Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel a need to shush people whenever they start whispering or talking among themselves during a film, play, dance number, song, or performance of any kind. Flash photography and cell phone use also bothers me, to a somewhat lesser extent.

I'm ENTP, so I'm not very bureaucratic, but for god's sake! I've tried explaining to people that this seriously interferes with my ability to enjoy something, only to be told that I'm a "snob." One of my dreams is to find myself in a circumstance under which I can enjoy cinema-quality sound and visual effects without other people in the room who think I can't hear them muttering and giggling.

So? Does this happen to you? Am I really a snob for being easily distracted and pissed off about it?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I feel a need to shush people whenever they start whispering or talking among themselves during a film, play, dance number, song, or performance of any kind. Flash photography and cell phone use also bothers me, to a somewhat lesser extent.

I'm ENTP, so I'm not very bureaucratic, but for god's sake! I've tried explaining to people that this seriously interferes with my ability to enjoy something, only to be told that I'm a "snob." One of my dreams is to find myself in a circumstance under which I can enjoy cinema-quality sound and visual effects without other people in the room who think I can't hear them muttering and giggling.

So? Does this happen to you? Am I really a snob for being easily distracted and pissed off about it?
Haha, yes exactly. When I watch a good movie, I need complete silence to analyze and absorb every facet of what's going on. I'll only talk if there's downtime or an obvious lull in a movie.

It just doesn't make sense to talk during a movie unless you're using it as background noise or need to elucidate certain plot points.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I get annoyed because it's just plain rude.

·
Banned
1,857 Posts

No, you're not the only one. I get mad, too.
But if they're nearby I'll ask nicely, or someone else would. I've found that people usually stop.

Only twice have I gotten to the point where I've actually taken action. Once I called them out (loudly, saying where they're sitting too) during a quiet scene or I've thrown gummy bears at them to make them stop (situationally appropriate, I promise, lol... 12 yr olds that were bothering everyone and everyone kept saying "someone should do something").

Even then I felt kinda bad. But still if they wanted to talk, then a theater where they know they're supposed to be quiet isn't the place especially when they're bothering everyone else.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
When watching movies, I usually comment on things I find interesting.

Just the other day I was watching Atlantis (yes, the Disney movie) and there were so many scientific phenomenons that were open to be debated in the film. For example, I picked up on the fact that the Atlantean language was designed to look like the mother of all languages, and I started discussing that in the middle of the movie.

For me, that stuff is super-interesting, even though it's just a children's movie. It's like "but what if it were true? What would that mean for history? For mankind?"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts