Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that most Te users enjoy being in leadership positions, are often controlling, and enjoy having power? Refute or deny my claim.

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
I'd expect most Js like some element of control, its in their nature, if you add a T to the equation it makes sense they would like to take a type of control that is systemic but power I'm less sure on, but yes I think you're right for the most part.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Power: I don't necessarily care for power, but if I'm not leading, you can't make me feel like you're walking all over my face.
Leadership: I don't care as long as you treat me like an equal. You need get the job done to meet my high standards, even if it's not how I would do things. Either meet them or exceed them, or don't be surprised if I stop respecting you. Should that happen, you're not leading again if I have my way; you have a responsibility to me and the group, and you cannot fail. If I'm content to let you lead, it speaks volumes of how much I respect you and your capabilities. Don't disappoint me.
Control: The whole operation must be in control, either by you, the leader, or by the whole group. If you lose control, get your ass off that throne. I'm taking over. It means staying organized, observing deadlines, knowing where the project is headed, making sure every member is pulling his weight, etc.

As a leader, your responsibilities are:
1. Motivate people and delegate tasks
2. Do your part
3. Make sure everybody does theirs.
4. Coordinate the project and make sure it comes together
5. Set goals, milestones and deadlines. Chart the course.
6. Make sure every group member knows what to do and can work together.

The OP's statement is true to an extent, but I truly care about having the job done well and being respected, not the act of leading or feeling powerful. But to achieve that, I usually have to lead, unfortunately.Want something done well, do it yourself.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I went to an all girl's boarding school run by a former Marine in high school and I was leadership there, then I joined the Air Force and I was leadership there. I joined all kinds of groups and associations and essentially took over because I was the only one competent enough to effectively run them...

It is in my nature to want anything that I am a part of to run smoothly. That does not mean that I HAVE to be in control- if there is a more competent person for the job than myself, I'm usually pretty good at letting them do their thing without me getting in the way of things.

I do love power, but I think that with enough money, power is easily attainable. Quick fix there. I would not say that I am power hungry, to the point that I am entertained by just abusing power/money (although I have done this when I was younger- especially to people I didn't like or to those who took advantage of my friends). I just want things to go my way :)

As far as control goes, I am a control freak. I will not have more than two drinks in a night unless I am in my own home, or with a group of people I completely trust. My condo is pretty much a locked down facility, and no one can get to my house unless they have been called in through the security, then the concierge, go through two locked doors... What else? The way my clothes are folded, my shoes are color code organized, I have like six billion rules about who I will associate with... So yeah. I've pretty much given up on trying to control others though. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Or as one of my professors said, "You can lead a student to education, but you can't make him think."

I'm pretty sure XSTJ's are definitely the worst control freaks.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Un-uh....

I know for myself, I'd rather stay in the shadows and get things done than have to deal with people and all the baggage that goes with it. Drawing up plans would be something I'd enjoy but executing those plans, not so much. I consider myself more of a reluctant leader, that if no one else will step up I will but this can be very rarely done.

In many ways I'm echoing Persephone's fine response. I like structure and order yes, but I don't want to be that high on the list usually.

Oddly enough, my team lead where I work is an ISTJ and seems fine with the role. I just prefer being more versatile and doing what needs to get done to move forward in a good way. I'll also concede that I hide too many things and have poor social skills that can make my leadership style a bit rough around the edges for some people.

·
Banned
932 Posts
I enjoy leadership positions. I will gladly guide and teach others, so long as they ultimately make their own decisions. As for power and control- I would rather the responsibility be on someone else's shoulders, not mine.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went to an all girl's boarding school run by a former Marine in high school and I was leadership there, then I joined the Air Force and I was leadership there. I joined all kinds of groups and associations and essentially took over because I was the only one competent enough to effectively run them...

It is in my nature to want anything that I am a part of to run smoothly. That does not mean that I HAVE to be in control- if there is a more competent person for the job than myself, I'm usually pretty good at letting them do their thing without me getting in the way of things.

I do love power, but I think that with enough money, power is easily attainable. Quick fix there. I would not say that I am power hungry, to the point that I am entertained by just abusing power/money (although I have done this when I was younger- especially to people I didn't like or to those who took advantage of my friends). I just want things to go my way :)

As far as control goes, I am a control freak. I will not have more than two drinks in a night unless I am in my own home, or with a group of people I completely trust. My condo is pretty much a locked down facility, and no one can get to my house unless they have been called in through the security, then the concierge, go through two locked doors... What else? The way my clothes are folded, my shoes are color code organized, I have like six billion rules about who I will associate with... So yeah. I've pretty much given up on trying to control others though. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Or as one of my professors said, "You can lead a student to education, but you can't make him think."

I'm pretty sure XSTJ's are definitely the worst control freaks.
So you seem to be a gold digger and a control freak. Basically, you are the mother from American Beauty. Interesting

·
Registered
707 Posts
lol. I make my own money, thank you very much. I own my own business and all! I'm only a control freak if no one else is competent enough. Respect is absolutely required in any real friendship/relationship I have. Otherwise, yeah, I turn into that sort of a bitch.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol. I make my own money, thank you very much. I own my own business and all! I'm only a control freak if no one else is competent enough. Respect is absolutely required in any real friendship/relationship I have. Otherwise, yeah, I turn into that sort of a bitch.
Say hi to your husband Lester for me......

Would you like smiley fries with that?

Oh yeah, just curious...What kind of business do you own?

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Power: I don't necessarily care for power, but if I'm not leading, you can't make me feel like you're walking all over my face.
Leadership: I don't care as long as you treat me like an equal. You need get the job done to meet my high standards, even if it's not how I would do things. Either meet them or exceed them, or don't be surprised if I stop respecting you. Should that happen, you're not leading again if I have my way; you have a responsibility to me and the group, and you cannot fail. If I'm content to let you lead, it speaks volumes of how much I respect you and your capabilities. Don't disappoint me.
Control: The whole operation must be in control, either by you, the leader, or by the whole group. If you lose control, get your ass off that throne. I'm taking over. It means staying organized, observing deadlines, knowing where the project is headed, making sure every member is pulling his weight, etc.

As a leader, your responsibilities are:
1. Motivate people and delegate tasks
2. Do your part
3. Make sure everybody does theirs.
4. Coordinate the project and make sure it comes together
5. Set goals, milestones and deadlines. Chart the course.
6. Make sure every group member knows what to do and can work together.

The OP's statement is true to an extent, but I truly care about having the job done well and being respected, not the act of leading or feeling powerful. But to achieve that, I usually have to lead, unfortunately.Want something done well, do it yourself.
Yeah, this...

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
I require control and power over my life, my projects, and anything that is mine.

Leadership involves other people. Fuck that. Someone needs to coordinate things sure, but competent people shouldn't need someone ordering them around. All I require is competence and communication. And, if it comes to it, I will drag that out of people.

·
Banned
557 Posts
I've noticed that most Te users enjoy being in leadership positions, are often controlling, and enjoy having power? Refute or deny my claim.
I do enjoy being in a leadership position and having power. With more power I can do more and I like doing and accomplishing many things. I'm not much of a control freak though, I've been around one and absolutely hate them! :angry:They try to tell you where to piss, shit, as well as eat. It's a complete pain in the ass and those under their control can end up being absolutely pitiful people.

The absolute worst control freaks are XSTJs. They can be boring, controlling, dominating, simple-headed nitwits, and just be an annoyance. They piss me off to great lengths. They make me want to beat them down with crowbars. People are going to be different as well as carry themselves in different ways. Accept it already, you can't control everything you see! Stop being so simple-minded, think outside the box! There is more than just one way to do something! Also, more weak-minded or meek people can just end up crumbling under the XSTJs because if things aren't exactly the way these control freaks want it, all hell breaks loose!

Also, awesome post involving Lester working at Smiley Burger nate. That one made me LMAO! :laughing:

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
As an ISTJ, I have a somewhat scornful attitude towards people who enjoy exercising power. I will lead if asked to lead, but I don't usually enjoy taking on a leadership role.

I can be kind of controlling towards others about making sure all teh details are right. But I've had to learn to delegate and not be so much of a control freak.

·
Registered
791 Posts
The absolute worst control freaks are XSTJs. They can be boring, controlling, dominating, simple-headed nitwits, and just be an annoyance. They piss me off to great lengths. They make me want to beat them down with crowbars. People are going to be different as well as carry themselves in different ways. Accept it already, you can't control everything you see! Stop being so simple-minded, think outside the box! There is more than just one way to do something! Also, more weak-minded or meek people can just end up crumbling under the XSTJs because if things aren't exactly the way these control freaks want it, all hell breaks loose!
Hahaha. Here's what I wrote early in the week.

In my limited experience with them, they've been the most pedestrian, pedantic, micro-managing, self-aggrandizing and transparent toolbags that are incapable of seeing the forest from the trees that I have ever met.

The most apt description I have of the ones I have encountered is "HURRR DURRR, DERRRRRRRRRRRRP."

·
Banned
557 Posts

In my limited experience with them, they've been the most pedestrian, pedantic, micro-managing, self-aggrandizing and transparent toolbags that are incapable of seeing the forest from the trees that I have ever met.

The most apt description I have of the ones I have encountered is "HURRR DURRR, DERRRRRRRRRRRRP."
Weren't you the one who posted that humorous description of XSTJs or was that someone else, fn0rd? :crazy:

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Weren't you the one who posted that humorous description of XSTJs or was that someone else, fn0rd? :crazy:
From the SJ's that I have observed, most of them try to take the creativity, fun, and individuality out of the world and want everyone to conform.

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
I like working with ISTJs. They are so fantastically competent I don't have to worry about them ever screwing me over or slacking off or dragging everyone down. Amazingly sarcastic too.

·
MOTM July 2010
4,596 Posts
One thing I enjoy about being in a leadership position and have the power is, by having those, I am able to give a greater contribution to deliver a better company product, increase work efficiency, and help my colleagues to finish their task.

I was an amateur journalist when I first joined this company 2 years ago. As time goes by, my boss and my colleagues find my skill and competency very useful for another position. So I got raised to junior editor within 4 months, raised again to senior journalist in the next 6 months, and then raised again as editor in chief for a corporate magazine. Now I end up handling 3 corporate magazines.

Did I ask to be placed in this position? Certainly not. It is my boss and colleagues who think that I'm suit for this position because I make them work better, more organized, and more efficient. They don't find me controlling, they find me helpful and reliable. They come to me when they need help or advice and they trust my suggestions.

I was out of town to cover some series of events for 2 weeks. When I was there, my colleagues still calling me to asked my advice or suggestions about work matter. They also asked me to come home right away, they said things were mess without me at office. If they feel that I'm a control freak, I don't think I will have several raises in 2 years nor will I be trusted and liked by my colleagues.

With greater power, comes greater responsibility. Without the willingness and competency to take the responsibility, no one will trust you to have the power.

Reactions: Nitou
1 - 20 of 24 Posts