Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, kind of an old video but I'll post it:

I thought it would be a cool idea to talk about our favorite teacher. Can be any grade/class, or just whoever taught you the most in life.

My favorite teacher was in High School, during a period of time where I was very jaded in school. I never got into school spirit, I just dropped out of the International Baccalaureate program because I couldn't be bothered to study Spanish (ironic that now I'm teaching so many Spanish speakers as a TA, and will probably get an endorsement in ESL), just wanted to be a kid with no cares in the world.

This teacher initially taught me law, then history (and not of his fault at all I tried German for a week then bailed out). This guy was the anti-teacher. He wasn't permissive or anything, but didn't give a shit about school spirit or conformity at all. He was a Vietnam vet, which brought a ton of awesome stories*. Why I like Ts is that they call out my BS sometimes when that needs to happen, I'm sure he is a Thinker. He was also the best lecturer I ever had a chance to listen to. If you haven't heard a good lecture, please seek one out on a topic you like. In law I remembered that I got to do mock trial: successfully defended the company that made the Titanic (blaming the captain's drinking habits).

Anyway, he is one of the teachers that I credit for influencing my career change. I'm a life-long learner because of him. If you have/had somebody like that in your life, please share.

*He was in intelligence, trying to listen to Vietcong communications. His buddies and him would actually go buy pot from and visit the Vietcong who were also in intelligence across the way from him. He had some crazy bad trip stories.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
My favorite teacher isn't a teacher I've had. It's my friend who is an elementary school teacher. She is a new teacher and she has progressed so much in the past two years. I am so proud of her for staying with it, even when she thought she wouldn't be able to pull through, even when she had to deal with lack of support and bullshit from the terrible administration at her school, she still went out there every day to inspire and guide kids. She's one of the kindest and most involved people I know, and I know she will have an awesome career and many of her students will remember her as being the teacher that influenced them the most.

I had authority issues with most of my teachers despite being a good student, but probably the most positively influential teacher I had was my fifth-grade teacher. In her classroom she stressed the importance of being observant, of noticing the things that everybody else doesn't bother to notice. I can say she's really the only teacher I've had that changed the way I view the world on a daily basis.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I lucked out and ended up in his class for both freshman and sophomore English in high school. His name is Briedenbach. Tall, with straight sandy hair, thick glasses, rheumy, red-rimmed eyes, and an impeccable sense of fairness. He didn't care if you were rich, poor, jock, cheerleader, band nerd, or a pariah to your classmates. He only cared that you paid attention, did your work, and didn't disrupt his class. School spirit, hat days, or any other events didn't phase him. Just participate in his class discussions and get it done - on time.

A "C" in his class was truly average. An "A" meant that you were really putting in the effort.

He knew how to break things down so that anyone could understand it and master the concept. My only regret was that he didn't teach any other subjects.

No, I wasn't his pet. In fact, I don't think he had one. Ever. But he was fair and he was passionate. A great teacher.

He doesn't remember me. I was one of the thousands that came through his classes. However, I did email him about fifteen years ago, just to say "thanks." He was doing well and was appreciative of the contact.

And some forty years later, he's still the best instructor I've ever had.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My favorite teacher isn't a teacher I've had. It's my friend who is an elementary school teacher. She is a new teacher and she has progressed so much in the past two years. I am so proud of her for staying with it, even when she thought she wouldn't be able to pull through, even when she had to deal with lack of support and bullshit from the terrible administration at her school, she still went out there every day to inspire and guide kids. She's one of the kindest and most involved people I know, and I know she will have an awesome career and many of her students will remember her as being the teacher that influenced them the most.
It takes a badass to stick with teaching.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
I have so many favorite teachers, honestly.

First one that comes to mind was my Lit teacher last year. She helped me so much. Before I was diagnosed with PTSD, she was the first person I really opened up to about the trauma. She was the first person who told me that what was done to me was wrong. Which really helped me. She also read my story, and told me it was brilliant and that I had to keep writing.

I know that makes us sound too personal and her too nice, but she was a great teacher as well. She was just so passionate about literature. She taught it as it should be taught. She looked into the ethical / philosophical / moral folds of stories without going into political territory (which too many Lit teachers do when they teach about right and wrong within texts). She reached every student, and knew us personally even if she didn't know us personally. I just can't explain what a brilliant teacher she was. She was wonderful, and she helped me so incredibly much.

·
Banned
8,159 Posts
I had a teacher in high school who was awesome. He taught me chemistry and he actually got the province's best teacher award several times. He made everything we did fun. If we were doing stoichiometry, he made it fun. If we were conducting experiments, he made them fun. Actually, he gave us an unknown substance to identify and at the end of the lab we were to put all of our waste chemicals in a specific container for disposal and he picked it up and drank it. It was blue-colored sucrose, mind you, but it was absolutely hilarious. He also did pushups for us or jumped around, brought in weird things to demonstrate like throwing sodium in water, plating our pens in copper, and it's almost as if he was personally invested in each of us. He really helped me out in life. I've good friends with him and his wife, now after nearly fifteen years.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I have some amazing teachers in my family. Looking back on my school experience, I had some teachers I really loved, but now having lived with and worked with teachers, it's really just incredible to see how much care and effort most of them put in.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
This is a wonderful thread @bigstupidgrin I really don't know why I haven't seen it before.
Now being a teacher myself, I can understand what sort of things were done to me in order for my learning to happen. Maybe because I've always been into languages, most of the teachers I have good as well as bad memories of are teachers related to some language.
My Latin teacher in my final high school year was amazing. She pushed us so hard and she leveled up so much, our "selectivity" (A level exam in Spain) for Latin was the easiest thing ever. I had some pretty nice English teachers as well, but definitely not the ones from high school.

Reactions: bigstupidgrin

·
ѕησωум¢ѕησωƒα¢є
4,292 Posts
I had two great teachers. Mr Beer, who was a charismatic (ENFP) English teacher who managed to get even the rowdy kids in the class to enjoy his class and get decent grades. The other was Mr Griffin who fancied himself as a teacher-philosopher, who was a chemistry, biology and English teacher. In English class, he would talk shit about science and in chemistry, he would talk shit about the humanities. :laughing:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts