Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is said that INTJs are independent thinkers. The ritual of taking on a husband's name is quite a controversial topic at the moment in my household.

How do you feel about the idea of changing your name at marriage?

How would you feel about your partner not wanting to take on your name?

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Grunt
22,850 Posts
My last name is cool. I wouldn't want to be a Smith or a Taylor.....no thanks.

He would have to be a little more special than the degenerates I have chosen to live with simply for the white dress alone...and a cool name.:tongue:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
My surname is very rare, but it also means you're somewhat marked and people ask if you're related to so-and-so.

If my partner didn't want to take my name I wouldn't be too fussed, although it's her fault if it confuses the eventual ankle biters we'd be sure to spawn.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I wouldn't change mine, I'm a male; also, I am the last male of my surname for some four generations. Be it not for my great great uncle's male children, I'd be the last direct male descendants of the Canadian [insert surname]s.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
My last name is cool. I wouldn't want to be a Smith or a Taylor.....no thanks.

He would have to be a little more special than the degenerates I have chosen to live with simply for the white dress alone...and a cool name.:tongue:
I think bethbomb has a nice ring to it...yeah, I know, you're tempted.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
How do you feel about the idea of changing your name at marriage?
I don't believe in the concept of marriage, therefore that wouldn't be an issue.

How would you feel about your partner not wanting to take on your name?
See above.

To offer a solution though, some people make up another last name. For example, let's say your last name is Smith and his is Williams, they may combine it such as Willsmith. Another option is coming up with something entirely different that the both of you agree on. Something that doesn't even relate to both of your last names. I'd say the creative option is always a fun and a unique choice, depending on how open you both are to the idea.

·
Registered
230 Posts
When I get married I do want to take my partner's name but I want to keep my own too, So i'd just add it on the end and hyphenate it....no fuss no muss :p I think that's the easiest way around that.

·
Registered
230 Posts
That just smacks of indecisiveness :crazy:
Why do you say that? I'm not indecisive about it...i've made the decision to have both :) It's a way to retain my own independence and also incorporate his name too.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Why do you say that? I'm not indecisive about it...i've made the decision to have both :) It's a way to retain my own independence and also incorporate his name too.
Presumably the theoretical "he" will be consulted? :unsure:

Good luck finding a guy who'll agree to that anyway, I expect most of them wouldn't fancy a written ball-and-chain.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't care. And neither would my family. And I'm not going to get married either. So what I'm writing here is pointless.

.... Carry on citizen.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
I don't mind taking my partner's name if he has a nice last name. I don't have to worry about my family name disintegrating because I have male cousins. I wouldn't want my partner to take my name. I would take his for the marriage but I would use my maiden for my own career achievements.

I have an indecisive outlook on marriage. I believe if I found the right person, it could work out.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Presumably the theoretical "he" will be consulted? :unsure:

Good luck finding a guy who'll agree to that anyway, I expect most of them wouldn't fancy a written ball-and-chain.
Why should it be his decision that I just take his name? Surely since i'm expected to just give mine up the decision is mostly mine...besides I would never want to marry someone who would get worked up over whether I take his surname...there's more important things in life!

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Many women choose the hyphenated option as well, there are also many men out there who don't mind this, just because you don't fancy it, doesn't mean jack shit, thank goodness all men are not like you, fancy that.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Why should it be his decision that I just take his name? Surely since i'm expected to just give mine up the decision is mostly mine...besides I would never want to marry someone who would get worked up over whether I take his surname...there's more important things in life!
A double-barrelled name is almost always mutual, in fact I've yet to see a case where it isn't.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
It doesn't matter to me if she would take my name or not.

I would want the kids to have my name though.

·
Registered
230 Posts
A double-barrelled name is almost always mutual, in fact I've yet to see a case where it isn't.
So is the woman completely dropping her name and taking her partner's name! My partner wouldn't be taking mine so it's irrelevant...

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
So is the woman completely dropping her name and taking her partner's name! My partner wouldn't be taking mine so it's irrelevant...
I got the impression you meant a standard double-barrelled name; A+B for both.

Two different surnames, interesting. probably confuse the hell out of people mind you.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I got the impression you meant a standard double-barrelled name; A+B for both.

Two different surnames, interesting. probably confuse the hell out of people mind you.
I already have two surnames but I plan on dropping one and taking my partner's. I think because I will hopefully be well established in my carreer that dropping my name would be a bad business decision, that's the purpose of it..not to be domineering!

1 - 20 of 89 Posts