Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am curious about how tattoos affect perceived levels of attractiveness. This article here got me thinking about the subject:
Tattoos on Women: A Guy’s View | Style With Anna: Health, Beauty, Design and Fashion Tips

I am primarily interested in how men view tattooed women. That said, the question is definitely open for both men and women.

A few points:

(1) I know that so-called 'tramp stamps' are not classy. So, that's a given;). Then again, what's classy and what isn't varies from person to person. But, my question assumes that the person in question doesn't have offensive (racist for instance) or overly cliched tattoos (read: nautical stars on people who've never been near an ocean etc.) which mean nothing to them. Facial tattoos, prison tattoos might also be on your "turn off" list, but these are too obviously questionable to fully address my question. My question is restricted to tasteful tattoos, broadly defined.

(2) Feel free to comment upon the linked article.

(3)I am also interested in hearing tattooed women's experiences in professional settings. How do your clients respond/react to your tattoos? Artistic professions are much more forgiving of tattooed ladies, but 'stuffier settings like law firms can be tricky. Men may also chime in;).

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I'd love to get a tattoo. However, you hit the nail on the head, I work in a "stuffy" profession, so if I get seen tattoo'd, it'd be an unpleasant day for me. That said, a tasteful tattoo is always kind of seductive in it's own way. I don't know why, but I loved a tattoo that an ex had. She had a snake tattoo'd, coiling round her leg from ankle to halfway up to the knee. It looked amazing, and it had a story, she got it done when her pet snake passed away. It was well done, didn't look "trampy" or "trashy". Then again, maybe I'm just a ******* and didn't know? :unsure:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well, there's no point lying.

When I see a lot of tattoos on a woman, I think to myself: she's a no bullshit woman and she's going to be game for anything. So, obviously, I find it very sexy.

But I would have some concerns:
- Does she get around a bit too much?
- Will she be interested in me? Since I am the straight-laced type, with briefcase and glasses and she is almost the opposite.
- What will my family think? They're pretty weird about progressive things.

With all that said, my conclusion is: I absolutely love tattoo's on a woman. And if there's a lip ring or nose ring added to the mix, then all the better.

And I mostly agree with the article, but I think that five rules are over-complicating the matter. I think there should be two rules:

#1: If a tattoo has meaning, then it doesn't matter where you put it.
#2: Have it done by a pro and try to feminize the design (if you want to be feminine).

·
fire breathing dragon
2,810 Posts
I think that articles like that one exist everywhere. What really annoys me about articles like that one is that its always from the perspective of someone who doesn't even have tattoos. Now, I think people can have opinions on tattoos and not have them, but people without the surely will never get the appeal of getting multiple ones if they've never had one. I'm not going to say they are "addictive" but they are actually quite enjoyable.

I have 8 of them. Got my first one at 16 and my last one at 21 I believe. I haven't worked in a professional setting at all, but just in everyday life people don't know that I have 1 let alone 8 of them. 4 of them are large and on my torso, so they are covered in clothing and the others are smaller to the point that you'd have to spent a good portion of time around me to notice em.

Do I think they are attractive? Eh...I can't answer that. For me, they are just a form of self expression, though I've never been told they were unattractive and people usually take an interest in look at them at touching them. I certainly don't find tattoos on people be unattractive except when they dont take care of their skin and the ink goes to shit.

To me, the most unattractive thing about tattoos is when people get them for the wrong reasons and then turn around and regret the decision or have them removed because they've "grown up". When I got all of mine, it was under the assumption that they'd be there forever and I'd stick by my decision.

Ah, Im rambling, I'll stop now.

Oh and I have one just above the lower back. I'm a tramp:shocked:

·
Registered
618 Posts
I find tattoo's on a man unattractive because I feel that they are overcompensating to try and be unique. And they are also encouraging people to judge them based on their cover. (Though I do understand it isn't like that in all cases, as for some people it is simply art, fashion, style etc). I am a person who likes to delve inside someone to find out their personality, not to be told by someone the fantastic labels they have of themselves which are scarred all over their body. It just seems so superficial. That being said, if I fell in love with someone and they had tattoo's, it wouldn't be a deal breaker, and that applies to any physical factor.

Reactions: perfectcircle

·
Registered
813 Posts
I like tattoos as long as they have a personal meaning and do not cover major portions of the body. They come off as a bit showy if they are conspicuous and in areas that are difficult to conceal. Showiness is something I don't care for, usually.

Reactions: ModelandActress

·
Registered
435 Posts
I like tattoos that are well done and unique. I love when people actually put art on their bodies. I think that any tattoo that isn't well done looks trashy. If you are going to have something on your body forever you should probably make sure you go to an actual artist. I did.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
When I see a lot of tattoos on a woman, I think to myself: she's a no bullshit woman and she's going to be game for anything. So, obviously, I find it very sexy.

But I would have some concerns:
- Does she get around a bit too much?
Why would a woman having tattoos indicate that she sleeps around? (I don't agree with this, obviously, but I am legitimately curious as to why you think so.)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Why would a woman having tattoos indicate that she sleeps around? (I don't agree with this, obviously, but I am legitimately curious as to why you think so.)
It's just in my mind. To me, they are "free" spirits and wild. And I think that those types are very sexual beings.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
It's just in my mind. To me, they are "free" spirits and wild. And I think that those types are very sexual beings.
I definitely understand this assumption. But I don't think being a sexual being necessarily correlates to having multiple and plentiful partners, which is where our opinions differ. Many women are wild, free spirits, freaks in the sheets, but stay in long-term, committed relationships, or only have sex with men they feel an emotional connection with.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
this topic has been done a few times. I don't mind tattos at all and they can be quite sexy if done correctly..."tramp stamp" are pretty hot in my opinion, and well a few things here and there are nice and even someone with alot of tattoos is nice if they tie together nicely

I hope to someday get a tattoo, not sure if i'm tough enough to get it but we shall see!

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
I don't find tattoos appealing in the slightest, for any number of reasons. Primarily, humanity has yet to supersede in its attempts to do better than natural beauty does. Take any piece of art, say from Greek culture, for example. What does any of it amount to? Humans trying desperately to capture that which nature already has. It's a poor reflection at best. And tattoos IMHO are little more than a mutilation, only more colorful than that of scarring.

Perhaps it's because as an INFJ I require little more than self validation on who I am or what I'm about and that I find a certain strength in that. I dunno. But I don't have to declare to the world that I'm a unique individual. I just am. Everyone is. I don't need some pain inducing, soon to be fading, "art" piece on my person to feel special.

Want to be original and declare it to the world? Wear original clothing, or have original make up, or have an original hair do/color scheme. There are so many things you can do to appeal to this... insecurity... without being a permanent effect, one that not only is going to look worse as time goes on, but will put undue amounts of struggle into your life in other ways (such as job opportunities as mentioned in the OP, among others).

Anyway, enough with my ranting. No, I'm not attracted to someone with tattoos. Not in the slightest. In fact, if I find someone attractive prior to knowing they have tattoos, then I see said tattoos, their beauty is diminished, both on a physical as well as personal level. To treat their own bodies in that way... it's like willfully and enthusiastically spray-painting graffiti all throughout the Grand Canyon or something.

I respect peoples' right to defile themselves however they wish. That does not mean I have to like it.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Don't really care for them, although they wouldn't be deal breakers.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I am primarily interested in how men view tattooed women.
Speaking for myself in what is likely a minority opinion--not that that's ever stopped me, I view a tattooed woman the same way I view any other person. My visual cortex processes the image sent from my eyes, but other than that, I don't think anything. I couldn't care less whether a woman has a tattoo or not, as her body is her own to tattoo or not tattoo. I wouldn't tattoo mine, so I haven't. What someone else chooses to do is their business, as them having a tattoo doesn't affect me in any way whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I see women as works of art as they are, so Beautiful some tattoos detract from the beauty, some can add to it, it all depends on what they are. and where they are.

its like trying to add something to a picasso

Reactions: Sina and Alaya

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Well, I am curious about how tattoos affect perceived levels of attractiveness. This article here got me thinking about the subject:
Tattoos on Women: A Guy’s View | Style With Anna: Health, Beauty, Design and Fashion Tips

I am primarily interested in how men view tattooed women. That said, the question is definitely open for both men and women.

A few points:

(1) I know that so-called 'tramp stamps' are not classy. So, that's a given;). Then again, what's classy and what isn't varies from person to person. But, my question assumes that the person in question doesn't have offensive (racist for instance) or overly cliched tattoos (read: nautical stars on people who've never been near an ocean etc.) which mean nothing to them. Facial tattoos, prison tattoos might also be on your "turn off" list, but these are too obviously questionable to fully address my question. My question is restricted to tasteful tattoos, broadly defined.

(2) Feel free to comment upon the linked article.

(3)I am also interested in hearing tattooed women's experiences in professional settings. How do your clients respond/react to your tattoos? Artistic professions are much more forgiving of tattooed ladies, but 'stuffier settings like law firms can be tricky. Men may also chime in;).
Interesting link.

I can only speak for myself, so I'll just lay out my personal opinion in relation to what the link stated:
1. Keep it classy.
Agreed on every point the author made.
2. No tramp-stamps.
Duh. No tramp-stamps. Even if it's nice and meaningful, and even if you think/feel it's beautiful, I don't think it's smart to deliberately keep something on your body that you know would almost always bring immediate negativity just because of its location, even if others do ask about it and like it after.
3. Don't over-do it.
Agreed. Completely covering a section of one's body kinda makes me think they feel "bare" or "colorless" in some way, as if they weren't comfortable in their own skin (literally). And yes, I'm aware this one is entirely subjective, lol. Pfft.
4. Make it feminine.
To author: Stfu.
5. Be original.
Not necessary, but recommended.

My bottom-line: I don't mind tattoos at all, so long as a woman factors in its permanent appearance (important).

·
Banned
59 Posts
depends on the tattoo and location, some are putrid and some inspire geysers

i agree on the tramp stamp part, those are retarded, but a little tattoo on the front of the hips can be really appealing, especially if you can't see the whole thing when they're wearing pants, makes me feel like "i really gotta get those off you"

1 - 20 of 68 Posts