Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a discussion with my manager today regarding my placement on the company's "talent grid." I'm currently viewed as a good job performer with low initiative. I'd like to improve this perception of me, if only because salary increases are slightly based upon this score...but I lack the initiative to do so (yes, the irony is killing me...).

Problem is, I feel like I have taken plenty of initiative. Against all impulses, and without prompting, I've offered my time and services for a couple of projects not associated with my job. Not sure what to do now. Any suggestions from the ISTPs out there?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Learn the meaning of irony?

Just make sure people realise you have done the extra things. Don't think just because you did it, people have noticed and you have been given credit. If worst comes to worst, just go to your manager and say "Look, I would love to improve my initiative, and having been doing things like x, y, and z for a while now. What other sorts of things can I do to help out." Done like this, the lack of iniative that requires you to ask for advice, quite often ends up in people thinking you have more. Now that is irony.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Unfortunately, this is common for ISTP.

A common ISTP trait is to work in bursts of focus and energy. We conserve our energy for short periods while we plan out our next move, and then when we launch into action we work faster than 4 people combined.

Often when we end up working for a Ji-type, they often view our periods of inaction as "laziness" or "lacking initiative." It's kind of a complete lack of understanding on their part.

Ti allows us to approach each task first in a stage where we take it apart in our minds, figure out the steps, potential hangups, and then come up with the best path of action. Then we suddenly attack the plan with all our energy.

Too bad DJArendee is retired, he could've shared horror stories from the military where he encountered this very thing.

I had the good fortune at my last job to work for an ENFP with high Te who totally got my work-style and left me alone.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Getting on a tangent here, but the definition of irony is: the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning. I think my use fits.
My apologies, he was making use of situation irony within the OP, and it was that which I was refering to. You are correct in your use of verbal irony.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Start following your impulses. When you think of something that would be a good idea related to the project you are on or whatever, step up and say what you are thinking and see how others respond. If there is a general look of interest then capitalise on it and make it happen.

Initiative is basically just not sitting around waiting for others to tell you what to do. Play to your strengths and just start following your impulses. You'll be seeing improvements (ISTP style ones) that can be made that others don't even consider. Get those ideas heard and leave it to the Js to figure out if your ideas are not going to work in the long run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts