Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tendency to make comments out loud even if no one's within earshot - especially at work and especially if no one's in earshot. I even do it at home when I'm doing housework. Just my kitties and me. If people are around, I'm a bit more aware about what I let slip out. No, it's not Turrets.

I have a tendency to play out entire conversations in my head be it past or future. Heck, even present when I have enough time to think while others are talking. Sometimes, while I'm conversing in my head, I'll catch myself audibly saying the last few words, my response to a ficticious question or even laughing out loud in response to a scenario, either real or imagined.

My question to other INFJ's:
Am I the only one who does this??

I get really self conscious when I realize I'm reacting to myself. I'm sure my roommate (ISTJ) thinks I'm slightly crazy anyway.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Lmfao, I do that, too. Especially in the shower, where I can just rearrange my thoughts and sort of loop it over and over again in my monologue, sometimes actually mouthing the words as I go.

And then I feel stupid because I'm literally talking to a wall.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a tendency to play out entire conversations in my head be it past or future. Heck, even present when I have enough time to think while others are talking. Sometimes, while I'm conversing in my head, I'll catch myself audibly saying the last few words, my response to a ficticious question or even laughing out loud in response to a scenario, either real or imagined.
PRECISELY! I absolutely do this. I often notice that when I'm replaying past conversations, I'll verbally express my disapproval for the way I handled it; "Oh, you dumb cunt!" I must appear certifiable.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yeah, I do. I'm afraid I might even more than I realize. I think I sometimes say my thoughts out loud without even realizing it because people have commented back before and I would be like did I just say that? It worries me a bit because sometimes I don't know what I might have said out loud and I don't want my thoughts just randomly coming out and open like that.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i always talk to myself...... i have conversations with myself, out load, kinda like gollum on Lord of the rings (favorite movie) it started when i was very young and it never seemed to go away..

·
Registered
630 Posts
I don't speak out loud but something similar happens to me.
Usually, I find myself rather in a position of listening, as I would be somewhere outside myself speaking by myself or with others and all I do is just listen and pay attention to what I/he says.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Yesterday morning, while still at home, I was talking to myself and thought about asking this of other INFJ's. How interesting that you would ask this. Thank you.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
If you are insane, you are not alone in your insanity :wink:

Sometimes I re-play turning points in my life... while I am on long walks.

And I might think What if I said this? And then I'll say it aloud just to hear it roll of my tongue.

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
I have a tendency to make comments out loud even if no one's within earshot - especially at work and especially if no one's in earshot. I even do it at home when I'm doing housework. Just my kitties and me. If people are around, I'm a bit more aware about what I let slip out. No, it's not Turrets.

My question to other INFJ's:
Am I the only one who does this??

I get really self conscious when I realize I'm reacting to myself. I'm sure my roommate (ISTJ) thinks I'm slightly crazy anyway.
Oh Heck Yeah! I just posted in the what language(s) do you speak thread about talking to myself and laughing out loud at odd moments...I deemed it as part of speaking my own language~~"Dalien"!

Yes, playing out entire conversations and sometimes including snapshots that go along with the scenario. Day dreaming is what I believe it is called using a vivid imagination. Yes, I believe us INFJs are day dreamers. :wink:

PS If someone hears me and says "What?", I just respond, "Oh, just talking to myself." They somehow get that I am not going to repeat and leave it be. I only tell if I want to and don't worry about what they think of me. :happy:

Reactions: Ireth

·
Registered
801 Posts
You are not alone. Just this morning I was having a conversation with my hairdresser over my previous ex-boyfriend. Of course this was in the shower and I was making up her 1/2 of the conversation in my head but it helped me feel better.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
When It does I realize I need some interaction. Usually it's subtle, I will have such a intense thing going in my head I can't help but express it in a comment.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I talk to myself a lot too. always random things or sometimes little song comes out or I make like an animal noise or something. typically my inner world is images and sounds and whatever I want it to be...
so when I am uh... alone and creative. heh heh... it can be quite random and weird.

I often don't play conversations out in my head because I so often just don't really completely understand what someone would say to me until I am in that moment of time. there are so many factors that factor into conversation, I guess the only time I do it would be in my actual dreams, the ones in which I am asleep.

interesting. yeah.
I DO yell at people by myself though, or tell them why they were wrong, especially when I am angry and I want to cool off. sadly I also picture upsetting things happening to them too.
hey. in the moment it makes me feel better! so don't judge.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I actually find talking to myself a really useful approach - I do it frequently and deliberatly

I don't know if other INFJs find this but I find that vocalising thoughts really helps me to order and structure them. So for work if I have a whole bunch of stuff wirring around in my head I imagine I am explaining the situation to someone else and vocalise that. Suddenly I find clarity and login in my jumbled mess of a head!

So I don't think this is mad - I think it's useful

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
You are not alone. Just this morning I was having a conversation with my hairdresser over my previous ex-boyfriend. Of course this was in the shower and I was making up her 1/2 of the conversation in my head but it helped me feel better.
I do this as well.. I don't actually have conversations with my self (out loud, that I know of). Rather I am always responding to or entertaining someone who's in my head... Sometimes it's someone from real life ---and I just realize now I also do still have 'imaginary friends' (o_o) In fact I saw someone while I was with family at a restaurant a few weeks ago, this guy I speak to in my head! I guess we are friends now. I have also had a girl appear in my dreams and I felt she was so familiar.. another one that I speak to in my head, but her face never shows. She has ash to light brown hair.

I'm usually very well self controlled but there have been times I embarrass myself --I am on the bus a few months ago and I get so caught up with who I'm speaking to that I start smiling sheepishly and the guy beside me seemed uncomfortable. I had my face looking out the window and it must had been near midnight, it was very dark you couldn't really see anything out there. This has also happened as I come out of the bathroom (mirrors and computer screens are not good for me.. as I will talk back to the reflection), and my mother and landlord has caught me as I'm smiling and laughing alone with my flamboyant hand gestures.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To clarify, I'm not creating ficticious people. I just overly process conversations and scenarios and sometimes, part of them come out of my mouth, with or without people around. It's kinda awkward when people overhear or observe it.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
To clarify, I'm not creating ficticious people. I just overly process conversations and scenarios and sometimes, part of them come out of my mouth, with or without people around. It's kinda awkward when people overhear or observe it.
yeah it is akward for those people.

I just blow them off. sometimes if they think i am weird it really isn't worth it...

we spend too much time thinking about what others think of us.

I think it would be funny to see all these INFJ's talking to themselves like bums. he he.
HA! we just proved to society that sucessful people talk to themselves too!!!

it isn't just drugs! it's the imagination! it's intuition!

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
I never talk to myself outloud unless I am completley alone.

I will always do it in some form or another in my head when I am by myself. Sometimes it's entirley abstract, and sometimes I'm trying to analyze something.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts