Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Read Only
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello loves,

I'm stuck in the glorious place of determining whether of not I'm an extroverted Fe-using INFJ or if I may actually be an ENFJ. Who knows....research has been tough. Anyway that leads me to my question:

As an INFJ, how have you experienced Inferior Se? Do you have personal stories or examples of how this inferior function has manifested itself in your life?

(Also, if you happen to know or have any insight into Inferior Ti, that which ENFJ's have, I would love to hear those stories as well. And if anyone can compare Inferior Se vs. Inferior Ti anecdotally, you get a super gold star!!).

I know for myself I can be incredibly impulsive, making rash decisions and spur of the moment thinking that I may or may not regret later when I reflect back on it. I'm also very sports-inclined. My memory is crap and I forget things like making coffee, forgetting it, reheating, forgetting, reheating again, etc. Not sure if that has anything to do with this, but what the hey. ^_^

Thanks so much for your help! <333

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Personally I have noticed that my Ni-Fe-Ti-Se developed right in this order. When I was a kid I lived in my own world, started my Ni musings and intuition, then as I grew up Fe helped me to be less apathetic (Ni by itself can be emotionally neutral, abstract) and understand other people's values and perspectives. Then Ti came in to structure all the chaos and abstraction (I've noticed I was pretty abstract sometimes in my writing lol). Then I'm developing Se, which comes in an urge to be more in touch with the outside world. Read more news and such.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I have seen it described as manifesting through indulging in sensual pleasures, but to an extreme and uncontrollable level (such as binge on food,then overly strict diet, then over exercise,then doing nothing). It can manifest as having very little motivation to physically do anything. It can also manifest as not having attention in the present world, being so far removed from reality.
I think Jung described hypochondrial tendencies.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
I am the worst person I know at remembering people's face. Even if I meet a beautiful girl who really attracts me I still forget her face (that's sad) in like 15 minutes... I am not aware of the surrounding environment at all. In this moment I can't find other examples :th_sur:
Me too! Didn't relate that to Se before, but yeah, I also am so bad at it that I feel bad sometimes, as I might walk past someone I've met and not say anything since I can't recognize the person... I usually take some days interacting with someone to be able to recognize them.

There was some study about people having a hard time recognizing people's face from different races, and I've wondered if it has to do with my mixed blood.

And another thing I just remembered now... I also suck at remembering the details and references of things. I can retain the concept/idea of things but forget the exact details. For example, I can remember that studies about x or y were made but can't remember where I've read about them lol.

·
Master
1,886 Posts
Inferior Se feels like jumping off the ledge of Ni and into the unknown of the physical world. It makes the user very prone to forgetting/not noticing physical details, being awkward/clumsy with their body, over indulging in sensations (binge eating, drug use, etc.), and acting physically when pushed too far.

Inferior Functions are irratic in their useage as the user will rarely choose to use it over their dominant function. It is the exact opposite of the dominant function and thus it is a total reversal of how the user typically finds their path through life. This reversal of perception or judging is what causes the clumsy/ awkward actions, since the neural paths in our brain are not strong for the inferior function, (think of a drinking straw vs a fire hose).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sometimes up I don't pick up physical details of objects or people. I'll only remember a general image and a vibe/feeling. I've had this pointed out to me repeatedly during conversations ("How could you miss that? It was so obvious!") However I'm much better at recalling speech. Practicing a balanced lifestyle has taken work as well. Over-restriction then over-indulgence, it's a vicious cycle. I'm in a good place now but it's not always easy to deal with.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Me too! Didn't relate that to Se before, but yeah, I also am so bad at it that I feel bad sometimes, as I might walk past someone I've met and not say anything since I can't recognize the person... I usually take some days interacting with someone to be able to recognize them.

There was some study about people having a hard time recognizing people's face from different races, and I've wondered if it has to do with my mixed blood.

And another thing I just remembered now... I also suck at remembering the details and references of things. I can retain the concept/idea of things but forget the exact details. For example, I can remember that studies about x or y were made but can't remember where I've read about them lol.
Yea, Ni is like a "filter", it cuts off everything which is not fundamental or essential for the big picture :smile: My Se often comes out when I am stressed or I just want to relax and live in the moment. It is pretty much "chilidish" as Jung would say.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Don't know if this is Se or not, but I'm starting to slowly come to grips with being, well, me. I get outside of my own head long enough to actually look at my body, consciously realize that it's my body, and watch it move when I'm working out or going for a walk or swimming or something. Watching myself swim, for instance, is like watching a machine work; the rhythm of it all, the interaction of everything as I propel myself through the water, impresses me quite a bit. Other times, I'll get caught up in watching nature, especially animals, and just lose myself in observing them interact with one another.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think that inferior Se most manifests in my life as a lack of seeing the details of a plan until I'm actually doing it. Like, I'm a writer, but plotting does very little to help my writing process because I don't think in detailed plans. With Ni I have the overall idea of the story. With Ti, I know the events that must happen, the cause and effect of why the beginning leads to the end result. But I don't see the details of it untill I'm actually writing a scene, which is why I always write chronologically, and when I'm writing a scene, I come up with the details of the story and I know what details are the right ones to bring my idea into an actual storyline because I reflect on my Ni framework all the time. The details are the very last thing that comes to me, which is why I don't even need to write my stuff down untill I'm writing the story itself, because it's really impossible to forget what Ni and Ti make together (Ideas are connected through logic so you don't actually have to remember any of it).

Also, because inferior Se doesn't see the details, INFJs see multiple roads to the same goal and have trouble telling which one is the most efficent. It could even manifest as literally as not caring which way you go to school/work because all the roads lead to the same place (Ni) and they all are as long as the others (Ti). However, there's a lot of cracks in the road in one of the ways, one of them is more crowded than the others, one has more traffic lights than the others... these are the details the INFJ ignored because of inferior Se. :D In the same scenario the ENFJ will be aware of most of these details, but their logic fails. They'll avoid the cracks but don't realize that they're taking a longer road by doing so.

The inferior function often manifests as things you wish to do but have a hard time mastering, because it's outside your comfort zone. Like my ENFJ mother wants to write, and do research on education, and design houses and gardens and furnish our home all the time but she struggles with the Ti, the logic of it all which is why she often gives up before the end. She buys furniture that appeal to her, that fit her vision of how our home should look like, but she can't arrange them in a way they would all fit in a room. She draws a really beautiful design for a house but then it turns out the proportions don't mach. She has amazing views and special knowledge on educational systems but when it comes to writing about it she doesn't even know where to start. She gets an idea for a picture book, she knows what the message is, and how the illustrations look like but she never gets to the storyline part.

For me, INFJ, it's Se stuff that I struggle with, the step by step execution. I want to make music, I have the lyrics and the melody playing in my head but I never get it down on paper because I never learned any instrument so well that I'd have the energy to play more than chords with it (and even with them I'm lazy as hell). I want to get better at ballet, I know exactly how it's supposed to look like and I get the logic behind the routines but it takes me longer than others to actually... work it into my body, it still happens that something finally "clicks" and I realize I've been practicing some move the wrong way my entire life. I want to start a channel on youtube, I'd totally have things to talk about an my mind won't stop "playing" videos I'd want to make in my head but it's unbearably hard for me to talk to a freaking camera by myself so... I haven't started though I've wanted to for at least three years. In general I'd want to do so. much. more. everything. But all my Se energy basically goes to one creative thing (since writing really uses Se to the minimum): drawing. I basically have to put all of that energy into one place to not suck at it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Inferior Functions are irratic in their useage as the user will rarely choose to use it over their dominant function. It is the exact opposite of the dominant function and thus it is a total reversal of how the user typically finds their path through life. This reversal of perception or judging is what causes the clumsy/ awkward actions, since the neural paths in our brain are not strong for the inferior function, (think of a drinking straw vs a fire hose).
I would compare that to a rarely traveled mud path vs a well maintained busy highway.

The mud path is the least developed and the one hardest/slowest to traverse.
The highway is the most busy with high accessibility and travel speed (Minus the traffic of course).

In real life, if the mud path is used more often, people will be likely to upgrade it, making it better.

Back to topic, I have read Inferior Se be described as not being so attentive to surrounds, overindulgence, overall less drive towards/clumsiness in physical activities. So basically take the strengths of Se and flip it upside down.

So for inferior Ti, you could take the strengths of Ti and flip it upside down.

At least that's from I have read. Never really observed from an INXJ that I am aware of before.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have seen it described as manifesting through indulging in sensual pleasures, but to an extreme and uncontrollable level (such as binge on food,then overly strict diet, then over exercise,then doing nothing). It can manifest as having very little motivation to physically do anything. It can also manifest as not having attention in the present world, being so far removed from reality.
I think Jung described hypochondrial tendencies.
That is my experience with Se. There is no self preservation for me

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I agree with Winegums. And I also think that being involved in dance and gymnastics as a kid really helped me because I went through those years more gracefully in doing so. I also made friends that way. I’m past that now and getting clumsy and lonely lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts