Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'll admit...I don't really do this often, but I WISH I had the courage to.

What I'm talking about is a sort of emotional connection between you and people who you don't really know. Sort of, it's hard to explain and I know this thread was poorly titled!

I often want to tell people unusual things...Things that will make them feel good about themselves. Pointing out things about them that make them feel happy because no one else had noticed. It's just that...I usually notice those things that others don't, but I don't always have the courage to say it out loud.

You know the classic movie moment where you go "You know...I can see that you're <insert hidden quality here>" And the other person thinks :" :eek:oooo Wow, how does she know!?" or "Wow, no ones ever told me that.."

But in reality I'm afraid I'll seem like an idiot and I'll go horrible wrong and the other person will just be all "...wtf :dry:"

But yeah, I try to mention things about people that other's don't necessarily notice, sometimes even personal things. It makes us both feel special. And I love doing it. ^^'

·
Registered
325 Posts
I can feel you here all the way through. I especially love to reach out to those shy underdogs with low self-esteem and who are trying to prove something to themselves or to others, because I always find something amazing in them that other people obviously easily overlook. For some reason, I tend to easily take notice of their subtle presence and their low-profile quirkiness. Then for the rest of the day, week or so I observe them through my peripheral vision. Wish I could strike up a deep conversation with them and tell them they're wonderful, just as every single one of us are and that they don't have to feel less about themselves.

I did try a handful of times before saying something to someone that no one else has told them about, or took notice. It usually forges a special kind of rapport, even if it doesn't necessarily go all the way to becoming an agape-like friendship. To my absolute joy. :)

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I do that sometimes but it can be difficult to work into the conversation, especially if they are busy

I've done it with xSTJs, told them they are very well organized and that they run things very well (which was true), they smiled and liked that

·
Registered
135 Posts
Tenshi, That's why I read tarot cards. It gives me the opportunity to do this for people, where it doesn't weird them out - they are looking for it, and they welcome it. I'm actually better at physiognomy. If someone is asking about a potential relationship or something, I can tell them all sorts of things about the person just from looking at their picture. They seem to like it - to have the chance to discuss a situation in depth, with someone who understands and is interested, and can bring in a different viewpoint, too.

Have you thought about trying tarot or something like that?

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
You should pick random people in public and then see if you can find something hidden about them. Go into it thinking they will react that way and have an escape plan. You'll be able to see how accurate you are.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
My type 2 ESFJ mom does this all the time. She strikes up conversations with random strangers all the time. It's a good and bad thing lol. I always try to mind my own business but I like observing people.
Um, do we have the same mom? My mom is an ESFJ-Type 2, too. Not only does my mom strike conversations with people, people flock to her, too, I kid you not. She makes new friends and admirers on a near-weekly basis, it seems.

·
Banned
613 Posts
Yeah I can walk around and talk to strangers all day. It's amazing what complete strangers will confide in me, but sometimes I poke fun at them. Who wanna join?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I often want to tell people unusual things...Things that will make them feel good about themselves. Pointing out things about them that make them feel happy because no one else had noticed. It's just that...I usually notice those things that others don't, but I don't always have the courage to say it out loud.
I can very much relate too that. When I meet new people I very quickly pick up on there qualities and personality traits, I kind of want to express this and complement the other person on there hidden qualities which may not be so apparent to others. I guess I want the other person to feel like I understand them. Sometimes INFJ's get called counsellors this does seem like a counsellor sort of thing. Is this what you were reffering too?

Of course I don't really always express this to the other person either cause it may seem really creepy to them.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Raain

Once again another perC member was able to put, exactly what I wanted to say, into words. That's exactly what I meant. ^^'

·
Registered
246 Posts
You know the classic movie moment where you go "You know...I can see that you're <insert hidden quality here>" And the other person thinks :" :eek:oooo Wow, how does she know!?" or "Wow, no ones ever told me that.."

But in reality I'm afraid I'll seem like an idiot and I'll go horrible wrong and the other person will just be all "...wtf :dry:"
Haha, this sums up my feelings on the matter completely! People have done this with me a few times though, and the things they've said have been so flattering that I really want to believe them. My experience is that I try to deny such observations when I hear them, but they mean a lot to me when I think back on them. (For all I know, their compliments might just have been drunken rambling though xD).

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,469 Posts
Um, do we have the same mom? My mom is an ESFJ-Type 2, too. Not only does my mom strike conversations with people, people flock to her, too, I kid you not. She makes new friends and admirers on a near-weekly basis, it seems.
Hehe, it's that dom Fe. Sometimes she says embarrasing things though or shares too much and it makes me inwardly cringe (if I'm with her) lol but other than that, it's good. She found work that way.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I do feel them and i do understand them , but i limit myself at observing and analyzing them before i ever make a move. I don't particulay talk to strangers..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah, there was this quiet exchange student at my university who I could tell had a very beautiful personality but I didn't handle the whole befriending process well. It was coming along but then I got drunk and said some things that were worded poorly. Life lesson learned.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts