (I wouldn't go so far as to say they have no grounding whatsoever (is that even possible?)) in reality, but that doesn't bother me. To be incapable of considering possibilities regardless of your current preconceptions as to what is possible is to limit yourself (or is limiting (I don't mean to imply that there's a conscious choice in doing so)).

tl;dr: I'd rather have unrealistic/fanciful ideas than decide not to attempt having them/ dismiss them/ be incapable of having them.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Even if I can't realize, I think it's still good to keep them, you know, for myself. Keep that bit of abstraction inside your head, helps you realize other practical ideas. or not, whatever.
Just thinking of something that can't be grounded is what usually trigger this feelings. I rapidly think it can't be done once I think of it, but that doesn't bother me much, so I jump to other idea that can't be grounded, either. It's an infinite loop.

But I usually have ideas that can be grounded, too, but they're not as revolutionary as the abstract ones. Kind of sad, eh...

·
Registered
160 Posts
When have you suddenly felt that your ideas have no grounding whatsoever in reality? What triggered those feelings?

I worry that with all my philosophical aestheticizing I'm still missing the main point.
....wondering how many people have been through a Jungian mid-life crisis....I'm pretty sure I have....

I'm also becoming Jungian scholar at a rapid pace....I'm just pretty much eating up anything Jungian....if you are interested in some good Jung material...just ask me...

Sorry I digress....

What a fantastic question....I mean, like jeopardy...it isn't really worded properly...but I understand what you are trying to say...

Because...for me...when what you speak of happened....it wasn't really the ideas that I became aware of.....but the structure that contained the ideas.....that's how I would change your question.....

thoughts and ideas are just the little things that make up the whole....

On to your question......I guess I had a mid-life crisis....a dark night of the soul...where I started becoming aware that the world I knew was just sort of caving in...or dissolving around me suddenly....

The term mid-life crisis..is really inadequate to describe what happens....although its sort of that....its when you start to realize that you just can't sustain this world you live inside your head.....its just not the real thing...it just doesn't match up with what's real...I mean what's really real...its when your ego loses its power over you.

Thank God I became interested in Buddhism...it really helped me figure out the world around me....and Thank God I checked out an audio disk by Adyashanti about Awakening.....it really helped me figure things out...

Anyways...what a great question...thanks for posting it.

Reactions: Polymaniac

·
Registered
INTP
1,752 Posts
Story of my life. I'm not sure what triggers those feelings exactly but it seems to happen a lot. I guess I feel really disconnected from the real world a lot of times and even with all my research on random topics of interest, I know that there is so much more I still don't know.

Lately, I've been questioning all my sources of information rather heavily and I'm not sure what things I believe to be "true" are at moment. I'm living in a conceptual and theoretical world rather than the actual world, I guess.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm feeling a bit melodramatic today; apologies in advance for my histrionics.

The main point is that there is no main point. All you can do is point at the point you thought was the point and laugh.

... Point.
I feel that ultimately there is a main point, and that this point is we, the alive, and that it is most reasonable to discard whatever doesn't directly pertain to this point. Often, though, when one is asked for his idea of a point, he'll try to assign a point to man himself rather than point to man as the sole measure of all things. Man is in fact immeasurable, as meaning halts before him and goes no further. Nihilism and religion both stem from the same ground, that being the foggy domain behind man at which meaning can only so much as glimpse.

I realise that most of my ideas aren't too grounded (I wouldn't go so far as to say they have no grounding whatsoever (is that even possible?)) in reality, but that doesn't bother me. To be incapable of considering possibilities regardless of your current preconceptions as to what is possible is to limit yourself (or is limiting (I don't mean to imply that there's a conscious choice in doing so)).

tl;dr: I'd rather have unrealistic/fanciful ideas than decide not to attempt having them/ dismiss them/ be incapable of having them.
I understand that possibility is often all we can have. But I think it is also helpful to distinguish between what is idly possible and what is actually possible (this last, I admit, is a contradiction in terms). Some possibilities hold more ground than others because they can be adequated to some thing of interest, whereas others are merely wishful and inauthentic, the result of a society that squeezes us until we burst forth with our wishes.

I worry that my intellect is inadequate to the thing, and that I float uprooted among the things whose soil I used to share. But this itself is a fanciful idea. The reality is that I will always be grounded.

Reactions: Wolfrahm

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
When have you suddenly felt that your ideas have no grounding whatsoever in reality?
Suddenly? You must be young. ^_^

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I understand that possibility is often all we can have. But I think it is also helpful to distinguish between what is idly possible and what is actually possible (this last, I admit, is a contradiction in terms). Some possibilities hold more ground than others because they can be adequated to some thing of interest, whereas others are merely wishful and inauthentic, the result of a society that squeezes us until we burst forth with our wishes.
We could consider it in terms of the "actually possible" being more of a factor in the preservation of the species, and the "idly possible" being less so. Then the former is in effect little more than a glorified sense of self-preservation. This is my, arguably overly simplified, viewpoint at-least.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Suddenly? You must be young. ^_^
I am young, young enough not to have been able to accrue these feelings over a long period of time.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
The main point is that there is no main point. All you can do is point at the point you thought was the point and laugh.

... Point.

·
Banned
292 Posts
Reality? What reality? What might be reality for any number of years will cease to be reality after death. So, you could almost say that reality becomes not real to you, and since you can't prove that you're not the only real thing in reality, if it becomes not real, then it can't really be reality and if other people do exist then reality will become not real for them as well, showing that reality is only as real as it exists as reality to things existing in it.

I hope that was confusing.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
The trick is you don't want to form any floating abstractions or stolen concepts. Not that you can't form them just that if you find that it is true you need to reevaluate them and ground them within the context of all of your knowledge for them to be useful or correct.

“Stolen Concept,” Fallacy of

The “stolen concept” fallacy, first identified by Ayn Rand, is the fallacy of using a concept while denying the validity of its genetic roots, i.e., of an earlier concept(s) on which it logically depends.

“Philosophical Detection,”
Philosophy: Who Needs It, 22
When modern philosophers declare that axioms are a matter of arbitrary choice, and proceed to choose complex, derivative concepts as the alleged axioms of their alleged reasoning, one can observe that their statements imply and depend on “existence,” “consciousness,” “identity,” which they profess to negate, but which are smuggled into their arguments in the form of unacknowledged, “stolen” concepts.

“Axiomatic Concepts,”
Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology, 59–60
Hierarchy of Knowledge

Concepts have a hierarchical structure, i.e., . . . the higher, more complex abstractions are derived from the simpler, basic ones (starting with the concepts of perceptually given concretes).

Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology “Concepts of Consciousness,”
Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology, 32
[There is a] long conceptual chain that starts from simple, ostensive definitions and rises to higher and still higher concepts, forming a hierarchical structure of knowledge so complex that no electronic computer could approach it. It is by means of such chains that man has to acquire and retain his knowledge of reality.

“The Psycho-Epistemology of Art,”
The Romantic Manifesto, 18

Reactions: TaoDao

·
Registered
4 Posts
Stihl is the best option, believe me
I agree with you because I have had this brand of chainsaw for more than seven years and over the years everything works properly, there were no breakdowns, I am happy with the service. I chose this tool option on https://mitersawjudge.com/best-band-saw-reviews-buying-guide/ because here there is a detailed review and description of each chainsaw and selected excellent options at good and low prices. That's why I completely agree with you, this chainsaw is worth the money and if you buy it once, you will never regret it

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
3,356 Posts
As recent events show us reality is subjective for most people... theory is what we live by and physics what we would call the hard reality.. aspects of which may be supplemented by tools of technology to circumvent those limitations. But the mind is immaterial, we can recognize biological functions of the brain and associated chemicals of the body, the relevance of nature and nurture but a simple program it is not. . . spawning such concepts as ego or the soul. Most of us would instinctively avoid drowning if we could but the percentage dwindles with the greater distance between where we are and the surface may be. so, much realies on a leap of faith. . . even if using tried and true methods, not accounting for personal temperament, environment and other factors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts