Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think most INTP's are into gadgets and the internet. So I'm wondering what are some of your preferences.

Like do you prefer Macs vs PCs? iOS over Android? Facebook, Twitter, Google +?

Just wondering how close some matches come to my own way of thinking.

I'm a PC guy who owns a mac mini for an entertainment center. I also use mostly Android but I do have an iPad (And an Asus Tranformer). I tend to say I hate Apple but obviously I'll use their products. I'm also currently debating if I should stop using Facebook as my main social media and just start using Google + for that.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Windows all the way. (But I don't hate Macs.) I like Apple hardware aesthetics. I own a 2009 iMac, too.

I was all for Android (ICS was a good refresh, though) but I have been looking at Windows Phone lately.

Facebook. Twitter for specific things like competitions and what-not. Google+ is a ghost town for me.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
INTP's know better than to enter a potential fanboy argument and will therefore, refrain from comment.

I am still prone to using an abacus for all my calculative and gaming purposes. It makes a wonderful traveling companion as a conveyor skateboard as well. The beads will need replacing often though, but they're cheap to come by.

But for the sake of topic, I'm a PC guy with a Dell XPS15z for main workstation, Macbook Pro (late 2008) for mac box, Lenovo S12 for a hackintosh and linux box, custom built desktop rig for gaming, own an iphone but use as an ipod, have an hp pre 3 used as a phone and tether device, own a kindle keyboard for ebook portability, own an hp touchpad (for whatever the thing is worth still; tossed CM9 on it, didnt' like it, sticking with webos still until stable release of CM9 can take advantage of all hardware functions), own an Apple TV (haven't done much with it), have a fleet of retired laptops that can be repurposed for HTPC's if I ever get around to it.

I am impartial against choosing sides... everything has pros and cons... I try to learn them all and best attempt to utilize where each excels and recognize where they are crap. For example, touchscreen interface... Apple has that magnifying glass that shows position of where cursor is... I have NOT seen that as an option for WebOS, Android, Windows Phone UI's without tweak and modifications. One would think that should come standard.

WebOS has fantastic multitask handling and app killing whereas Android has to dig into the interface unless customized and Apple has that 'home' key being stuck problem... Windows Phone... ehhh... not enough apps to test the theory of app kill yet, but their memory management is quite intriguing from what i've seen so far.

In Windows 7, I had it configured to auto-download and run windows updates. Service Pack 1 crippled my install. I had to spend 4 hours to roll back via a system restore point because the built in function didn't work. I had to boot from a USB image just to bypass. WTF microsoft? At least for Apple, it dumps EVERYTHING into a .dmg... just recover from last working .dmg container and good to go.

Linux, night patches are fine and dandy, but when something breaks or doesn't work out of box, expect to spend a good couple of hours configuring to fit personal tastes.

I can't wait for mind control gadgets to be released en masse interfaced with operating systems. That's when the villiany will take full effect from me. =D

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
INTP's know better than to enter a potential fanboy argument and will therefore, refrain from comment.

I am still prone to using an abacus for all my calculative and gaming purposes. It makes a wonderful traveling companion as a conveyor skateboard as well. The beads will need replacing often though, but they're cheap to come by.

But for the sake of topic, I'm a PC guy with a Dell XPS15z for main workstation, Macbook Pro (late 2008) for mac box, Lenovo S12 for a hackintosh and linux box, custom built desktop rig for gaming, own an iphone but use as an ipod, have an hp pre 3 used as a phone and tether device, own a kindle keyboard for ebook portability, own an hp touchpad (for whatever the thing is worth still; tossed CM9 on it, didnt' like it, sticking with webos still until stable release of CM9 can take advantage of all hardware functions), own an Apple TV (haven't done much with it), have a fleet of retired laptops that can be repurposed for HTPC's if I ever get around to it.

I am impartial against choosing sides... everything has pros and cons... I try to learn them all and best attempt to utilize where each excels and recognize where they are crap. For example, touchscreen interface... Apple has that magnifying glass that shows position of where cursor is... I have NOT seen that as an option for WebOS, Android, Windows Phone UI's without tweak and modifications. One would think that should come standard.

WebOS has fantastic multitask handling and app killing whereas Android has to dig into the interface unless customized and Apple has that 'home' key being stuck problem... Windows Phone... ehhh... not enough apps to test the theory of app kill yet, but their memory management is quite intriguing from what i've seen so far.

In Windows 7, I had it configured to auto-download and run windows updates. Service Pack 1 crippled my install. I had to spend 4 hours to roll back via a system restore point because the built in function didn't work. I had to boot from a USB image just to bypass. WTF microsoft? At least for Apple, it dumps EVERYTHING into a .dmg... just recover from last working .dmg container and good to go.

Linux, night patches are fine and dandy, but when something breaks or doesn't work out of box, expect to spend a good couple of hours configuring to fit personal tastes.

I can't wait for mind control gadgets to be released en masse interfaced with operating systems. That's when the villiany will take full effect from me. =D
I had a Linuxzomg phase. I tried distros like Mint, Arch Linux, Crunchbang Linux, Ubuntu, Fedora, etc. and I realized it isn't giving me anything more than what Windows does apart from more customization and speed. My experience with Windows is awesome, so I switched back. I couldn't be bothered tinkering with various drivers and the 'console' (the linux command prompt, or whatever).

·
Registered
525 Posts
PC / Android / none of the above

I find Mac/IOS very good for hardware and software but:
- 25% overpriced compared to an equivalent PC/Android
- I dislike the marketing hype surrounding everything Apple
( Even Jobs, the man was a true and great visionary, but they way some deify and worship him . . . brrrrrrrrr)
- I'm not crazy about the fanboy'ism, I-boys seem to irk me a bit worse than Fandroids though.
- Despite all the humdrum I don't find IOS more intuitive than Android or Windows, to the contrary.
It is just a matter of preference, one system works better for person X while the other suits person Y better. There is no superior system.

I dislike the whole social networking thing, I choose not to have (and never did have) a facebook/twitter or google+

PS: As for Linux, see what those above me have posted. Love the efficiency and speed of it, but I like how windows doesn't me to put that much effort into it lol

·
Banned
2,616 Posts
I'd say windows and pc are far superior to apple products, at least my experience with such has painted it so. Plus I have an irrational view against apple since I view Mac owners to be pompous hipsters who probably shop at Trader Joes or something else totally baseless.

While I dislike this fact, I find myself on facebook more then I would like. I'm thinking of terminating it soon though so it stops taking time out of my day, but at the same time I'm not sure if I want to, because it is literally the only way I can keep in touch with certain people on my friends list. Perhaps some self control? Nah, fuck that.

I would choose facebook over the other two though, since I hear no one uses google plus, and twitter is too simple and lacks features.

I can't answer the android thing, never touched one in my life. Other then my laptop and phone (which is a basic crap phone since I think things akin to the iphone is a waste of money), I own no other electronic based technology.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I'm sure we can all have a nice discussion about our personal preferences without entering into some fanboy crap :)

I kind of miss my HP Touchpad now. Sold it to my sister for my nephew and it BOTHERS me so much to see how he doesn't take care of it. I tend to keep all my gadgets in almost perfect shape and I get sort of attached to them but I didn't know it would bother me so much.

At home I have 1 PC which is my Gaming PC, but it kind of needs replacing, doesn't handle new games all that well. But then I don't play WoW or any other MMO anymore so as much as I want to replace it, I can't find a good reason to.

I also have my laptop, nothing special, just an i5 processor samsung 17 incher. I have an older Compaq laptop somewhere that I don't use because it overheats like crazy and shuts down.

I have the Mac Mini (2010 model) which I use as a media player. I also have a bunch of other media playing devices I tried BEFORE deciding to just use a computer. I have the new ipad, the older Asus Transformer with the keyboard dock. For phones I have the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and somewhere in my house I have a HTC Thunderbolt and an original Droid.

Video game systems? Too many, but basically all the current ones (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, N3DS, PS Vita) and I don't even play video games much :(

·
Registered
702 Posts
Oh I'm sure we can all have a nice discussion about our personal preferences without entering into some fanboy crap :)

I kind of miss my HP Touchpad now. Sold it to my sister for my nephew and it BOTHERS me so much to see how he doesn't take care of it. I tend to keep all my gadgets in almost perfect shape and I get sort of attached to them but I didn't know it would bother me so much.

At home I have 1 PC which is my Gaming PC, but it kind of needs replacing, doesn't handle new games all that well. But then I don't play WoW or any other MMO anymore so as much as I want to replace it, I can't find a good reason to.

I also have my laptop, nothing special, just an i5 processor samsung 17 incher. I have an older Compaq laptop somewhere that I don't use because it overheats like crazy and shuts down.

I have the Mac Mini (2010 model) which I use as a media player. I also have a bunch of other media playing devices I tried BEFORE deciding to just use a computer. I have the new ipad, the older Asus Transformer with the keyboard dock. For phones I have the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and somewhere in my house I have a HTC Thunderbolt and an original Droid.

Video game systems? Too many, but basically all the current ones (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, N3DS, PS Vita) and I don't even play video games much :(
I'm pretty sure you have too much money.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't make much money, but I do have a roommate (INTJ) and it's not like I have a family to take care of...

I do waste too much money, I will not deny that.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I used to spend tons on my comp but gave that up some years ago. Now I run a Frankenstein of all those comps, Vista, and the cheapest parts off Newegg when I absolutely need them. PC all the way. I got two old Apples in the garage that aren't worth crap atm; whereas my old PC's still produce a part every now and then. But I know some security guys with valuable stuff on their comps and they prefer Apple for security reasons. I spend almost zero on video games, but I still love them so. The free-to-play game market keeps getting better, and the little browser games fascinate me most atm. Online chess is always entertaining.

One monitor on forums and news, one monitor on chess or kongregate, and the big screen on global news is how I usually roll when I'm at home.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I think most INTP's are into gadgets and the internet. So I'm wondering what are some of your preferences.

Like do you prefer Macs vs PCs? iOS over Android? Facebook, Twitter, Google +? .
I use Macs, because I have access to them, they look nice, and don't really need a PC (except for Paint Tool Sai mehhh... but Parallels Desktop takes care of that). Currently I have a Macbook Pro 13 inch 2010 model, 8 GB ram, 750 GB hard drive. I want a SSD, but I would have to get a bigger external drive.

I've only used iOS, except for on my sister's Kindle Fire. I found the Kindle Fire sort of annoying, media-wise. WTF is this, you can't connect it to a computer to at least put some music on it?! Took forever to find out where to upload music to the Amazon Cloud.
I have an iPhone 3Gs and recently, the iPad 3/the new iPad (I don't know what to call it).

I hate social networking, but will use forums, Tumblr, deviantART, and twitter.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Computer: Dual Boot with Linux Mint 12 Cinnamon Desktop and Windows 7
-Specs: 6GB RAM, AMD Athlon II Quad Core 2.8Ghz (I need an upgrade) Dual Monitors
I prefer Linux for most things. Programming GUIs or Windows programming sadly requires a Windows OS so....

As for Macs, I honestly think their hardware is extremely overpriced the point of it being humorous. When I build a compatible system (still cheaper than a Mac but 4x as powerful), I may make one of my virtual OSs running Lion just to show off and play with it a bit. The OS a whole is pretty sleek, but considering the hardware is the same....I don't know where that price tag comes from.

Phone: Droid Bionic

And I use Facebook (to stalk people of course) and IRC.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What I really dislike right now is how many companies are trying to copy the Macbook Air, but not only in style they also copy it in Price. I mean, right now Apple seems to be the cheap alternative. Same with Tablets really, the HP Touchpad to me is a great example of a product that probably could have sold VERY well at $300 but nooo they had to sell it at the same price as the iPad.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have a Windows 7 Laptop and a Macbook Pro.

I use Windows more, but I like Mac just as much.

Facebook because it's easier to use in my opinion.

I mostly use my Mac for animating programs and for school work. I use my Windows for every-day things and for my other programs,.. mostly art programs like Photoshop and Paint Tool SAI.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts