Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tend to talk to myself. A lot. :crazy: I talk when I type, I talk when I'm in the bathroom, I talk to myself when I'm out walking, basically I carry a conversation with either myself or with someone in my head, like someone I either know personally, or a totally made up person.

It makes me look odd and crazy by outsiders, but I do this when I'm sure I'm alone and there's NOBODY around... Am I the only INFP who does this a lot? :dry:

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Definitely a few practice speeches, as if I got called out by a teacher and I want to sound bad ass with my response. Otherwise just generally playing out scenarios that will likely never happen. Or sometimes about approaching some girl.

Note to others though, when I drank some red bull for a test, I strangely, got overly anxious to start the test. So while the teacher was dicking around trying to get people to relax... "stand up" "twirl your arms around" etc... I thought to myself (oh my fucken god are you kidding me? This in University? the longer this takes the more information will fall out of my head) then I said one last thing and this actually escaped my lips "Just give me the fucken test" out loud. Yea... I think it got dead silent in that class for a split sec and a few guy friends laughed hysterically, girls had their jaws drop, and the teacher felt like every drop of blood left her body -- she turned pale. Fortunately, she didn't address what I said and basically acted like it never happened.

On the bright side, a decent 87% on my bone test :D.

eesh, my grammar is hell right now. Better zzz soon

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
Note to others though, when I drank some red bull for a test, I strangely, got overly anxious to start the test. So while the teacher was dicking around trying to get people to relax... "stand up" "twirl your arms around" etc... I thought to myself (oh my fucken god are you kidding me? This in University? the longer this takes the more information will fall out of my head) then I said one last thing and this actually escaped my lips "Just give me the fucken test" out loud. Yea... I think it got dead silent in that class for a split sec and a few guy friends laughed hysterically, girls had their jaws drop, and the teacher felt like every drop of blood left her body -- she turned pale. Fortunately, she didn't address what I said and basically acted like it never happened.

:crazy:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I do this a lot, I have even caught myself when people are in range of hearing me. At work especially i think my co-workers think im nuts but what ever, its really just me off in my own lil world and i dont really care what they think.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Oh, yeah. I basically do everything in this thread...

My mom overheard me once, and she thought I was going insane because, when I talk to myself, it does sound like I'm having a real conversation a lot of the time. But I like to articulate some of my thoughts, especially if it's for a conversation I anticipate having or would like to have. Or sometimes it's just fantasy-fulfillment, I think, or just to fill up the quiet when I've had enough silence.

Basically, various reasons. But, yeah, I'm an INFP and I totally talk to myself.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Hmm...I can remember doing a lot when in my early teen years...but now, I still do it, but not a lot. For example, if I'm here on the computer and I see something weird, I will likely mouth "...What the hell..." under my breath or something.

One thing is for sure: Rarely will ever say something to myself when I'm by myself in my normal talking tone. at least...not a full sentence, lol.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yes. I did tons when I was a little kid. It was rather cute. But I still do it some, I'm my own best friend. It really puts me at ease to read that a lot of other INFP's do. I, too, rehearse conversations, even if I don't intend to actually go through with them. It's like writing something down to get it off your chest, but saying it aloud.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I tend to talk to imaginary audiences. I practice conversations that make me nervous that I think I'm going to have to have soon, inspiring speeches, and when I much younger, commercials. Also acceptance speeches for my future Nobel Prize, which will probably be for peace. Shut up. It's gonna happen. You better treat me well, or you won't be in my acceptance speech, biatch.

Uh, sometimes I also find myself narrating my life, or singing to myself, or instructing myself on how to perform a task, or arguing with myself about some decision, or praising myself for things I do correctly.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I do this all of the time with myself :tongue: I even do it in my head while other people are around me, if I find that it's a bit inappropriate to mention what I thought about to them. Caught up in my own world! Probably that's why people suddenly ask, why are you so quiet? when the truth was I had something else in mind :crazy:

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
All the time. I've had full out arguments with myself while walking down the street. I must have looked/sounded like one of my patients, especially since my "logical" voice and my "heart" voice sound very different and when I'm trying to go through both sides I'll talk in both voices. It's amusing to me.

There's also my reply/invent conversations thing. If I want to talk to someone about x/y/z, I'll go through the conversation in my head over and over until I've come to some sort of conclusion or just worn out my welcome in my own head. Sometimes I say my parts outloud without realizing it. Whoops.

I also berate myself outloud quite frequently - "oh, come on, faerie! Really?! That was just stupid." or whatnot. There's a constant mono/dialogue going on in my head, like I"m narrating my own life, sometimes with theme music and everything, it's just a matter of whether I've turned on my filter or not. I know there are several times it was malfunctioning and the awkward that happens after is enough to make me avoid places for indefinite periods of time.

So, yup, completely relate.

Reactions: MilkyWay132 and Lad
1 - 20 of 56 Posts