Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done one of these courses and taught English to people abroad?

I'm just thinking about my options for what I'll like to do after University. I'm looking into travelling, getting a job within the video games industry or learning a level editing tool. I looked into travelling and the options you have are round the world trip, working holiday and learning or teaching a language abroad. Out of the travelling options, I think learning or teaching a language abroad looks cheaper than the others.

I wanted to find out if anyone has done TEFL or considered doing it.

·
Banned
5,780 Posts
Wow three threads. You must really want to do this.

Okay so first hit on google is this: Welcome - TEFL.com

That should be a good launching point. Other opportunities include the Peace Corps and organizations like it, but I am getting that you would rather do this in a developed nation where you would have the occupational and economic freedom to roam hither and thither wherever your disposition may lead you. In that case, something like the Peace Corps would not be a good fit.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that if you want to join the Peace Corps you must be a US citizen. However, there are other international organizations that do similar activities.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol it was a mistake. Was editing the title and I realised it came out three times.

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
I've seriously considered this as a career for myself :) You can read a lot of online testimonials of people who taught abroad. A lot of the stories are truly fascinating and touching. It seems like an experience I would really love and enjoy :3

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@AceFace Yeah it does look good. It is the cheapest option for travelling. Going on a round the world trip or a working holiday seems a bit more expensive. Are you in University?

Reactions: Ace Face

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
I'll never experience this myself, although i think for any ENFP who is searching and wanting to travel it would be a brilliant way of seeing the world while getting educated at the same time. I vision an ENFP being capable / adaptable and really good with this kind of teaching. In the end both the teacher and student would learn more about the world.

Reactions: Tega1

·
Registered
134 Posts
I didn't go through TEFL, but I taught abroad for a year and I loved it. I'm thinking about going back and doing it again! Got to travel, got paid, got to speak about fun topics in English (worked with middle school students, so they had a pretty decent level of English). I would definitely recommend it!

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
@AceFace Yeah it does look good. It is the cheapest option for travelling. Going on a round the world trip or a working holiday seems a bit more expensive. Are you in University?
I will be going back to school to finish up my psychology degree next semester :) How about you?

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Ace Face Yeah I'm in University. I'm studying Computer Games Design. In my final year now. Have a few months left. I graduate in July.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Ace Face Thanks. I have a few Uni Assignments left. I get my results in July so I'll now if I'll be graduating then. Trying to think of what I want to do afterwards. Have some spare time atm.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Ace Face I'm thinking of travelling, doing a masters in a games design course, looking to get into the games industry as a qa tester or learning how to use level editing tools. I'll like to travel. Looked at the different travel options and the TEFL looks the cheapest.

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
@Ace Face I'm thinking of travelling, doing a masters in a games design course, looking to get into the games industry as a qa tester or learning how to use level editing tools. I'll like to travel. Looked at the different travel options and the TEFL looks the cheapest.
Ohhhh, okay. I see what you're saying now. If that's what you want, go for it, baby! You've only got one life. Make the absolute most of it :) Go teach abroad. It seems to be a very rewarding experience. I imagine you would greatly appreciate such an experience :)

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@Ace Face Yeah I would. I've never taught anyone before let alone children or young people.

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
@Ace Face Yeah I would. I've never taught anyone before let alone children or young people.
You've never taught before? Is there a way that you could put yourself in a position in which you have to lead? Maybe help coach a rec. team to gain some confidence and experience in teaching? Or even take a small step by being an elementary tutor :)

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No I haven't taught before. Yeah I could do that. Yeah that would be a good way to get confidence. The course I don't think you need any teaching background or experience because they train you and get experience teaching in the class.

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
No I haven't taught before. Yeah I could do that. Yeah that would be a good way to get confidence. The course I don't think you need any teaching background or experience because they train you and get experience teaching in the class.
They do! I assumed you were concerned about it and perhaps wanted to gain some extra confidence or experience :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts