Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently read the book Tuesdays with Morrie. If you don't know, the book is essentially about Mitch Albom's experience with his college professor who is dying of ALS. ALS (or Lou Gerhig's disease) slowly stops your use of your body. In Morrie, it started in the legs and worked up. So throughout the book, Morrie can do less and less, but he becomes more and more grateful for what he can still do. He doesn't let himself feel self pity for more than a few minutes each morning, and devotes to the rest of his life to other people. He uses his time left to teach people that they are missing the important things in life, and that most people go through life "half-asleep."

So my question, what things in life do you take for granted? The ability to walk? To go to the bathroom without help? Simple things like that. Also, are you where you want to be in your life, and if not, then why not? Are you going though life "half-asleep".

Side note: Not entirely sure why I am making this thread, just felt obligated to contribute being as I rarely do. :S

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I had to read that book last weekend for a class. It was the first book I've read since middle school. I sure do hate reading books. Interesting book. That Morrie guy was super extraverted.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I recently read the book Tuesdays with Morrie. If you don't know, the book is essentially about Mitch Albom's experience with his college professor who is dying of ALS. ALS (or Lou Gerhig's disease) slowly stops your use of your body. In Morrie, it started in the legs and worked up. So throughout the book, Morrie can do less and less, but he becomes more and more grateful for what he can still do. He doesn't let himself feel self pity for more than a few minutes each morning, and devotes to the rest of his life to other people. He uses his time left to teach people that they are missing the important things in life, and that most people go through life "half-asleep."

So my question, what things in life do you take for granted? The ability to walk? To go to the bathroom without help? Simple things like that. Also, are you where you want to be in your life, and if not, then why not? Are you going though life "half-asleep".

Side note: Not entirely sure why I am making this thread, just felt obligated to contribute being as I rarely do. :S
As most others stated, I suppose I do take most for granted, but try to remind myself to be grateful for it. When I hear my brother or sister complain about how much homework they have or how lame their computer is, I often take a halt and remind them that they're in a way better shape than most other people.

I think it's a general problem that people are so pessimistic about their life situation. Your current car isn't top-notch, you save for a new one, you buy it, its air condition could be better. People don't realize that everything they possess is a gift and sadly, it has to be taken away to open their eyes to what they had.

I'm not where I want to be in life, because I don't feel like I'm making a personal difference. I'm taking baby steps towards it at the moment, but you can say I'm "half-asleep" until I've taken the jump. I'm certain that a normal life with a computer job and no additional content is not going to make me happy.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
I think that Niss was right we are not grateful for things until we lose them. I have lost my sense of smell when my nose was so congested that i yawned every five minutes (you yawn when you need more oxygen in your lungs) but eventually it came back when i spent an hour and a half cleaning my nose so now i appreciate smell. I lost the ability to walk when i lost the ability to see both of those things came back after i got the irritant removed and now i appreciate both of those things. I lost the ability to write for a time when i was in the fourth grade from excessive writing the pain still comes back but it has lost its former sting. I used to be ungrateful for a helping hand but after being beaten around like a mop by my older brother i am grateful for every ounce of assistance i receive in any issue. I have lost most things for a short amount of time but it was only that amount of time that it took for me to be grateful for what i have.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I think the biggest thing people take for granted is the time we have on this earth, in our flesh and blood, with a freewill. Assuming you believe our souls our eternal, the very, very small fraction of time we spend on this earth determines where we spend eternal life. I'm guilty of this one myself.

And honestly, once we can accept that for what it is, everything else will fall into place.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
I think the biggest thing people take for granted is the time we have on this earth, in our flesh and blood, with a freewill. Assuming you believe our souls our eternal, the very, very small fraction of time we spend on this earth determines where we spend eternal life. I'm guilty of this one myself.

And honestly, once we can accept that for what it is, everything else will fall into place.
Amen brother. I descirbed some of the affilctions that made me appreciate the things most people take for granted and i forgot to mention that. I study war for life and it used never to effect me until i put myself in their shoes and i understood the stone and concrete men are made out of but also the paper and sticks we are made of. Just as easily as you could live with a minie ball in your shoulder just as easily you could die from it.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
We do take everything for granted from how to enjoy life to appreciating little things. The only time we realise the worth of things is when we are about to lose/ have lost those priviledges.

Take something as simple as being able to see the beautiful world around you. See the beautiful waterfalls, feel the soft touch of flowers or listen to the soft chirping of birds in the morning. Ask a handicapped person with lack of these senses and you might find the worth of such.

I remember a story I heard ages ago. An uneducated farmer saw a bag of little pebbles on the ground. He picked it up. Saw a crow destroying the vegetation in the farm. He threw those stones from the bag at the crow to scare him away. Later, people came around asking him if he had seen a bag of diamonds lying around. It was then he realised what the bag's worth was and cursed himself for not realising its worth before.
Moral- Life is just as valuable. Every moment is like a piece of diamond which we happen to be wasting by not appreciating its worth.

To OP: Well done for staring such a meaningful and deep discussion. Hopefully, a few of us might just begin to appreciate a few more things in life.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts