Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I guess I just want to better understand how people think, and I don't want to go all over the internet for vagueness by experts.

Contradictions are fine. Just talk about yourself..(you do enjoy that, right). How do you think, feel? What annoys you, what do you enjoy?

·
Registered
319 Posts
This whole sub-forum is for people to talk about their personality type. If you're interested in something particular, perhaps you should scroll through the threads to find what you're looking for.

·
Banned
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Meh! I'm too lazy. lol. If you don't want to post here you don't have too....

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well, if you stay on this thread long enough, I think you will find that INFJs aren't going to hand you who they are on a silver platter. It is something that you have to work for. Not everyone is eagerly willing to self disclose at every available opportunity.

·
Banned
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then don't give me a silver platter, but I wouldn't mind a wooden plate.

Reactions: Yikes

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I don't necessarily enjoy talking about myself though in some cases I will. I use my mind to think, my emotional heart to feel. Poorly thought out questions annoy me. Articulate thought-provoking questions I enjoy.

·
Banned
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So then let me ask a different question:

Let's say you work for someone. Let's call this person your boss. Does your boss have to be competent for you to put up with him? Or does he have to be nice? Or both? Or do you have to be your own boss?

Can people handle power over other people without being corrupted? Are people naturally evil, or just make mistakes sometimes?

Reactions: Blindfolded Miles

·
Registered
319 Posts

Let's say you work for someone. Let's call this person your boss. Does your boss have to be competent for you to put up with him? Or does he have to be nice? Or both? Or do you have to be your own boss?

Can people handle power over other people without being corrupted? Are people naturally evil, or just make mistakes sometimes?

My boss has to be competent otherwise I find it hard to respect him or her. It's not necessary that they be nice, but they have to respect me. I need to feel valued or I will find some other place that will appreciate and understand my potential.

I think it depends upon the type of power you are referring to. Generally, I do think power corrupts. I think it's a dark pull--a pull that makes one feel special, influential, important. Things I believe we all, at one time or another, strive to be.

At the root of it, I think people's actions are generally driven by valid reasons. It's hard for me to consider someone evil when all they do is act on their limited perspective. I know when I am acting immorally because I feel it, and it tears me apart. What tears me apart may not be what affects someone else. If they are being torn apart while acting immorally and they continue to act immorally, then I think they have convinced themselves it's worth it, and I'm not sure I can consider that evil.
As for the people who feel no remorse when doing terrible things, that lack of empathy/remorse is something they're born with, and it's hard for me to fault them when it's out of their control. Does this make sense?
I think I can sum that up by saying that there are no evil people and only evil actions--actions that harm other living things.

·
Banned
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes. So do you always strive to find the reasons behind others behavior, or do you just assume that there's a valid reason behind what they're doing? How do you find i f they have a valid reason for something or not, and have you ever been wrong?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I seek to understand.

Well, to them it's always valid. That's the thing. People don't do things for no reason--randomly. People have reasons that make sense to them. I'm not saying they always make sense to me, but they always make sense to them. Valid is not equatable to correct.

Let me illustrate this. Genocide. People who commit genocide have convinced themselves that they are working towards the greater good. To them, they have a valid reason for doing so.
Racism. People also convince themselves that they have reasons for believing that certain races of people are inferior.

Do I agree with these things? No. Do people, through their limited perspective, have valid reasons for their behavior? In their mind, yes.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Does your boss have to be competent for you to put up with him?
Competent in their role, yes. Competent in handling my role, not necessarily.

Or does he have to be nice?
Nice can be an advantage but it isn't sufficient on its own.

This is getting closer to an ideal.

Or do you have to be your own boss?
This can be a bit of a paradox. If I'm my own boss, how am I getting clients that aren't going to wield some power over me?

Can people handle power over other people without being corrupted?
Yes, few have managed to pull this off.

Are people naturally evil, or just make mistakes sometimes?
People tend to make mistakes. Rarely have I seen someone that evil right from birth.

·
Registered
49 Posts

I would be interested to find out what you think? My guess (based on the one ENTP I know) is that you might prefer a competent boss? But correct me if I'm wrong.

For me I value both niceness and competency. I would want my supervisor to be both nice and competent just like I would prefer it if a mate were both smart and attractive. Or wouldn't it depend on the job? Some jobs are more human-services related and it's important to be nice and personable, but for others competency might be more significant. Niceness could be a form of competency in a job with a lot of human interaction--like the job where I work (a school--and public relations is a big part of that).

I don't know--do you think people are basically evil or not? A lot of it depends on worldview. According to my worldview people do have a fallen nature and are susceptible to temptations like power.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

I could handle a boss who is nice and tries to do the best at his/her role even if he/she isn't the most competent. I would respect a boss that is competent, even if they're a little rough around the edges and not really too nice. If that boss was not nice in a way that meant he/she embarrassed his/her employees or was disrespectful to them, I would lose respect for that boss.

I think people can handle authority over other people as long as they realize having power over people doesn't make them better than those people and actually makes them obligated to serve those people. I think having less power and having checks and balances makes you less likely to be corrupted. Also I would say people who long to have power and influence, even with good intentions, are more likely to be corrupted by power than those who don't have that longing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts