Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all really!

I believe my Te is developing (I will be 27 soon) At the moment I feel like I'm going through some kind of 'transition' period. I wanted to hear some personal experiences related to Te development from other ENFPs.

I'm also looking for any Te-boosting tips

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I am 30 and I have developed Te, but it is not complete yet. I am currently developing Si as well, but this one needs a lot more work. I'm in the 3rd development phase of an ENFP.

It's this simple for me...brutally honest self awareness, and acceptance of it rather than rejection of it, allowed me to start using Te more and more. When I was younger I let my emotions rule me, my decisions were based on personal values and beliefs rather than logic...this is perfectly normal for an ENFP. However, through trial and error, I realized that many of these decisions and beliefs resulted in something that I would need to fix or improvise on. It also led to confusion because I dont tend to trust something unless it makes sense, but my Ne and Fi led me primarily, so I was able to accept some things even if they didn't make sense, but not always. Going by Ne and Fi didn't always end badly either, so I needed to find balance.

I started to learn how to set my feelings and values aside, be as unbiased as possible, and make sense of things...connect the dots, think logic AROUND my Ne and Fi, kind of in reverse, and let THAT dictate my actions and decisions. This has become natural for me, so now I use logic with my Ne and Fi resulting in decisions and actions that follow my opinion, but are also logical at the same time. This has served me very well. My confidence is much higher and I don't have a problem speaking up for what I believe in. I have also become much more calm and introverted. I am excited to make it through phase 3 to reach complete peace and harmony :)

Here's a good example to show how my Te has developed compared to when it wasn't as developed. This started happening for me at about 22-24 and had been living on my own for a few years...I was raised by socially conservative Parents; as a young ENFP I believed the same as my parents because I believed their opinions were the "right" ones. I just believed it, therefore I followed it. As I got older, I started to find myself and realize my OWN opinions. I discovered I am socially Liberal and as I learned more and more about myself, I became more and more comfortable and confident in my opinions. This is because I applied Te (logic) to my ideas and they came together making sense to me. Of course, my parents have a logical explanation for being conservative, I'm not suggesting their beliefs are irrational :) The point is, I went from "I am socially conservative because I believe it's correct" to "I am socially liberal because of reasons A. B. C. D. etc. etc.". Of course, I could've listed reasons for why I followed social conservative views back then, but they were not MY reasons, they were the points I heard my parents make and I just believed they were correct. When finding myself, I formed my own opinions and logic for them whether they were different from anyone else's or not. I hope that made sense! Haha!

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a good example of how I developed my Te...I was raised by socially conservative Parents; as a young ENFP I believed the same as my parents because I believed their opinions were the "right" ones. I just believed it, therefore I followed it. As I got older, I started to find myself and realize my OWN opinions. I discovered I am socially Liberal and as I learned more and more about myself, I became more and more comfortable and confident in my opinions. This is because I applied Te (logic) to my ideas and they came together making sense to me. Of course, my parents have a logical explanation for being conservative, I'm not suggesting their beliefs are irrational :) The point is, I went from "I am socially conservative because I believe it's correct" to "I am socially liberal because of reasons A. B. C. D. etc. etc.". Of course, I could've listed reasons for why I followed social conservative views back then, but they were not MY reasons, they were the points I heard my parents make and I just believed they were correct. When finding myself, I formed my own opinions and logic for them whether they were different from anyone else's or not. I hope that made sense! Haha!
Your process appears to be very similar to what I have been trying to apply for the past 2-3 years or so. I feel that I am becoming more and more confident as I practice this more (and you're right, it also gives me much more confidence in voicing my opinions/beliefs)

Your example is almost identical to my own! It was when I really began to question the politcal beliefs that I had been brought up on that I realised my way of thinking was changing (again, I don't believe my parents way of thinking is 'irrational' either- it's just very different to my own views). Unfortunately, I have a rather controlling/manipultive mother, so for years I was constantly told that the reason why I thought differently to them because I was somehow, 'mentally ill.' I think this, along with other factors, made me feel more uncertain about using Te ... and hampered my development somewhat (I'm sure there are many examples similar to this that have also affected others)

Thanks for the input, much appreciated! :)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Learn an instrument! Play a competitive game! Do something that involves putting yourself in a set of rules that you can use creatively!

Games help train your mind to think in vastly different ways. They're a test of your ability to understand and utilize rules in numerous contexts and make you think both creatively and logically--in other words, these games help develop Te by forcing you to apply logic externally.

A couple of examples:

1. Music

At the age of 9, my mom started me on piano lessons. At first, I had a love-hate relationship with it. Now I could chart out all those songs I was picking out on the radio! But I also had to use proper fingerings and confine myself to what was on the page. :( But I could express myself within the rules! How forte is forte? How piano is piano? How rubato is rubato? I could do whatever! It's great! I got into playing more and more instruments (I'm at 6 going on 7 right now) and absolutely love the "strict creativity" that music allows. :D

What I learned from music about Te is how to utilize rules and limitations to my advantage. Did you know that you can know the notes before you even read them for the first time? If the music is written halfway decently (or, at the very least, is diatonic), you can go, "Oh, look! A Bb chord is coming up!" You can just ignore that Bb chord completely and focus on something that really matters, like that stupid chromatic bullshit.

2. Chess

I got into chess when I was about 10 or 11. I wasn't good at it, granted, but that's when I first learned the rules of chess. In 7th grade (I'd be 13.), I started playing at a more serious level--still not good, but learning how to get there. My love for chess hasn't died since, and it really enforces that external, logical thinking that embodies Te. e4 is a strong opening move, for sure, but what about d5? Could that ruin his plan by opening up my d rank first instead of e? These are minor differences that make a huge impact on the way a chess game is played, and it all comes from a deep understanding of the geometrical and mathematical ways that the pieces interact with each other!

Chess is probably more useful for developing Te than music because it's almost pure Te. You have to think ahead about multiple lines of play, deciding which is best, and respond to your opponent's moves while advancing your own strategy. It isn't enough to just go, "This feels right," and do it. Why is it right? Is it even right to begin with? These are questions you have to ask about every viable move on the board. Most you can look at and go, "That does nothing for me," and you'd be correct, but you need to take time out to really evaluate important moves before they happen, and that takes Te.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
http://personalitycafe.com/enfp-articles/91932-phases-enfp-growth.html

Here's a tip @KookyTookie, I heard this quote, and I swear it changed the way I think...ok it's silly, so don't laugh but....it's from Judge Judy; she says "if it doesn't make sense, it probably isn't true" so, this made me start rationalizing everything my Ne told me. This made me feel strength because it gave me something I could explain and accept in regard to what my Ne was telling me. If my Ne was leading me, I started to set it aside for a moment while I let Te make sense of it...and I'm not talking about social studies...I'm talking about views on humanity, theory, concept...the big picture :)

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a tip @KookyTookie , I heard this quote, and I swear it changed the way I think...ok it's silly, so don't laugh but....it's from Judge Judy; she says "if it doesn't make sense, it probably isn't true" so, this made me start rationalizing everything my Ne told me. This made me feel strength because it gave me something I could explain and accept in regard to what my Ne was telling me. If my Ne was leading me, I started to set it aside for a moment while I let Te make sense of it...and I'm not talking about social studies...I'm talking about views on humanity, theory, concept...the big picture :)
Gotta love judge Judy! ;)

Out of interest, was this process something that occurred naturally for you, or were you already accustomed to some basic understanding of MBTI/cognitive function theory?

Totally off-topic - tell me about Si development, I'm intrigued!

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
Learn an instrument! Play a competitive game! Do something that involves putting yourself in a set of rules that you can use creatively!
Yeah. Your post made me realise that the stuff I've always found interesting as a kid was probably due to the fact that it was appealing to Te. So I'll share some of those things as they may help. (Firstly, I'd point out that although I love chess, my opinion is that it suits Ti much more than Te in the deep calculations that are required).

- Maths. Try thinking of something that might be interesting to work out. For example, suppose you want to make one of your rooms into a ball pit. Try to find out what the diameter and volume of the balls are, and the dimensions of the room and area you need to fill to get a ball pit. Then calculate how many balls you'd need to fill the space, and how much it would cost in total, given a price for each ball. That would be the type of calculation I'd find relaxing to try to work out ;)

- Classification. I love organising things and classifying them according to some sort of structure. I'm not sure of good examples of this, but alphabetising books, CDs, DVDs etc might be a start. Colour-coding might be an idea too. However, I'm usually too lazy to physically move stuff, so if you're like that, then you might want to 'virtually' classify by creating a spreadsheet. Make a list of things and then try to group them. Even better if you can come up with some fancy Excel formulae to automate things for you. In fact, thinking about that is getting me excited...

- Efficiency/optimisation. This is probably a combination of the above, but I like to make things better and find 'the best' option. So, for example, if I wanted to buy the most powerful car for the least money, I could do a bit of research to tabulate all cars, find their prices and horsepower and calculate the power:price ratio to see which is the best.

PS You're all bigger than me which is nice because I don't feel so old any more :laughing:

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
- Maths. Try thinking of something that might be interesting to work out. For example, suppose you want to make one of your rooms into a ball pit. Try to find out what the diameter and volume of the balls are, and the dimensions of the room and area you need to fill to get a ball pit. Then calculate how many balls you'd need to fill the space, and how much it would cost in total, given a price for each ball. That would be the type of calculation I'd find relaxing to try to work out ;)

- Classification. I love organising things and classifying them according to some sort of structure. I'm not sure of good examples of this, but alphabetising books, CDs, DVDs etc might be a start. Colour-coding might be an idea too. However, I'm usually too lazy to physically move stuff, so if you're like that, then you might want to 'virtually' classify by creating a spreadsheet. Make a list of things and then try to group them. Even better if you can come up with some fancy Excel formulae to automate things for you. In fact, thinking about that is getting me excited...

- Efficiency/optimisation. This is probably a combination of the above, but I like to make things better and find 'the best' option. So, for example, if I wanted to buy the most powerful car for the least money, I could do a bit of research to tabulate all cars, find their prices and horsepower and calculate the power:price ratio to see which is the best.

PS You're all bigger than me which is nice because I don't feel so old any more :laughing:
More tips, thanks! :D

You realise that now all I can think about is how awesome it would be if my room were actually a giant ball pit :shocked::dry::tongue:

Well I'm glad somebody gets excited through making Excel spreadsheets :kitteh:

I can tell this is going to require some serious hardwork :frustrating::confused:

Does arguing a point when writing an essay count...?!

Don't worry about us being bigger. Even if we were a bunch of 80 year old ENFPs, chances are we'd still be more childlike than the majority of the population!

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
You realise that now all I can think about is how awesome it would be if my room were actually a giant ball pit :shocked::dry::tongue:
Well, I was thinking about how doing the taxes or accounts would be a good Te development skill. But even thinking about thinking about that stuff makes me want to poke my eyes out somewhat. So the idea is to get your mind thinking in a Te-way but using examples and scenarios that interest you so that you're getting some enjoyment out of it. Hence I thought the ball pit example might be a good one for an ENFP ;)

Actually, I'd be happy to give you some maths problems to solve if you wanted, but I think that might be going too far for you, I'm not sure :p

Does arguing a point when writing an essay count...?!
Not really. I think ENFPs are already good at that to be honest. Ne helps. Maybe trying to incorporate some statistics or percentages in your argument might help if you aren't doing so already. Oh, and actually sticking to one point :laughing:

Don't worry about us being bigger. Even if we were a bunch of 80 year old ENFPs, chances are we'd still be more childlike than the majority of the population!
Very true. I remember giving a few of my friends/family online MBTI tests to help figure out their types a while ago. I watched a few of them fill them out, and I can distinctly remember being internally horrified when I saw a few answering the following question with B!

Do you think:

A: Children do not exercise their fantasy enough
B: Children do not make themselves useful enough

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Gotta love judge Judy! ;)

Out of interest, was this process something that occurred naturally for you, or were you already accustomed to some basic understanding of MBTI/cognitive function theory?

Totally off-topic - tell me about Si development, I'm intrigued!
This all happened on its own, exactly the way the phases are described in that article, which was amazing to me. It wasn't until about 6 mos. ago that I took an interest in cognitive functions.

Categorizing and classification!!!! Yes!! That is a great exercise for Te! As well as efficiency like @Blue Ocean said :) I ALWAYS research and check reviews on almost anything I plan to buy ahead of time. When I registered for my baby shower, I read reviews on every bottle system and went over the features of each one to decide which I wanted for my baby. Same with car seats, strollers, and not just baby stuff...TVs, cameras, video cameras, even my stools sitting at the island in my kitchen! Haha!

I have always been an organizer, like organizing my closet in order: strapless, tanks, short sleeve, long sleeve, sweaters, hoodies, dresses. I also always organized my spice cabinet and pantry into categories as well. All the little things, like my medicine cabinet, dressers, closets, etc. I have always put things into categories, so if this isn't something you do on a regular basis, try playing with it; it doesn't have to be really elaborate, just little things like I've mentioned...oh and books too! I have DVD's in an old cd book and I have them organized as: kids shows, kids misc movies, Disney movies, adult comedy, adult drama, etc. etc. basically everything in my home that could be categorized I categorize, haha! I just don't always put things back as I use them, so things get untidy and I have to go through and reorganize everything. Don't even get me started on my kids play room and toys! Holy cow, I categorize their toys so much it makes my ENTJ Husband's head spin, and he's Te Dom and LOVES Excel spreadsheets, hahaha!!!!

Sorry for the repetitiveness, but I want to explain the entire process in order...what started to happen with me was as my Ne was bringing me thoughts and ideas, I stripped them down and analyzed them to find logical reasons for my thoughts. This validated them for me and made me feel confident in them. It's kind of like dissecting and learning how to go through all the parts, categorize them, and put it all back together. It's like a reversed process for me...I get the thought or idea, and I have to dissect it to understand exactly why I believe it to be true. Once dissected, I analyze all the parts and rationalize them. I read, look up information, sometimes just contemplate on my own and I make sense of it. Once the logic is there, I can apply it to my overall thought and voila! It is gold for me :) This sounds complicated, I know, but it really happens rather quickly. Some are almost instant, others take me some time. For example, I might notice a pattern in behavior of others and wonder why it is...I'll think about it and connect it to facts I already know, or I might need to dig further to make perfect sense of it. This is also where Si comes in...

Si is connecting things in the past to the present. I have always been good at remembering names, faces, and reference to time. I always know if your face looks familiar, and I can almost always connect why. The way I apply it to Te at this point is when I have an idea, and I contemplate on it, I will look to the past to see if there is any connection. For example, when I notice a behavior in myself and I wonder why it is, I will sometimes look back to my childhood in an abstract way and link it to being a possible cause or connection. Say for instance a person has issues with trust and jealousy (a hypothetical, no specific person in mind), I will decipher that as insecurity....what makes a person insecure? So then I might look at what I know about the person and their past...well, this person's Dad was in and out of his life, so perhaps his insecurity is related to the lack of stability in his childhood? Then I will look up how childhood issues such as this can effect the security, self esteem, and confidence of a person later in life to see if it is a plausible connection. I give a lot of human behavior examples simply because that is one of my deepest passions, but this thought process can really be applied to just about anything :)

Right now I am hyper Si it seems, which is a normal part of the 3rd phase of development for an ENFP. I think it might be similar to when a person has a lazy eye and they wear a patch over their strong eye to force the weak eye to work harder and strengthen itself. I THINK that is what our brains do when we strengthen functions...this is simply a thought I have that comes from Ne (finding the hidden meaning), Fi (I just believe it because it feels true), and Si (connecting it to something I've known in the past ie: the lazy eye). If I want to feel confident in this hypothesis, I will look up information and find facts to support it. If I can't find facts to support it, I will determine it was an incorrect thought :)

I hope that all makes sense, and sorry this is so long!!

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
By the way...I think I'm using a lot of Te when I break down my thought process and categorize it into the functions...

So I would say, learning about cognitive functions and categorizing your thoughts into them is a good exercise for Te too :)

I was also trying to think of how I utilize math in my everyday life and how it contributed to my Te development. I can speak for myself only when I say that the example of the ball pit @Blue Ocean mentioned was very awesomely ENFP of him to think of something so fun, but unfortunately, that type of math is nauseating to me. I personally enjoy using simple math to plan and organize personal goals, for instance:

When I wanted to lose weight, I would use simple addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to make a weight loss plan. I would write out the weight I am, and the weight I want to be, and by when. The I would figure out how many pounds I would need to lose per week in order to get to that goal. I would also figure out how many calories I would need daily in order to reach that goal. It was very simple and quite enjoyable for me because I could see my plan come to life :)

Also, I try to avoid using calculators. I will do silly things sometimes like add up a good amount of numbers (like all the monthly bills) on paper rather than on a calculator. This might make people look at me like "what are you, 80?!" but I actually LIKE doing that. I also enjoy finding averages...like how much I spend on groceries on average. It's not calculus, but it's math and it's very doable to use on a regular basis :)

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I was thinking about how doing the taxes or accounts would be a good Te development skill. But even thinking about thinking about that stuff makes me want to poke my eyes out somewhat. So the idea is to get your mind thinking in a Te-way but using examples and scenarios that interest you so that you're getting some enjoyment out of it. Hence I thought the ball pit example might be a good one for an ENFP ;)

Actually, I'd be happy to give you some maths problems to solve if you wanted, but I think that might be going too far for you, I'm not sure :p
Ball pit is definitely a good example for an ENFP....if said ENFP manages to stop thinking about all the wonderfully different coloured balls and concentrates on solving the problem instead :p

I've always wanted to be more able at solving maths problems- I'm AWFUL with numbers .... I actually have to count on my fingers to work things out. I'm not sure I have enough body parts to count in order to solve the problems you might suggest....:unsure:

Maybe trying to incorporate some statistics or percentages in your argument might help if you aren't doing so already. Oh, and actually sticking to one point :laughing:
THIS is actually my biggest issue when writing essays! I am working on this though...

Very true. I remember giving a few of my friends/family online MBTI tests to help figure out their types a while ago. I watched a few of them fill them out, and I can distinctly remember being internally horrified when I saw a few answering the following question with B!

Do you think:

A: Children do not exercise their fantasy enough
B: Children do not make themselves useful enough
That is horrifying. Unfortunately, it's these kinds of views that our current education system were built upon...which is why I don't think school was great for me (and which may go some way in explaining why maths makes me break out in hives)

MY CREATIVITY WAS LOOKED DOWN UPON :crying::crying::crying:

and then at university I was taught "how to be creative" ....which is fairly ironic seeing as the education system seems so intent on dismissing "divergent thinking" in children from a very young age.

says the ENFP who is about to embark on a career in education :frustrating:

This all happened on its own, exactly the way the phases are described in that article, which was amazing to me. It wasn't until about 6 mos. ago that I took an interest in cognitive functions.

Categorizing and classification!!!! Yes!! That is a great exercise for Te! As well as efficiency like @Blue Ocean said :) I ALWAYS research and check reviews on almost anything I plan to buy ahead of time. When I registered for my baby shower, I read reviews on every bottle system and went over the features of each one to decide which I wanted for my baby. Same with car seats, strollers, and not just baby stuff...TVs, cameras, video cameras, even my stools sitting at the island in my kitchen! Haha!

I have always been an organizer, like organizing my closet in order: strapless, tanks, short sleeve, long sleeve, sweaters, hoodies, dresses. I also always organized my spice cabinet and pantry into categories as well. All the little things, like my medicine cabinet, dressers, closets, etc. I have always put things into categories, so if this isn't something you do on a regular basis, try playing with it; it doesn't have to be really elaborate, just little things like I've mentioned...oh and books too! I have DVD's in an old cd book and I have them organized as: kids shows, kids misc movies, Disney movies, adult comedy, adult drama, etc. etc. basically everything in my home that could be categorized I categorize, haha! I just don't always put things back as I use them, so things get untidy and I have to go through and reorganize everything. Don't even get me started on my kids play room and toys! Holy cow, I categorize their toys so much it makes my ENTJ Husband's head spin, and he's Te Dom and LOVES Excel spreadsheets, hahaha!!!!

Sorry for the repetitiveness, but I want to explain the entire process in order...what started to happen with me was as my Ne was bringing me thoughts and ideas, I stripped them down and analyzed them to find logical reasons for my thoughts. This validated them for me and made me feel confident in them. It's kind of like dissecting and learning how to go through all the parts, categorize them, and put it all back together. It's like a reversed process for me...I get the thought or idea, and I have to dissect it to understand exactly why I believe it to be true. Once dissected, I analyze all the parts and rationalize them. I read, look up information, sometimes just contemplate on my own and I make sense of it. Once the logic is there, I can apply it to my overall thought and voila! It is gold for me :) This sounds complicated, I know, but it really happens rather quickly. Some are almost instant, others take me some time. For example, I might notice a pattern in behavior of others and wonder why it is...I'll think about it and connect it to facts I already know, or I might need to dig further to make perfect sense of it. This is also where Si comes in...

Si is connecting things in the past to the present. I have always been good at remembering names, faces, and reference to time. I always know if your face looks familiar, and I can almost always connect why. The way I apply it to Te at this point is when I have an idea, and I contemplate on it, I will look to the past to see if there is any connection. For example, when I notice a behavior in myself and I wonder why it is, I will sometimes look back to my childhood in an abstract way and link it to being a possible cause or connection. Say for instance a person has issues with trust and jealousy (a hypothetical, no specific person in mind), I will decipher that as insecurity....what makes a person insecure? So then I might look at what I know about the person and their past...well, this person's Dad was in and out of his life, so perhaps his insecurity is related to the lack of stability in his childhood? Then I will look up how childhood issues such as this can effect the security, self esteem, and confidence of a person later in life to see if it is a plausible connection. I give a lot of human behavior examples simply because that is one of my deepest passions, but this thought process can really be applied to just about anything :)

Right now I am hyper Si it seems, which is a normal part of the 3rd phase of development for an ENFP. I think it might be similar to when a person has a lazy eye and they wear a patch over their strong eye to force the weak eye to work harder and strengthen itself. I THINK that is what our brains do when we strengthen functions...this is simply a thought I have that comes from Ne (finding the hidden meaning), Fi (I just believe it because it feels true), and Si (connecting it to something I've known in the past ie: the lazy eye). If I want to feel confident in this hypothesis, I will look up information and find facts to support it. If I can't find facts to support it, I will determine it was an incorrect thought :)

I hope that all makes sense, and sorry this is so long!!
whoaa! Thanks again for this insight- I love it! :happy:

I completely follow what you're saying, and I can relate to it in many ways as well. Funnily enough, I think my Si is not too badly developed....I want to keep working on the Te though, I'll worry about Si later!

Thanks guys :D

·
Registered
583 Posts
I think the last couple of years have been paramount for my Te developing. I look back at the person I was when I was 20 and I might as well have been 5. All I cared about was experiencing things. I went to college to experience it more than to learn anything.

Te has influenced my faith a great deal in the last 2 years. I'm a Christian, but I have the habit of trying to destroy my own faith with whatever the best arguments against it are out there. I've done this since high school, but the last couple of years it's really clicked. My faith used to be based mostly one personal experience and I would say Ne observation, but now with Te involved I have a lot more confidence in it. I used to teach the Bible and I was always afraid that someone would ask me a question that I just couldn't answer. Now I feel a lot more confident to the point where I feel that I can give at least a passable answer to the tough questions and if I'm not satisfied tell them I'll look into it or something. The whole framework of my faith has changed now I feel that it's not only useful, but reasonable as well.

Now you don't have to apply Te to faith like me, but you probably have principles that need to be justified. Delving into that might make you more confident in what you just thought before. I hope that's helpful.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I think the last couple of years have been paramount for my Te developing. I look back at the person I was when I was 20 and I might as well have been 5. All I cared about was experiencing things. I went to college to experience it more than to learn anything.

Te has influenced my faith a great deal in the last 2 years. I'm a Christian, but I have the habit of trying to destroy my own faith with whatever the best arguments against it are out there. I've done this since high school, but the last couple of years it's really clicked. My faith used to be based mostly one personal experience and I would say Ne observation, but now with Te involved I have a lot more confidence in it. I used to teach the Bible and I was always afraid that someone would ask me a question that I just couldn't answer. Now I feel a lot more confident to the point where I feel that I can give at least a passable answer to the tough questions and if I'm not satisfied tell them I'll look into it or something. The whole framework of my faith has changed now I feel that it's not only useful, but reasonable as well.

Now you don't have to apply Te to faith like me, but you probably have principles that need to be justified. Delving into that might make you more confident in what you just thought before. I hope that's helpful.
This is very interesting to me...maybe sometime you could share the logic that settled your questions related to your faith with me? Te took me in the opposite direction; this can be hard for me because my entire family is Christian, so I feel so fake when I do Christian things with my parents and grandparents but I don't believe it. Of course, I keep it to myself because I don't want to upset them. I'm not looking for a debate, I'd actually like it of your logic could override the logic in my head related to this :) and of course, I'm not asking for this discussion to happen in this thread :)

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
I'm not sure I have enough body parts to count in order to solve the problems you might suggest....:unsure:
At first I thought that was some sort of euphemism. And you're the one that's supposed to have Ne :laughing:

How about this one (I'm making it up on the spot so it may be a little silly):

You have a recipe for some nice cake. The ingredients are as follows:

Flour - 500g
Butter - 1kg (because I'm a fatty)
Sugar - 100g
Eggs - 4
Walnuts - 80g

Unfortunately, the recipe is for 4 people, but you want to make the cake for exactly 7 people.

a) Work out the quantities of ingredients you need to make the cake for 7 people, in grams.

You decide that you still want to make the cake for 7 people, but you want to add chocolate chips to it. To do so, you must reduce the sugar by 20% to stop yourself getting a sugar rush.

b) How much sugar would you now require?

I'm not sure if this is too easy for you. Did you do maths past GCSE?

THIS is actually my biggest issue when writing essays! I am working on this though...
Reminds me of an exchange with my friend (first one):

http://personalitycafe.com/intj-for...rpts-everyday-conversation-4.html#post2268519

That is horrifying. Unfortunately, it's these kinds of views that our current education system were built upon...which is why I don't think school was great for me (and which may go some way in explaining why maths makes me break out in hives)

MY CREATIVITY WAS LOOKED DOWN UPON :crying::crying::crying:

and then at university I was taught "how to be creative" ....which is fairly ironic seeing as the education system seems so intent on dismissing "divergent thinking" in children from a very young age.
The modern schooling system was (I believe) designed around the industrial revolution. Memorising formulae and stuff was your ticket to become the next Brunel. The world landscape has since changed quite dramatically, and there is much more a need for innovation than 'brute force calculation' which can be done by computers and other machines. Unfortunately, the schooling system hasn't evolved in line with the economy.

I loved maths as a kid. I started to find it really annoying because of some things we learnt at GCSE level which I thought were pointless, and also some of the A Level stuff. Then, I went to university and fell in love with it again. There's definitely something wrong in the middle there.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
At first I thought that was some sort of euphemism. And you're the one that's supposed to have Ne :laughing:

How about this one (I'm making it up on the spot so it may be a little silly):

You have a recipe for some nice cake. The ingredients are as follows:

Flour - 500g
Butter - 1kg (because I'm a fatty)
Sugar - 100g
Eggs - 4
Walnuts - 80g

Unfortunately, the recipe is for 4 people, but you want to make the cake for exactly 7 people.

a) Work out the quantities of ingredients you need to make the cake for 7 people, in grams.

You decide that you still want to make the cake for 7 people, but you want to add chocolate chips to it. To do so, you must reduce the sugar by 20% to stop yourself getting a sugar rush.

b) How much sugar would you now require?
Omg omg omg I got sooooo excited when I saw your example of the cake recipe and making it for 7 people! I do this allll the time! Except, I would just cheat and double it to make it for 8 :p

Although, I do tend to add different things to the recipe (like the chocolate chips and reducing the sugar) that can change things up, so I have to do a little more involved math than just doubling the recipe to figure it out :)

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
That's why I chose 7 rather than 8 ;)
But I would just make it for 8 anyway, hahaha! Leftovers are always welcome! :)

I thought of another everyday math example! Shopping and tips for servers. I never use a calculator to figure out what something will cost when it's on sale, or how much of a tip I should give. I like to figure it out myself in my head, except again I cheat and just round the numbers :)

Also, when I worked, I used to like to figure out what my paycheck would be. I used a set percentage to deduct taxes and health insurance premium to get a close round about idea of what my paycheck would be :) Easy stuff, but enjoyable to me :)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts