Personality Cafe banner

What enviornment do you work best in?

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is mainly pertaining in relation to programming but not solely, sort of branching off from this thread. I seem to work most efficiently by myself. The reason being is I don't have to leave my head to explain my train of thought to others and can just work things out without losing my pace. However the disadvantage to working alone is keeping myself on track. It's much easier for me to just doddle off into something completely unrelated. If the team gets much to large though (say more than three people) I begin to focus more on team management than the task at hand even if I'm not the 'team leader'.

Small teams seem to have the best balance for me. There is someone to keep me on track, motivate me, and encourage me. This boost to my confidence and the feed back I receive I think is well worth the sacrifice of changing my work pace. There are not so many people though I don't get overwhelmed in communication between everybody. The key number for me seems to be three people including myself. Working with a partner (specially another INTP) tends to lead to very weak communication. Having a third person there usually improves this greatly.

What environment do prefer? Now which one do you think you would work best in? I'm just curious to find out how other people operate in this area so maybe I can better understand how to improve myself.:happy:

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
I work well with a partner if I know who the partner is and I am friends with him. My INTJ friend and I, the guy who told me about the Pair Programming thing, are very good at working together because we have known each other for 4-5 years and can easily bounce off of each other's strengths and weaknesses.

If you throw me into a group with random people I don't really work well with them.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I would like to say solo but that is totally bullshit. The truth is I'm one lazy bastard.
A small team is manageble and you get motivated by the fact that other people depending on you, instead of just making it bad for yourself. And the more straightforward motivators, when someone isn't motivated others are and so forth.
I also ticked with a partner, I'm not sure if that is true or not, depends so much on the partner.
Large groups suck, to many people for me to open my mouth, so I just end up as a tag-along, do my part commanded by others, nothing more, nothing less.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
It depends. I voted for both small group and partner, but if the group/partner isn't really into the work and just messes around (as they are highly likely to do in university), you end up getting held back. Especially if the mark system, as at my university, includes a group mark.

However, if the group/partner is very willing to work, it can end up with great results. It motivates me to work harder, but also in a different way - communicating with people, which I generally don't do. Plus, other people have good ideas all the time, it might just be they aren't sure how to put the idea into something.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Is the partner an asshole?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
507 Posts
I prefer to not working at all, have you guys try the management level? Its good, as long you can design a timeline and keeping it on track. You only need tell people to do the job

·
Registered
INTP
1,738 Posts
Solo or with a partner... depending on what the project is and who the partner is. Once there are 3+ people, things start getting really disorganized and distracting and in a current project I'm working on where we have five people, I find communication becomes a real hassle. It's way easier to keep people on the same page when it's a partner pair. Way too often in our group of five, I find we have to repeat ourselves since there is always someone ((or multiple people)) who didn't catch something the first time around. I really hate repeating myself to people P: It's one of the most tiring things about group work for me.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I usually tend to slack off when working with anyone since I don't have to do all of the work.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I've had success working in groups of up to three people depending on group enthusiasm and chemestry, but above that the chances of getting someone who doesn't work or doesn't care makes it not worth the energy. It's best to work in pairs, so that the other person can work on it a little a day over a month and then I can do everything that's left the night before.

I seem to remember that times when I worked in groups of three with people I barely knew ended up being much more efficient than with strangers or friends. Finding new people to work with, having good discussions, and seeing different thought processes all while getting shit done happens best in those small groups.

·
Banned
279 Posts
In regards to school work, the only time I wish to work with someone else is if the task can be done more efficiently by dividing the workload MY way. Group projects are usually a waste of time. If I need something from you, I will contact you, then go back to solitude. I have a vision and don't wish to have other people's words represent my product. My decision is usually thought out and analyzed to death, convincing me to alter course is very difficult. If I hear something I like, I consider it and try to incorporate it into my current structure.

I believe the brainstorming process should be done alone. Where you can organize your ideas, analyze them, create an adequate model, THEN it is okay to bring something to a group. Brainstorming with a group is a bunch of incomplete thoughts floating through the air. Inefficient.

I remember asking my professor in class about why we are forced to write a group essay. Specifically saying, "it would be inefficient to do so because I work much better on my own." Needless to say, he was visibly irritated. It didn't turn out to be so bad because my partner was a good writer. I approved.But my professor's required page length was highly unnecessary and actually worsened the paper. Depending on the topic at hand, anything after a certain length is just filler-nonsense like bad songs on an album. Becomes quantity over substance.

Conclusion: Solitude > Group

1 - 16 of 16 Posts