Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only do it when nobody's around, and even then it's just the occasional "oh!!" when I figure something out.

I swear I wake up almost every morning to my IxFP mom doing it, she says it helps her think. I love her but it makes me suuuuuuper uncomfortable.

I've heard it has something to do with high intelligence, given the only people who have told me that talk to themselves frequently. Why exactly do some people do it more than others?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I thought it is one of the signes a major mental illness such as schizophrenia. Consequently, I checked whether this is normal when I started talking to myself outloud. I was doing outer dialogues. I found this article - supposedly it is good for you if you are not putting yourself down: Talking to Yourself: A Sign of Sanity | World of Psychology

·
Registered
84 Posts
I personally think that talking to oneself is a good method for introspection.

Reactions: outofplace

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with @randomness11. I talk to myself quite a lot when I'm alone. Talking out loud helps me to work through my thoughts and feelings. I'm a fairly private person (internet forums excluded) so It's nice to have an outlet of sorts to work through things. I don't believe there's anything wrong with talking to yourself; everyone does it to some degree.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I kind of pretend to be two different people sometimes, and I know it's just me speaking and then answering my own question but it's kind of cool, and always actually helps me figure out whatever it is I was thinking about. A lot of the time it's self-motivating arguments with myself, and for some reason the secondary voice is always really abusive, lots of swearing (cursing if you're Muuurican), but to be honest the overly aggressive comical swearing gets me in the mood to get the job at hand done. Maybe I just like a bit of abuse? I hope not. Because I will never be a submissive, nah son.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I kind of pretend to be two different people sometimes, and I know it's just me speaking and then answering my own question but it's kind of cool, and always actually helps me figure out whatever it is I was thinking about. A lot of the time it's self-motivating arguments with myself, and for some reason the secondary voice is always really abusive, lots of swearing (cursing if you're Muuurican), but to be honest the overly aggressive comical swearing gets me in the mood to get the job at hand done. Maybe I just like a bit of abuse? I hope not. Because I will never be a submissive, nah son.
I debate with myself in my head sometimes. It helps to form an opinion when you can pull back and split into two different people.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I talk to myself quite often

·
Registered
961 Posts
I debate with myself in my head sometimes. It helps to form an opinion when you can pull back and split into two different people.
Yeah man, there's always more than one perspective to any situation, so the only way to decide is to create a persona for each one and have let them have a fight inside your mind.

·
Electronica Wizard
ISFP
6,709 Posts
I talk to myself each time I open my eyes early in the morning as a form of self counselling while my other self would listen and occasionally brainstorm with me.

Reactions: Sensational

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
If I talk to myself its usually fury. Like pure fury. Lol like I am furious. Its usually like rage. I tend to simultaneously clean better then any other time in my life when I am this furious. Cure to get me to be super productive, infuriate me. Poof I am the most productive and insane person on the planet. I may possibly look like a tweaker (no I am not one) when I get like that. Its like some serious tazmanian devil shit, while narrating....
"oh really mother fucker"
Yeah this tends to be an easy way to scare the hell outta people. If I am like this no one goes by me and everyone clears the room (its rare but scary).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sometimes I'll have like full blown conversations with myself out load when no one's there, lol. It's really fun, and it helps with thinking about how the conversation could go. But when I'm not having talks with myself like that, I'll say stuff like "Ohhh, I get it!" to myself when no one's there, or with other people. I'll also like, hit myself on the head and call myself stupid sometimes, when I remember something embarrassing, or get a question wrong which was easy.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I talk to myself all the time. I'm quite the intriguing conversationalist, if I do say so myself. Sometimes, I don't even notice that I'm doing it. My coworkers call me out on it all the time.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I talk to myself...sometimes I even pretend to be an interviewer interviewing myself haha. When carrying out a task it can be helpful, it is a way to concentrate on what I'm doing and stop me from daydreaming. I don't do it in front of other people though. Oh and I sing to myself...just random stuff, quite often I sing when I'm cooking in the kitchen singing about what I'm doing "and now I'm picking up a spatula to stir the dinner...lalala..." yeah. Makes doing mundane things more fun I suppose.

I talk to myself when I'm driving too...mostly when I'm angry at another driver.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I talk to myself often when I'm alone. Well, it's partly because I'm aiming to become an ESL teacher, so I have to practice my accent and fluency, but it also helps me just to get things out of my mind and see for myself if they make sense.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Even as a child I had a fairly active imagination and I entertained myself a lot. According to my parents, I had more imaginary friends than real ones when I was around five years old. :)

I used to do this a lot when I was younger but now I do it rarely. The voice in my head is loud enough as it is, like i have an internal monologue going on in my head specially when I'm in the deep thinking mode. I do it when I'm under stress as well but only when I'm alone but I don't speak out loud.

P.S. I do yell and scream at people when I talk to myself. the ones I wish I have yelled at but decided not to.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Lol yeah my crazy catlady Fi (and, to a certain extent, also my Ne?) does this all the time when I'm alone. It's not even necessarily a conversation or talking to myself necessarily. Sometimes my subconscious thoughts just slip out through my mouth. I often realize that I don't even know why I'm saying these words, as they have no direct connection with the things I may be reading or thinking about at the time. Maybe they're just phrases that are vaguely related or that feel good in my mouth in companion with my train of thoughts...?

But I also do the talking back and forth with myself thing. Or even more frequently, talking to something that can't even reply to me, like a movie I'm watching, or an article I'm reading. Fuck my life seriously. I am living alone and don't see people that much. I do think it's better to discuss these things with someone else rather than just myself, wtf. Like because real people have real opinions that you may not have thought of. Not opinions that you imagined they have, but may not actually have. It might be just you, alone, going around and around in circle.

Yeah man, there's always more than one perspective to any situation, so the only way to decide is to create a persona for each one and have let them have a fight inside your mind.
Results may vary. Seriously.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts