Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm fairly new on this forum in that I haven't posted much. Anyways, based on some of the responses I've gotten here, I think I'm an INFP. I wanted to know if any of you portray some of the more extroverted and non-stereotypical INFP traits.

-I'm more of a talker than a listener. Once I've gotten comfortable in an atmosphere, I always have something to say.
-I wouldn't say I'm very reserved. At first, I'm pretty quiet and I feel awkward, but if and when I feel comfortable, I become a bit of a social butterfly.
-New people? Fine. New settings? Fine. New people and new places at once? Not comfortable!
-I love being the center of attention a lot of times. Only when I'm in comfortable situations, though, and speaking about topics I care about/am comfortable with.
-I share my ideas freely. I often think when I'm speaking. (Though I'm probably a better writer.)
-I can be described as a people person. I'm good at talking to people, and I enjoy inspiring them.

The key here is comfort. I have to feel like I'm in a safe, accepting, and not-too-awkward environment. It takes a little time to feel this way. (I think this is why I'm an INFP, also because I'm much more fond of small groups, I don't like small talk that much, I prefer current relationships over making new ones, and I need time to recharge myself.)

Is there anyone else who identifies with any of these? Or am I just an ENFP in disguise? :tongue:

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'd say it depends which personality type you identify with (not what others tell you) :). Ultimately, people are on a continuum of personality so I don't think persons of any type should be identical...but, instead, similar. It's perfectly reasonable in my mind to have 'traits' of extroversion and still identify as an introvert.

I think I am between an INFP and ENFP as well (and have been told so...). I can be talkative in the right environment. I've been described as a 'people person' and a sociable person.

Yet, there are also some traits that I don't identify with--namely being more of talker than a listener, sharing ideas freely and liking to be the centre of attention. (In *most* situations I think I prefer to 'feel out' the environment so to speak before I contribute).

I could also see others in a similar position thinking they are extroverts. Then again, I often question my type so you're not alone at least ;).

One thing I've noticed though (from reading about the distinction and from friends) is that it can depend on a person's perspective toward introversion. Do you feel comfortable being called an introvert?

Anyway, I'm curious to know more @themightyfetus. What are some more things that make you feel you are an INFP? Which type feels more like 'you'?

·
Banned
678 Posts
There's no rush in typing yourself. I'd take some time to read up about the theory behind it all and then use tests as a guide to discover more about yourself. I don't view this whole typing thing as a box, but rather as a tool to navigate my inner space and it's helped me express concepts that have always existed in that space just outside of language for me. Keep what works, drop what doesn't and keep questioning.

·
Registered
993 Posts
socializing has nothing to do with anything really

if you want to know if you are in extrovert then ask yourself this question

is interacting with others a necessity to you? if so then you might be an extrovert.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@jilleh88 I would be fine with being called an introvert! I have no bad view of introversion at all, if that's what you're asking. :) In a lot of ways, I wish I was more introverted than I already am, as an ambivert.

I have always oscillated between introversion and extroversion. When I was young, it was almost a yearly thing. One year I'd be boisterous and talkative, another I'd be more reserved and sensitive. Typically though, when I was in my early child, I was much more introverted. I became extroverted in later elementary school. I took the MBTI test then (I was too young though) and got ESFP. Late middle school and early high school I became introverted again, got INFP reliably. Now, I believe I'm a balance of the two. Tests have told me INFP and ENFP.
My F has always been my strongest preference by far. I don't know if that's indicative of Fi dominance.
My close group of friends always thinks I'm an extrovert, though they're all big introverts themselves. People who aren't in my circle think I'm introverted. :laughing:

I actually made a whole long list of reasons for each. :p

Argument for INFP
During childhood:
-I was a cautious child. I didn't walk or ride bikes until later than most. I was never a daredevil of any sort.
-I was also, at times, a bit shy when I was little. I had trouble making friends at one point, so I had to be in a "lunch bunch" group. (The group was trying to teach friendship making skills.)
-At recess, I often played alone. I skipped around the playground like it was my little dream paradise. I actually preferred indoor recess so I could draw or write stories.
-I believe my Fi was pretty developed for my age. I journaled about my place in the world and who I was. I remember writing about the distress I felt about being "meaner than usual."
-I was described as easygoing, sensitive, and a peacemaker. I often got the short straw of my family.
Now:
-I dislike small talk--the weather, what classes I'm taking, the monotony of day-to-day life.
-I avoid conversing with strangers. It makes me uncomfortable.
-Of stranger interaction, I dread most the conversations with manicurists or barbers. (You can't escape that way!)
-After prolonged socializing with people I'm not that close to, I feel the need to get away and end the interaction.
-I'm often very quiet at first (teachers have confirmed this). I then open up after a bit of time.
-I can get overstimulated (HSP)
-Small group discussions are preferable to large group discussions.
-I often get energy from being by myself.
-Sometimes I'm energized simply by thinking about who I am, or being myself--whether that means being alone or with other people.

Argument for ENFP
During childhood:
-Some years I was quite boisterous, and got in trouble for talking too much or going off on too many tangents.
-I enjoyed performing for others.
-I could be very dramatic, showy, and animated.
-I tended to blurt things out.
Now:
-A lot of times I really do enjoy the spotlight. I love public speaking and seminars when I'm able to express my views, feelings, and creativity.
-Around people I'm comfortable with, mostly my closest circle, I often dominate the conversation.
-I often get a lot of my energy from being with my circle, or in seminars/public speaking where I can express my viewpoints.
-I'm often dramatic.
-I'm able to get on well with almost anyone. I'm good at talking to people.
-I think out loud a lot, share my ideas, and ask others for input.
-I have a strong need to change the world. I'm usually easygoing or lazy, but when I really care about something, I pull my act together and really get sh*t done (is that Te?).

Sorry, that was pretty long! :p Thanks if you read that far!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
socializing has nothing to do with anything really

if you want to know if you are in extrovert then ask yourself this question

is interacting with others a necessity to you? if so then you might be an extrovert.
Yes, it is a necessity--but I also think it's a necessity for most people. Nobody can be left alone in a cave for the rest of their lives. Nobody is a complete extrovert or introvert--such a man would be in a lunatic asylum, as Carl Jung said. :)

Reactions: jilleh88

·
Registered
993 Posts
Yes, it is a necessity--but I also think it's a necessity for most people. Nobody can be left alone in a cave for the rest of their lives. Nobody is a complete extrovert or introvert--such a man would be in a lunatic asylum, as Carl Jung said. :)
yes however if you are dominate introvert then you can be alone all the time with absolute no problem or fatigue/ feelings of having energy sucked out of you .

like i have been alone for a almost 2 years without social interactions. (mostly alone, besides my parents but they are usually at work most of the week.)

if interacting with other is a NECESSITY then you might be an extrovert.

good luck :)

try this test
http://www.thepowerofintroverts.com/about-the-book/quiet-quiz-are-you-an-introvert/

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes however if you are dominate introvert then you can be alone all the time with absolute no problem or fatigue/ feelings of having energy sucked out of you .

like i have been alone for a almost 2 years without social interactions. (mostly alone, besides my parents but they are usually at work most of the week.)

if interacting with other is a NECESSITY then you might be an extrovert.

good luck :)

try this test
Quiet Quiz: Are You an Introvert or an Extrovert? - By Susan Cain
The test gave me I. Though I've taken it before and I think it gave me I/E.

·
Banned
678 Posts
I can relate to a lot of what you said above, but not all of it. I'd say a lot of your arguments for ENFP could equally apply to INFPs. There's a sticky at the top of the forum on working out your type, have you read it? I recommend it :)

·
Registered
993 Posts
The test gave me I. Though I've taken it before and I think it gave me I/E.
hmmm then you might be an I

the thing about tests, is that you have to answer truthfully.

for example :if i answered with my beliefs (what i believe/ want it to be) then i'd probably be a different type.

thing about it is that you have to answer them truthfully.

like you can't have a biased thinking. ( do you want to be an I?)

if your type has changed before then that prob means you have put some sort of belief( how you WANT it to be, instead of answering it truthfully ( how it really is) ) in when take the test.

now i don't know if you answered it truthfully or not, but if you are still in doubt, then take the quiz again and this time take my advice ( search deep inside your heart ) and find out how you really are inside.

NOTE: since you already have a biased thinking ( that you are I or want to be I) you have to be extra true to yourself.

when i took the PerC cognitive functions test i had the mindset that i was an INTP( result from other sites) however when i got the results i discovered what i really was an "INFP"

that's the perfect example of being true. i had the mindset that i was an INTP ( so there was no biased) therefore i could answer it truthfully.

try to have no bias at all, (even though bias has already been established.)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmmm then you might be an I

the thing about tests, is that you have to answer truthfully.

for example :if i answered with my beliefs (what i believe/ want it to be) then i'd probably be a different type.

thing about it is that you have to answer them truthfully.

like you can't have a biased thinking. ( do you want to be an I?)

if your type has changed before then that prob means you have put some sort of belief( how you WANT it to be, instead of answering it truthfully ( how it really is) ) in when take the test.

now i don't know if you answered it truthfully or not, but if you are still in doubt, then take the quiz again and this time take my advice ( search deep inside your heart ) and find out how you really are inside.

NOTE: since you already have a biased thinking ( that you are I or want to be I) you have to be extra true to yourself.

when i took the PerC cognitive functions test i had the mindset that i was an INTP( result from other sites) however when i got the results i discovered what i really was an "INFP"

that's the perfect example of being true. i had the mindset that i was an INTP ( so there was no biased) therefore i could answer it truthfully.

try to have no bias at all, (even though bias has already been established.)
Where is the PerC functions test? I tried finding it but only got other links.

I do believe I'm being true to myself. A lot of it also depends on my current mood or mindset. :happy:

·
Registered
993 Posts
Argument for ENFP
During childhood:
-Some years I was quite boisterous, and got in trouble for talking too much or going off on too many tangents.
Now:
-A lot of times I really do enjoy the spotlight. I love public speaking and seminars when I'm able to express my views, feelings, and creativity.
-Around people I'm comfortable with, mostly my closest circle, I often dominate the conversation.
-I often get a lot of my energy from being with my circle, or in seminars/public speaking where I can express my viewpoints.
-I'm often dramatic.
-I have a strong need to change the world. I'm usually easygoing or lazy, but when I really care about something, I pull my act together and really get sh*t done (is that Te?).

honestly i just read this and all of this hints that you might be an ISFP

stuff like blurting thing out definitely a sign of Se. and since you say you happen to be introverted ISFP seems to fit perfectly .

think out loud...... living in the moment..... very strong likely ISFP.

i advise you to take a look at ISFP , see if you can relate. :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ne - Fi - Ni - Si - Fe - Ti - Se - Te

I might be an ENFP after all. I think a lot of this is influenced by Enneagram as well. I'm a 4, a withdrawn type, with a 3 wing, a less withdrawn type. And so/sx. Also, a Highly Sensitive Person. This affects xNFP I think.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Ne - Fi - Ni - Si - Fe - Ti - Se - Te

I might be an ENFP after all. I think a lot of this is influenced by Enneagram as well. I'm a 4, a withdrawn type, with a 3 wing, a less withdrawn type. And so/sx. Also, a Highly Sensitive Person. This affects xNFP I think.
yea i had a feeling you were an extrovert, since you said it social interactions was a necessity.

hmmm ok, however you can still do more research on the MBTI functions. see if they really fit you :)

·
Banned
678 Posts
I guess reading it all, it all depends on the ways that the behaviour occurred and what was going through your mind at the time. I think INFPs can enjoy and be very moving with public speaking or performing if it is something they care about. If the talking too much was related to something an INFP cared about and was about their values I can see that too. I'd say thinking out loud is one that might suggest being more extroverted than introverted, that's the biggest difference between my ENFP friend and me. She is always surprised by the extent that I've got thoughts running through my head. If you mean that thinking out loud helps to organise all the thoughts in your head then I think that could be either type. Sometimes talking things through with someone helps me because I have so many thoughts and make so many connections between things that speaking makes them more tangible even if I never stay on topic.

However, I'd be careful not to confuse behaviour with your cognition because they are different things. The types are more based on preferences with the way you think and from what you've said I don't think anything discounts you being more of an INFP per se.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
LOL my friends used to tell me to shut up all the time when I was in primary school. Once my Fi got caught up in something it found fascinating or enjoyable I used to get really overexcited and wanted to share it. I think that's part of the reason why I'm so much more reserved now - I learned that people generally don't share my interests or my priorities and it's better to just keep them to myself (not a good lesson to take on board, but still, it is what it is).

I don't see any of yours arguments for ENFP directly contradicting an INFP typing:

- Plenty of introverts like performing exactly because it gets them out of their shell and allows them to experience a different person's reality. I think that because of a Fi dominant's depth of feeling and the way in which we understand ourselves, it's easier for us to be able to convincingly portray someone else, even if that person never existed except for on paper. In fact, I try to avoid attention in my day-to-day life, only to get up on stage and try to steal the spotlight from everyone else! It's actually led people who've only seen me perform to assume I'm quite extraverted...

- I think needing to think out loud is Te. I do it too, especially when I need to brainstorm or when I'm trying to figure out something I don't understand. I also need other people around in those times, so I can bounce ideas off them.

- Being able to talk to people is often just a matter of practice and confidence. Plenty of people seem to find us quite charming and easy to talk to once we open up. My guess is that the so instinct dominance already makes you more attuned to people, and the sx forces you outwards, to connect with them.

- Dramatic and showy could be an argument for 4w3. I'm fairly dramatic but I tend to keep it inside my head.* And I put a lot more effort into how I present myself than the average INFP. Like @Itsmyhead said, it's important not to confuse cognition with behaviour. A lot of different thought processes can produce the same actions.

I have a strong need to change the world. I'm usually easygoing or lazy, but when I really care about something, I pull my act together and really get sh*t done (is that Te?).
Sounds like Te. It's actually something we should be working towards. No use in being able to envision all these possibilities or dream of these lofty ideals if we're not going to do anything about it!

Honestly, I think if you were Ne dominant, you'd be more comfortable with total newness. You'd crave it. You'd be completely averse to too much familiarity, especially at your age. My experience is that with Ne in the passenger seat, we do want to shake things up every so often but our Fi puts a stop to a lot of Ne's crazy ideas. With ENFP's that can be more of a battle, and sometimes Fi will only ever kick in afterwards. And then they might still not learn from it (inferior Si). XD

*Actually, I lied. I share it with people I'm comfortable with. I'll react very strongly to things in the moment, only to be confused when they bring it up again 15 minutes later, as if they really believed it affected me that much. Most of the time I move on pretty quickly, but I find it more entertaining to be a bit melodramatic about things rather than to just hide my reactions.

·
Registered
224 Posts
@jilleh88 I would be fine with being called an introvert! I have no bad view of introversion at all, if that's what you're asking. :) In a lot of ways, I wish I was more introverted than I already am, as an ambivert.

I have always oscillated between introversion and extroversion. When I was young, it was almost a yearly thing. One year I'd be boisterous and talkative, another I'd be more reserved and sensitive. Typically though, when I was in my early child, I was much more introverted. I became extroverted in later elementary school. I took the MBTI test then (I was too young though) and got ESFP. Late middle school and early high school I became introverted again, got INFP reliably. Now, I believe I'm a balance of the two. Tests have told me INFP and ENFP.
My F has always been my strongest preference by far. I don't know if that's indicative of Fi dominance.
My close group of friends always thinks I'm an extrovert, though they're all big introverts themselves. People who aren't in my circle think I'm introverted. :laughing:

I actually made a whole long list of reasons for each. :p

Argument for INFP
During childhood:
-I was a cautious child. I didn't walk or ride bikes until later than most. I was never a daredevil of any sort.
-I was also, at times, a bit shy when I was little. I had trouble making friends at one point, so I had to be in a "lunch bunch" group. (The group was trying to teach friendship making skills.)
-At recess, I often played alone. I skipped around the playground like it was my little dream paradise. I actually preferred indoor recess so I could draw or write stories.
-I believe my Fi was pretty developed for my age. I journaled about my place in the world and who I was. I remember writing about the distress I felt about being "meaner than usual."
-I was described as easygoing, sensitive, and a peacemaker. I often got the short straw of my family.
Now:
-I dislike small talk--the weather, what classes I'm taking, the monotony of day-to-day life.
-I avoid conversing with strangers. It makes me uncomfortable.
-Of stranger interaction, I dread most the conversations with manicurists or barbers. (You can't escape that way!)
-After prolonged socializing with people I'm not that close to, I feel the need to get away and end the interaction.
-I'm often very quiet at first (teachers have confirmed this). I then open up after a bit of time.
-I can get overstimulated (HSP)
-Small group discussions are preferable to large group discussions.
-I often get energy from being by myself.
-Sometimes I'm energized simply by thinking about who I am, or being myself--whether that means being alone or with other people.

Argument for ENFP
During childhood:
Now:
-I'm often dramatic.

Thanks for sharing :). I can relate to being called an introvert or extrovert depending on the circle I am in. And, yes, I meant how you see introversion...not necessarily in terms of good/bad but I guess your personal identification with it when you feel you are at your best. (The reason I mentioned that is I've heard/seen people who have identified with introversion when they were 'younger' 'shyer' or 'not at their best', etc. and then otherwise identified with extroversion. I think that societal bias has a part to play in that...). I guess my perspective on that is that, if, despite all that, you feel you are an introvert there's probably something to be said about that ;). If that makes sense...?

Also, I agree that, in general, the cognitive functions quiz is the most reliable measure of personality type.

Ultimately, I think that understanding the person you are and relating that to theory is a process. You are welcome to explore that and choose the type that feels like the best fit for you :).

·
Registered
9 Posts
You sound exactly like me! When I first started getting into MBTI, I thought I was an ENFP for the longest time. I'm a 4w3 sx/sp. I think because of the 3 wing we have tendencies differing from the stereotypical INFP persona. I'm very bubbly and sound a lot like a 7w6 in social situations. People wouldn't think for a second that I'm an INFP if they read the crappy personalitypage descriptions and tried to match it with me. I always seem like I have a lot of energy whenever I'm with friends and am quite sensitive to what people think of me. I'm also competitive. The key to discovering if you're an extrovert or an introvert (at least for me) is observing how I behaved alone and with strangers.

Do you like to approach strangers?
Do you act much different and sort of like you're in a totally different persona when none of your friends are with you?
If someone starts a conversation with you when no one is around how would you respond?
Do you enjoy being the centre of attention because you enjoy the company and the acceptance of people or do you enjoy it for the show?

I started asking myself these sort of questions and realized I wasn't as much of a people person as I thought I was. I sort of sculpted this "cool kid" persona, which was still a part of who I was, but maybe a little exaggerated in my fantasies and my perception of myself.

I would guess you are an INFP because you sound exactly like me a few years back. And coincidentally, I'm using that same exact "Up" balloon photo as my profile picture in Google+ (without the quote) :D.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.