Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today for speech, I had to bring a few items and talk about them to tell more about myself. I barely did it, all the classic stage freight issues, I just did it and sat very quickly and obviously nervously. On the contrast, I have stood in front of a hundred plus people and performed ceremonies, I've taught groups 10-20 (about the size of the class) without a hitch, I've done formal pre-written speech things for special occasions in front 40-50 people, just fine. So I'm thinking it's because I was talking about myself that just freaked me out. The whole shape-shifting adaptable nine, trying to define myself in front of people. I just can't do it, I can barely tell what fields my interests lies, and some foods I prefer. Specific activities or trying to define me is just something I can't do. It could possibly stem from another insecurity that I don't want to face rejection or separation, by giving a speech and everyone shunning me for the rest of the semester as well, but that's a nine issue too.

Anyone else like this, I get nervous/freak if I'm giving a speech/presentation and;
Most people don't know me and I will have to face them for the next few months
And/Or it is about myself. (actually I think it's the above mostly.)

Reactions: Blueguardian

·
Registered
582 Posts
I stopped caring about other people's opinion of me a while back. Am I good at giving a speech/presentation about myself? lol I just thought of all the melancholic things I could say. If I had some time to think before I did it I would be fine. If it was on some random topic, unless I'm really interested in it I wouldn't find it easy to do it, but that's just my ISTJ.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
It is usually very difficult for me to define myself in simple terms. To get the full picture of me, one must understand several smaller parts. It takes me a long time to work on anything which asks me to do that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm very good at talking about myself or any other subject in public, but I find very hard to talk about my feelings, even when talking to just a few people.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yeah, talking about my feelings is a lot more difficult (even to those close to me) than talking about myself. When giving presentations on informational topics I freak myself out, but usually when I get up there I'm okay...until the end at the Q&A section when I have to respond on the spot.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Anyone else like this, I get nervous/freak if I'm giving a speech/presentation and;
Most people don't know me and I will have to face them for the next few months
And/Or it is about myself. (actually I think it's the above mostly.)
I do this prior to a speech, and often right at the beginning. When I get nervous I tend to let my silly side out to cope with the stress. My best speeches were ones I hardly tried to memorize and just went up and b/s'd them. I guess if I am going to make a fool of myself, may as well do it on my own terms and get a laugh out of the audience as well. Besides... its a rare chance for people to see my silly side... or just hear my voice, out in public. Once the speech is over though, I snap right back into my quiet, calm self.

For me, I had a hard time when speech class tried to force me into identifying myself. So, in one of these "speeches" I decided to do a presentation on MBTI, with INFP as a focus. People seemed interested though, as I presented it in a silly way to hide my discomfort.

Over all I suppose the worst things to talk about with me are specifics. What is your favorite ____. What are your Hobbies/interests? I can rarely give a specific and direct answer to those sort of questions. So a speech on my hobbies is total torture. "My hobby is going to bed at inconsistent times." Thats the only one I can honestly be confident about...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts