Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a story and then a point. So stick with it for a sec.

So, recently my store manager went away for a week, for training on a new system that's being implemented into our store. While she was away, she set up an in-store competition amongst the employees, broken up into teams, with the incentive of whichever team wins getting a giftcard of their choosing. I'm guessing it was to make sure we didn't slack while she was away.

Basically, she set up a scoring system where certain in-store tasks and accomplishments gave a certain number of points. The team with the most points at the end of the week wins and gets the giftcards. At first I didnt care too much about it, but my teammate told me he'd give me his giftcard if we won, so then I became interested.

I went through the rules and point system to figure out how we could win and it wad completely flawed. It relied mostly on hours given(at a retail store) and random factors such as sales(my type of store is a bit different than standard retail, sales are mostly out of our control), more than actual completed tasks. No one else seemed to be too concerned about this other than my teammate.

So here we are at the end of the week and my team lost by 32 points even though we beat them in tasks. The other team had 4 closing shifts more than mine and thus, better sales. Not to mention one dude had 3 more shifts than me period. So we lost and Im out some useful money(was gonna go for gas) because of a stupid scoring system.

So heres my point. I just spent the last 20-30 minutes dissecting the results and thats not including the time I spent before the competition finding all the flaws in the scoring system, which wasnt a ton, but it was enough for one of my co workers to tell me to basically stop thinking about it. Have any of you guys found yourself in this situation, where to most people you take things, "too far" or, "think too much" or you cant, "just drop it?"

Ive found myself here multiple times in my life. Where I seem to dig too deep and most people would rather drop it. To me it doesnt seem like Im thinking too much, its just natural curiosity/inquiry. And its not with everything, but when Im interested in something I dig all the way to the bottom and out the other side. Can you guys relate and does it ever bug you when people tell you to "just drop it" or "forget about it?"

·
Registered
109 Posts
People tell me that all the time, likes its a problem of mine, where I'm not fully convinced it is. in fact I'm kinda doing that right now. Something about not letting go till I have the answers I need... things have to be fixed. sometimes it can end up hurting people directly or indirectly.... slowly learning to be careful of how I do it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I do this and I kind of just assume that people who have a problem with it are stupid or shallow lol. There are a lot of scams out there and only people thinking about them avoid them. When you hear stories about people ending up in ridiculous situations its probably someone that goes around telling people to stop thinking so much.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I would probably be doing the same.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
No surprise that others don't appreciate the way ISTPs think through problems. After all, our process is as much a "waste of time" to them as their processes for handling challenges is to us.

The same people who harp on you for seeking a solution to the scoring system will expend as much energy primping and preening to impress others, or circle the drain for weeks trying to fix irreparable social conflicts.

Brush off their comments, as long as your task isn't interfering with your ability to do your job, or other aspects of your life.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I think most other people don't understand the joy of understanding and solving a problem, and so they think that this sort of manic behavior is unhealthy and causes us stress, whereas the opposite is usually true because it is our form of taking control of our lives to the extent that we can.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I do, unfortunately since most of my jobs require human interaction I read people like a book flat out sometimes when they want something from me. I also have little patience for people wanting to throw weight around.

I don't imagine it taking things "too far" however, rules are meant to be there for a reason and I like working within an established system to create something amazing or produce something cool.

·
Read Only
88 Posts
@MrSmashem bahaha I relate to this xD
I've spent waaaay too much time thinking about college structures, course designs, grading distributions etc. etc. and I get so fucking angry each time I think there is an injustice towards me xD But again, what is life. Life is completely illogical, insane, batshit crazy, so I gave up. You simply cannot perceive all the variables involved in a situation, and we as human beings have biases, etc. So I am far from being right in every case. I know couple fellow ISTPs, and despite having strong Ti's, there are a lot of situations where we arrive at different conclusions.
As far as "drop it" goes, I rarely follow through this advice. Because this is my natural process = need. Again, it is important to know where to stop. I usually stop when something else captures my attention, or I've derived a coherent working theory, or I am bored. Or I am locked inside my mind, chewing an unsolvable situation, then I have to remind myself that it is unsolvable, and I need to go outside and breathe some fresh air. Maybe the whole situation is not even worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.